Who is the biggest manufacturer?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That would be 2K...and he gets even funnier than that... :laugh:

:agree2:

There is a big difference between trying to pick the best saws in each class, and being blindfoldedly brand loyal - specially for a person that has no obligations to the brands, like 2K and you!

:cheers:

Last edited:
I am still laughing at the guy who said the MS-290 was a "great" saw!

You might want to laugh at yourself for being blind. The 290 serves it purpose to many guys and gals. It is a well built saw(not like the pos huskapullons in blowes) that can take some abuse and keep on ticking. If you never pick up a 361 or 440 then the 290 will suit you fine. You got to realize most are not going to spend $600+ on a saw to cut a few cords of firewood or fell a few trees with.;)

You might want to laugh at yourself for being blind. The 290 serves it purpose to many guys and gals. It is a well built saw(not like the pos huskapullons in blowes) that can take some abuse and keep on ticking. If you never pick up a 361 or 440 then the 290 will suit you fine. You got to realize most are not going to spend $600+ on a saw to cut a few cords of firewood or fell a few trees with.;)

Before you go off on me, I repair these machines daily. I have sold Stihl, Husky, Dolmar and many others.

Dont try and defend yourself now, YOU said the MS-290 was a "great" machine!

Maybe it is just that you do not have very high standards and love fat women, slow cars and cardboard boxes for a house. I am not bashing you just mentioning that I thought the statement was funny.

Dont try and defend yourself now, YOU said the MS-290 was a "great" machine!

I will stand by my statement and say it is a great saw. Anyone would be better off getting a 290 from a dealer than picking up a huskapullon from lowes that the salemen has no clue about. When that said person has a problem, he can take it back to the dealer and have it worked out. You don't get that at blowes. Now if you want to compare these to more expensive pro units, then the great saw factor goes away. More homeowner type saws are sold than pros from the difference in $$$$. I had a 029 and recommend them to folks who shi* when I say how much a pro saw would be. I was using the 029 one day along with the amazing 440 and figured the weight of the 440 was kind of close to the 029 but the 440 ripped the 029's arse in a cut. So I sold the 029 on ebay and made all of my $$$$ back plus $100.

I will stand by my statement and say it is a great saw. Anyone would be better off getting a 290 from a dealer than picking up a huskapullon from lowes that the salemen has no clue about. When that said person has a problem, he can take it back to the dealer and have it worked out. You don't get that at blowes. Now if you want to compare these to more expensive pro units, then the great saw factor goes away. More homeowner type saws are sold than pros from the difference in $$$$. I had a 029 and recommend them to folks who shi* when I say how much a pro saw would be. I was using the 029 one day along with the amazing 440 and figured the weight of the 440 was kind of close to the 029 but the 440 ripped the 029's arse in a cut. So I sold the 029 on ebay and made all of my $$$$ back plus $100.

I dont think anyone was arguing about Poulan saws except for you.

The MS-290 may do the job but it is FAR from a "great" saw.

I dont think anyone was arguing about Poulan saws except for you.

The MS-290 may do the job but it is FAR from a "great" saw.

It's pullon not poulan. And yes, the 290 does get the job done and to it's owners, it's a great saw.

Got another 290 story for ya. A friend called me awhile ago to help clear a tree fallen in his backyard. I took the 029 and 440 along. Got to the oak tree and it was maybe 20-23" at the base. He knows how to use a saw so I let him run the 029 and I used the 440. He noticed that mine was hauling butt through the wood and wanted to give it a spin. He was astounded by the power and wanted one real bad. After about 3 hours it was all cleaned up and ready to give off some heat. Downed a few cold ones and he asked about the 440, wanted to know if our local guy had one and how much they were. After saying around $740, he liked to spit beer all over me.:dizzy: He asked about the 029 and did they sell those. I said yup, go get ya a 290 for about $350. That next day he was the pround owner of a new 290.

It's pullon not poulan. And yes, the 290 does get the job done and to it's owners, it's a great saw.

Got another 290 story for ya. A friend called me awhile ago to help clear a tree fallen in his backyard. I took the 029 and 440 along. Got to the oak tree and it was maybe 20-23" at the base. He knows how to use a saw so I let him run the 029 and I used the 440. He noticed that mine was hauling butt through the wood and wanted to give it a spin. He was astounded by the power and wanted one real bad. After about 3 hours it was all cleaned up and ready to give off some heat. Downed a few cold ones and he asked about the 440, wanted to know if our local guy had one and how much they were. After saying around $740, he liked to spit beer all over me.:dizzy: He asked about the 029 and did they sell those. I said yup, go get ya a 290 for about $350. That next day he was the pround owner of a new 290.

I got one more 290 story for you.

Local guy comes in after buying a 290 about 1 year prior from another dealer. The saw had maybe 10 hours at MOST, the clutch blew apart on it and the clutch spring took out the oiler as well as other small damage. Parts alone ran $150. He decided not to fix it and I still have it today. Have had other with the same issue except some the spring takes out the nipple to the gas tank then the parts price goes way up.

Thats not to mention you cant even get in and brush around the cylinder fins to keep them clean without spending over an hour to tear it all apart.

That does not define a "great" saw in my book. I would much rather have a Dolmar 5100 for the same price.

I got one more 290 story for you.

Local guy comes in after buying a 290 about 1 year prior from another dealer. The saw had maybe 10 hours at MOST, the clutch blew apart on it and the clutch spring took out the oiler as well as other small damage. Parts alone ran $150. He decided not to fix it and I still have it today. Have had other with the same issue except some the spring takes out the nipple to the gas tank then the parts price goes way up.

Thats not to mention you cant even get in and brush around the cylinder fins to keep them clean without spending over an hour to tear it all apart.

That does not define a "great" saw in my book. I would much rather have a Dolmar 5100 for the same price.

That should have been taken care of under warrenty. That is the first time I have heard of that problem also....

Brush to keep the fins clean on a 10 hour saw? Don't ya'll have shop air? Take the cover off and blow it out.

Yup, the 5100 would be the better saw but finding a Dolmar dealer could pose a problem.

Back