Who knows tractors??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishcountry

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Alright guys I know this is off topic , but I have been looking for a tractor to do some dutys around my property moving some dirt around but more importantly move some logs. I stumbled onto a international harvester that is a 1981-82 (older gentleman wasn't sure without looking at it and calling back) 60 hp diesel with loader for $5000 it all works well except the gauges and some lights of course, its a bit beat up and could use some paint and a new seat he mentioned it uses a bit of hydraulic fluid (a half gallon or so in the 2 months its run everyday) but would this sucker move some logs?? I would like it to unload pallets also around 1200 lbs its listed as a industrial loader and it has all the goodies for running things off PTO 3 point hitch ect. which I have some attachments already. I know this isn't a milling thing but i'm desperate and i trust the opinions on this site so anyone that can give me a idea if this is something to look into please post what you think!! Thanks for your time irishcountry

What model is it? It should handle what your wanting to do with it. If the loader isn't a beat up POS. 60 HP is a decent sized tractor. Ever consider a skid steer? You can find good deals on those as well and are very versatile, I perfer one over a loader tractor.

I'll keep that in mind I ran a "bobcat' when I was younger and they can get alot done also!! The model is a IH 2500 diesel. It has 2 buckets one large and one the guy suggested if you want to dig a little that is smaller.. I guess I figured 60 HP is pretty hefty especially compared to some of the little compact tractors you see on the market now.. Thanks for the reply irishcountry

I spend some time on http://tractorbynet.com/ which is to tractor guys what this site is to us so you might want to search that site for info on your tractor.. I have a 25 hp ford 1710 with a front end loader. This has been invaluable for me as I work most often by myself. I built some pallet forks for the fel that I use for moving logs. I can lift about 900 lbs max with this rig. There are many logs I cannot lift but I just chain them up and skid them. For moving cants and milled lumber it is fantastic. Based on my experience 60hp should be more than enough and easily handle the weight that you are looking for. Be cautious of those hydraulic problems. If the cylinders on the FEL are leaking then you have a potentially dangerous situation when you are lifting heavy loads. A leaking cylinder when you have 1200 lbs 6 feet in the air is never a good thing. In your price range (5k) you should have no problem finding a good machine in good working order, even if you have to go down a little in horsepower. Skid steers are excellent as well but you cannot drive them on public roads and I do like the fact that I can drive my tractor wherever I need to go and pull a trailer load of logs at the same time.
You have to be careful when you get into tractors, you can spend just as much time improving the tractor and adding implements as you do acquiring chainsaws!

Allright thanks for the replys and links I will do some more research. I was kinda wondering if it might be a little too much tractor maybe could get something smaller in nicer condition and yes I am also afraid I will get the bug to restore or buy lots of other stuff for it just like getting into milling and saws!! Thanks for all the info I'll keep you posted irishcountry

If you like the tractor don't let the leaking cylinders scare you away. They are easy to rebuild. And it sounds like it's just got bad seals.

The 2500 is actually the industrial version of a 584. Which replaced the 574 in 1978.

I would stick with the tractor and NOT get a skid loader.
Skid loaders are excellent and verry efficcient at what they were designed to do....loader work.

Tractors are more versitale, they can mow, bushhog, pull things, go 20+mph down the road, etc etc.

Now some may argue that you can also bushog and run post hole diggers on a skid steere too, but I don't plan on spending 3000+ on a bushhog and 1500+ on a post hole digger.

3ph attachments have been around forever and they are dirt cheap for used ones.

I agree with dallasm1 too....go to tractorbynet

Skid loaders are excellent and verry efficcient at what they were designed to do....loader work.

Tractors are more versitale, they can mow, bushhog, pull things, go 20+mph down the road, etc etc.

Now some may argue that you can also bushog and run post hole diggers on a skid steere too, but I don't plan on spending 3000+ on a bushhog and 1500+ on a post hole digger.

3ph attachments have been around forever and they are dirt cheap for used ones.

I agree with dallasm1 too....go to tractorbynet

Tractors are not more versatile that skid steers:)

The main functions of a tractor.
Plow
Disc
Cultivate
Brush Hog
Front End Loader
Planters
Post Hole Digger
Scrapper boxes
Hay rakes
hay bines
Hay bailers
Skidding Logs
3 pt. back hoe
Some can use grapple buckets.
auxillary hydraulics
bail forks
Log splitters
What else am I missing???

