Who knows tractors??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey thanks stumpjumper it looks like its a tank with a loader on it!! How does you dad like his?? The one I was looking at is the hydro trans and it sounds like they are expensive to fix supposedly this one is in good working order is that a chance that would be worth taking?? thanks for the info again I have another lead on another type of tractor i'm checking into also so we'll see what happens!! thanks for all the replys much appreciated irishcountry

How far are you willing to travel for one. In the Indiana auto and RV trader there is a beautiful 606 IH with a front end loader for 4500.00 it's in New Castle Indiana. Pm me if you want the guys number.

Here's the description:
Gas, single remote, IH loader, PS, 3 pt fast hitch, good rubber, good TA, runs good 4500.00

tractors...

I'd advise staying away from a 606 entirely unless you want it from a collectors stand point, especially if its a gas /diesel. The diesel engine in them starts on gas, but runs on diesel, they have a carborator, distributor, injection pump, sparkplugs, injectors, and three sets of valves, starting, intake, and exhaust. Two fuel tanks... complete dual fuel systems. There was not too many of these tractors produced from new, most set up as western wheatlanders.

Because the head has so many holes in it, they are prone to warping and cracking, especially if they are not properly warmed up and cooled down after use. Compounding that, the starting valves and heads are getting rare, especially good ones. I've seen cracked heads sell for $2500, and repair is on the new owner, because they are that hard to find.

On that note, some had a straight diesel engine on them, that isnt too bad, just grumpy in the cold. Probably the best motor is the straight gas.

Another thing, the older torque amplifier style will let the tractor free wheel in low range. So your going down hill, and throw the t/a, and you just put it in neutral, and you can't pull the ta back in... hope your brakes are good... With the 66 series, they fixed that problem with the t/a's, those had lockup in low range on the t/a. There is conversion kits available to put the new t/a in a old tractor. To explain it a little better, any letter tractor - h,m,w,I, &o as well as the super and diesel's, any 350 thru 650, any 460 thru 660, any 506 thu 2806, any 656 thru 2856, with an original t/a has the old t/a.

Your ih's ending in 66,68,88,84, & 85 all have the new t/a in them. Part of the t/a test is to check that they hold back in low. Oh, 68's are collector specials too, they have v-8's instead of straight 6's

On the ih hydros, as long as they are maintained, as in oil level kept up, and temp kept down, maintence isn't that bad. They are just expensive to fix. Check with a case ih dealer in your area that was an international harvester dealer, they should be able to provide a diagnosis, or point you in the direction of someone who can. I'd sugest goign beyond just checking the filter for metal, I believe that they can use some gauges to check flow and pressure in those hydro units. As well there are some operational tests to perform.

As far a my tractor, Dad just said that its finally out running around, has a new shortblock c-200 installed, new oil pump, all new gaskets, freshly serviced and ready to go to work.

And the rototiller is waiting for it, as I have some foodplots to do with it, logs to skid, dirt to move, barn to clean and other loader chores....

Last edited:
Still sounds like the IH might be the way to go bang for the buck and big loader and HP 4 WD would be nice but not a absolute. Sounds like you know a few things about tractors!! Thanks again for all the info appreciated

oh, and thats a fair price for a 2500 w/ loader, especially if it has good tires, and the hydro checks out. Never hurts to shop around though.

Thankyou, I make money buying broken ones, fixing them, and selling them.

I'd advise staying away from a 606 entirely unless you want it from a collectors stand point, especially if its a gas /diesel. The diesel engine in them starts on gas, but runs on diesel, they have a carborator, distributor, injection pump, sparkplugs, injectors, and three sets of valves, starting, intake, and exhaust. Two fuel tanks... complete dual fuel systems. There was not too many of these tractors produced from new, most set up as western wheatlanders.

Because the head has so many holes in it, they are prone to warping and cracking, especially if they are not properly warmed up and cooled down after use. Compounding that, the starting valves and heads are getting rare, especially good ones. I've seen cracked heads sell for $2500, and repair is on the new owner, because they are that hard to find.

On that note, some had a straight diesel engine on them, that isnt too bad, just grumpy in the cold. Probably the best motor is the straight gas.

Another thing, the older torque amplifier style will let the tractor free wheel in low range. So your going down hill, and throw the t/a, and you just put it in neutral, and you can't pull the ta back in... hope your brakes are good... With the 66 series, they fixed that problem with the t/a's, those had lockup in low range on the t/a. There is conversion kits available to put the new t/a in a old tractor. To explain it a little better, any letter tractor - h,m,w,I, &o as well as the super and diesel's, any 350 thru 650, any 460 thru 660, any 506 thu 2806, any 656 thru 2856, with an original t/a has the old t/a.

Your ih's ending in 66,68,88,84, & 85 all have the new t/a in them. Part of the t/a test is to check that they hold back in low. Oh, 68's are collector specials too, they have v-8's instead of straight 6's

On the ih hydros, as long as they are maintained, as in oil level kept up, and temp kept down, maintence isn't that bad. They are just expensive to fix. Check with a case ih dealer in your area that was an international harvester dealer, they should be able to provide a diagnosis, or point you in the direction of someone who can. I'd sugest goign beyond just checking the filter for metal, I believe that they can use some gauges to check flow and pressure in those hydro units. As well there are some operational tests to perform.