Skid Steers
front loaders
Post Hole digger
brooms
backhoe
auger
boring units
many variations of bail handling attachments
brush hog
Brush Chippers
4-1 buckets
Concrete Mixers
Concrete pumps
Dozer baldes
graders
Forrestry Cutters
Graders
bail forks
grapple buckets
pallet forks
Hydralic Concrete breakers
Land planes
Landscape rakes
Trench packer wheels
asphalt planners
Plate compactors
trenchers
Ice scrappers
Snow blades (std and V)
Seeders
Snow pushers
Silt fence Installers
Snow Blowers
Sod layers
Soil Cultivators
Soil Conditioners
Stump grinders
Three point hitch adaptors for using the low cost 3 pt attachments
Tillers
Tree spades
Truss booms
Vibratory plows
Vibratory rollers
Wheels saws
Fence post drivers
Tree sheers
Tree planters
Log splitters
This is just a fraction of attachments. These are just what Bobcat offers, there are many more speciality atttachments made by other companies. I would guess 350+.
And all of these attachments can be quickly changed out in seconds, try that with three pointers:)

Sure you can drive skid steers down the road, some have 2 sp. I wouldn't want to do it all the time but I have if it's within a couple miles.
The only thing that I would use a tractor over a skid steer is for brush hog and hay equipment. I have a IH 560, it needs a head gasket right now but it won't get used near as much as that 773 Bobcat I have.\

As for the cost of attachments.... Rent them, you normally don't need an attachment for more than a weekend. PLus you have zero upkeep on them and don't have to store them. I've rented stump grinders, trencher, concrete breaker and an auger. Weekend rental costs ranged from 50-150.
A must have attachment for a tree/wood guy would be a grapple bucket and pallet forks.

Last edited:
I should have been more clear.

From a cost standpoint they are more efficcient to become versitle. I dont like renting equipment.

A lot of what you listed for skid steer attachments can also be had for a 3ph.
And a lot of what you listed is stuff you'll never use unless you are a big construction outfit like concrete pumps, asphalt plannners, plate compactors, etc.

Point being they both have their place. There are some jobs that are beter done with a skid steer and some better with a tractor. The biggest reason I perfer a tractor for 90% of what I do is visibality. Unless you are going forward a skid steers visibility sucks.

I guess we need to know more of what your intended uses are.

For me it's 40% towing the wood hauling trailer, 40% mowing/bushhogging, and 20% FEL work so a Skid steer doesn't suit my needs but 20% of the time.

If I had the money I would have both. If I was using tractor/skid steer to make a living it would be the skid steer hands down. A friend of mine runs a landscaping business and he has the big bobcat with tracks and quick attach fel and grapple. He can clear an acre in no time at all. But his rig and trailer are MUCH more money that I can afford. The skid steer without tracks gets the nod if you don't need to move around much and the ground is solid and relatively level. My tractor has ag tires and 4 wheel drive so I can work in the bush and not leave a big footprint. Of course I can't turn on a dime like a skid steer. There are always trade offs when you are on a budget.

Hey --- I will use it for lots of farm/property tasks and I already have access to or have inherited too many 3 point attachments to not go with a tractor brushhog,drag harrow(sp?) plows, disc cultivator and a sicklebar mower which will be nice to use around our ponds. I will also need it for some dirt,manure,gravel, log and firewood hauling on the premises. Some small digging/grading also. One biggie for me is lifting large round bales I have been told it should be rated to lift 1200 lbs or so for those which I think it will. For the money after looking at lots of tractor options it lots of HP for the money even if its beat up and the gauges don't work well. I would imagine if I take care of the engine ect. it could last a long time. I have used a old ford 8n that has been in the family since I was born at least it has seen better days and done its duty it is also a little small for some of what I want to do. I won't miss the transmission on it either!! This tractor i'm looking at has a pedal hydrotrans push fwd go fwd push back on the pedal and its reverse sounds like a nice feature we had a old bolens garden tractor like that when I was a kid it was nice. Anyway thanks for all the input like I said I trust the opinions on this site!! Thanks guys tare er' easy irishcountry

I do have both, and the uses break down for me:
Skid Steer- moving dirt/gravel in a hurry
Tractor- everything else

FWIW, the tractors are used everyday, the Bobcat is parked most of the time. But when I do get on it, jobs get done quickly. They will work circles around a front end loader.

There's NO question, when it comes to all around use, the tractor has it all over the skid steer. I don't even have a skid steer any longer, but i wouldn't be without a tractor...

Rob

Go for the tractor

Here are some pics of a ih 2400a that I found for my father last fall. Mine had a blown c-175 gas, and now has a c-200 gas which is the same as a 2500A gas motor or a 574.
***********************************/Forum/showthread.php?t=8525

International Harvester used the same basic tractor platform to make at least the following machines, paver, utility tractor, forklift, tractor loader backhoe, skip loader, and probably something else.

Yours is of the skiploader version, it had a cast bull nose, or front grill, a cast heavy duty front axle designed for constant loader use, and a heavy duty front end loader built to dig and load trucks. As well as a ceramic clutch and / or a hydrostatic transmission.

1/2 a gallon over 2 months is no big thing, especially if he is hooking and unhooking the hydraulic hoses. Everytime you couple and uncouple a little bit of oil is lost, if you can see oil leaving a spot underneath it, or wet spots on hydraulic cylinders, thats a different story and should be fixed.

A tractor of that size will play with 1200 pounds, and should be able to handle a ton on the level. Now if you get on a slope, your load rating goes down cause the load picks up on the back tires and you loose traction, its one of the bad things about 2wd.

As for versitility, in the woods, a tractor flat out puts the smack down on a skid steer, and here are the reasons why.

1.) Try skidding out a top with a skidloader on a narrow logging road, thats say even a 1/4 of a mile long, thats a long way to backup... and how good is your visibility in reverse? Tractor, just chain the log to a drawbar thru the three point, lift it up and go, or you can use reverse with much better visibility.

2.) Ever ran a skidsteer in the the mud on a slight incline, they are almost helpless, go to turn and you loose all traction... Tractor, its no big deal, just mud.

3.) Uneven terain, with a skidsteer, you have no oscelation in your axles, they are all rigid mount, which means unless your on flat terain they are unstable. Tractor, your front axle can pivot to account for that...

4.) Slopes... get much of a slope with a skidsteer and they are too short to go up and down safley, you will have to back up a slope and drive down them to keep them stable. Tractor, it don't matter, though for real steep stuff. keep your bucket in front so you can stop yourself.

5.) Pulling a wagon or a trailer, not even close....

6.) Tire wear, a skidsteer might get 1200 hours if your good to it on a set of rubber, a tractor can get 15 years.

7.) loading a comercial dump truck, with a skidsteer, you need to be almost touching the truck to make it in and your craining your neck to see your bucket. Tractor, usually they lift higher and you set back farther making it easier to see what your doing.

Now for some things to check before you take the 2500 home. Their hydrostatic transmissions were awesome for their timeframe, today they can be a very expensive repair. Have someone that knows what they are doing go over that area well. Also they are not the best transmission to have for heavy pulling like plowing, the transmission likes to get too hot and that is the end for the hydro. They are awesome for shuttle work or pto work like bailing hay because you can adjust ground speed without adjusting rpms, or clutching.

Also see if it has a block heater, if not, you might wanna add one. Those particular diesels can be grumpy below 30.

Other than that, just the standard tractor stuff, they were and are a very good and hany tractor to have around.

Last edited:
As for versitility, in the woods, a tractor flat out puts the smack down on a skid steer, and here are the reasons why.

A skidsteer is more nimble in the woods. They turn to sharp not to be.

1.) Try skidding out a top with a skidloader on a narrow logging road, thats say even a 1/4 of a mile long, thats a long way to backup... and how good is your visibility in reverse? Tractor, just chain the log to a drawbar thru the three point, lift it up and go, or you can use reverse with much better visibility.

This is a easy fix. Buck the logs into lengths and use a grapple bucket and drive them out. I do it all the time.

2.) Ever ran a skidsteer in the the mud on a slight incline, they are almost helpless, go to turn and you loose all traction... Tractor, its no big deal, just mud.

I guess someone forgot to tell me that they are useless, 3 guys, a chipper and a skidsteer cleared a 100' path wide 1 1/2 miles long in some of the most trickest ground I've had the pleasure to work on. A lot of mud and way to many elevation changes.

3.) Uneven terain, with a skidsteer, you have no oscelation in your axles, they are all rigid mount, which means unless your on flat terain they are unstable. Tractor, your front axle can pivot to account for that....