As far a my tractor, Dad just said that its finally out running around, has a new shortblock c-200 installed, new oil pump, all new gaskets, freshly serviced and ready to go to work.

And the rototiller is waiting for it, as I have some foodplots to do with it, logs to skid, dirt to move, barn to clean and other loader chores....

This one is a gas only, it looks to be clean. I've never heard that about the torque amplifiers. My 560 TA is out, don't really need it. They are nice for going down grades to help slow especially for haying, but you can get by without one working you just won't be able to split the gears. From what I've read about them they are a newer version to the 460 and are supposed to be good tractors.

Sure i'm wide open right now do you know the website so I can look at the pics?? Thanks for the info irishcountry

Got a couple nearby over(Due west of ya..to the lake) here as well.
Ones a mid 70's Deere industrial.

Gotta go by there tomorrow/today, and will eyeball the thing as I gotta pick up some filters anyway.

Lotsa folks are clearing out older Iron around here. Some took a bath betting on 6 dollar Corn and got leases they have to pay for and are parting with some nice stuff.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

One more reson for a tractor...

http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=44530&d=1170115673

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?p=570322#post570322

try haulin that up a 30' 1:1 slope to the log road, then a 1/4 mile skid to the landing with a skidloader.

Btw, I had to buck the log to the length shown in the photos, to get the ih 966 to drag her home.... And I just hitched it to my truck for fun, it didnt even budge it.

Bucked, it was 36' long 18" on the small end, 28" on the big end, saw is a 460 with a 24" bar

Last edited:
Ok thanks digeryote appreciate it!! irishcountry

Irish,

The JD is gone. Went cheap.
Other Fork is an older farmall in ROUGH shape.

Does have a real nice International 454 w/ FEL for around 5K.
Had 1,700 hours on the clock.

Might be a little light for your needs though.

I'll keep an eye open. Auctions are coming up, and if there is anything juicy on the bills I'll drop ya a holler.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I seen a 2001 Massey ferg 1240 with loader and box blade for $6000 it was on craigslist in Indiana no pics I e-mailed but no response might be one of those "too good to be true so its a scam things" thanks for keeping me in mind!! Thanks irishcountry

Hi Irish

Check out the local farm auctions. I have been to two in the last month. Tractors have been going cheep. You can usually go early start them up and check them out.

Its really nice to have a 4x4 tractor for loader work. We just bought a 90 hp kubota in Coldwater. 4x4 loader cab and posi lock axles front and rear.

Tractor house is another great place to look for tractors. Here is a listing for 40 to 90hp tractors in michigan. There are 16 pages of 25 tractors per page. You can also have it search for tractors close to you zip code.

http://www.tractorhouse.com/listings/list.aspx?bcatid=464&PCID=&dlr=&dlrgrp=&GUID=C8992FDF05CB4867A69014EA979BBEF0&DidSearch=1&EID=1&CDTS=&CDTE=&ual=0&OAuctions=0&MDLGrp=&ETID=1&catid=1110&Mantxt=&Mdltxt=&mdlx=Contains&DPF=&DPT=&WPF=&WPT=&MPF=&MPT=&PF=&PT=&YF=0&YT=0&EventBD=&EventED=&hrsFrom=&hrsTo=&SN=&DRV=&Name=&CTY=&keywords=&ST=Michigan&txtStates=&LS=&SO=2&btnSearch=Search

home page

http://www.tractorhouse.com/default.asp?pdcl=1

Good luck

Billy

I agree, each to there own, BUT i can tell you my experience with a skidsteer It was pretty much helpless on hills and in the mud! Forget doing much of anything with a bigger log, except rolling that log around packing it with mud!

I then put tracks on it, and that did give it traction... It also made it tear up the ground worse than my dozer does, and i just hated to use it around the mill site with the tracks on it...

And then their just wasn't anything i could do about the fact it wouldn't pick up any big logs, so i got smart FAST and got rid of the dang thing.

I bought a MFWD tractor, and a "quality" loader for it, and i've never looked back! Now i have something that will pick up big logs, (it's rated at over 3,500 pounds) and walk right through mud with them, even deep mud, even on hills...

Best part is, i can load my dozer on a trailor, and pull it to the woods with the tractor! The tractor will do 22 MPH in road gear, and it's ready for what ever work i have when it gets there...

I'll also mention that i drive it to jobs around here, doing custom rotavateing too? At 22 MPH, even a job five miles away is no problem. I get there fast, and then the clock starts, so i'm making money!!

A skidsteer is a great tool, just NOT a great all around tool!

Rob

Got your first nova!!!!!

Hey thanks for the links Cowboy Billy!! I have kept an eye on tractor house and I would like to check out a auction also heard of about some good deals that way. I bet that 90hp kubota comes in handy I have tractor envy but I bet that is out of my price range if I could clear it through the boss I'd love something like that!! HA Ok take care irishcountry

Back