You are right! They become very nervous to operate you must know your limits. I just did a fence row with mine and the field elevations were different and the loader tractor caused huge ruts that caused a lot of problems for me as a operator. Scary at times. But I could get in there where the loader tractor operator could not. Thats why I was hired to clear it.

4.) Slopes... get much of a slope with a skidsteer and they are too short to go up and down safley, you will have to back up a slope and drive down them to keep them stable. Tractor, it don't matter, though for real steep stuff. keep your bucket in front so you can stop yourself.

I've ran alot of equipment, backhoes, dozers, tractors and skidsteers. None perform well and leave you with tons of confidence on really steep inclines.

5.) Pulling a wagon or a trailer, not even close.....

I agree, a skidsteer no matter what attachment pulls wagons or trailers well. It's definatly out of it's element there.

6.) Tire wear, a skidsteer might get 1200 hours if your good to it on a set of rubber, a tractor can get 15 years.

Yep they suck too!!

7.) loading a comercial dump truck, with a skidsteer, you need to be almost touching the truck to make it in and your craining your neck to see your bucket. Tractor, usually they lift higher and you set back farther making it easier to see what your doing.

Never had to many problems there, they have windows in the top of the cab for that.

Here is some pics of the above mentioned job in Southern Indiana. After it was logged we cleaned all the tops and smaller trees with just a chipper and a skidsteer and a Dozer to pull the chipper.

purdue004.jpg

purdue006.jpg

purdue013.jpg

purdue008.jpg

purdue015.jpg

purdue014-1.jpg

Here is the loader tractor that I always back up when doing fence rows. He pushes the trees over and I haul them to the burn pile.
misc002.jpg

If a over the tire tracked skidsteer works for you, then keep using it. A tractor works for me, and thats what I'm going to use.

Nice pics, I always liked those little case dozers, the three speed track controlls are handy.

Are those pics of some of the rougher terrain you work?

If a over the tire tracked skidsteer works for you, then keep using it. A tractor works for me, and thats what I'm going to use.

Nice pics, I always liked those little case dozers, the three speed track controlls are handy.

Are those pics of some of the rougher terrain you work?

I agree to everyone his own:cheers: But they are not helpless in mud or hills and thats all I was trying to say! I know I have more people that have loader tractors asking me to help them than I ask them to help me. And I'm talking strictly woods and tree/fence row work. I do borrow that 210 for mowing as you can see in that pic.

That job was some of the rougher inclines I've worked. I didn't take as many pics as I could have but the pictures don't show all the crap. There was a lot of muck and the stumps to work around and of course the hills. It was a rough 2 weeks. But here at home our woods has many hills that I manage with. I wouldn't take my tractor down anything that I wouldn't take my skidsteer down or up.:cheers:

I agree to everyone his own:cheers: But they are not helpless in mud or hills and thats all I was trying to say! I know I have more people that have loader tractors asking me to help them than I ask them to help me. And I'm talking strictly woods and tree/fence row work. I do borrow that 210 for mowing as you can see in that pic.

That job was some of the rougher inclines I've worked. I didn't take as many pics as I could have but the pictures don't show all the crap. There was a lot of muck and the stumps to work around and of course the hills. It was a rough 2 weeks. But here at home our woods has many hills that I manage with. I wouldn't take my tractor down anything that I wouldn't take my skidsteer down or up.:cheers:

I agree, each to there own, BUT i can tell you my experience with a skidsteer It was pretty much helpless on hills and in the mud! Forget doing much of anything with a bigger log, except rolling that log around packing it with mud!

I then put tracks on it, and that did give it traction... It also made it tear up the ground worse than my dozer does, and i just hated to use it around the mill site with the tracks on it...

And then their just wasn't anything i could do about the fact it wouldn't pick up any big logs, so i got smart FAST and got rid of the dang thing.

I bought a MFWD tractor, and a "quality" loader for it, and i've never looked back! Now i have something that will pick up big logs, (it's rated at over 3,500 pounds) and walk right through mud with them, even deep mud, even on hills...

Best part is, i can load my dozer on a trailor, and pull it to the woods with the tractor! The tractor will do 22 MPH in road gear, and it's ready for what ever work i have when it gets there...

I'll also mention that i drive it to jobs around here, doing custom rotavateing too? At 22 MPH, even a job five miles away is no problem. I get there fast, and then the clock starts, so i'm making money!!

A skidsteer is a great tool, just NOT a great all around tool!

Rob

Back