Who makes GB chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skwerl

Will Climb for food
Reaction score
I recently got a loop of chain from someone, it was in a box with a GB label. The chain is .325 pitch, .050 gauge and has K1 on the drivers. It also has a guide line etched in the top of the cutters just like Stihl and some Oregon chain. Does GB make their own chain or is this Carlton or some other brand?

Thanks Ken, I figured someone here would know. It's not bad and seems plenty hard, but with only 1-2 light filings it isn't near as fast as Stihl RM (Stihl doesn't make RS in .325). Was busy working this week and didn't have time to inspect it closely on the bench, I'll check the raker height tomorrow. Might just need a couple swipes with the flat file.

skwerl....Carlton makes alot of chain for different companies.(Solo, Bailey'sWoodsmanPro) What you have is unmarked Carlton. Attention has to be payed to the riders/rakers on Carlton or it just feels blah.

skwerl said:
Thanks Ken, I figured someone here would know. It's not bad and seems plenty hard, but with only 1-2 light filings it isn't near as fast as Stihl RM (Stihl doesn't make RS in .325). Was busy working this week and didn't have time to inspect it closely on the bench, I'll check the raker height tomorrow. Might just need a couple swipes with the flat file.

Stihl does make RS in .325... types 23RS 25RS and 26RS for .063, .058 and .050.

Last edited:
Lakeside53 said:
Stihl does make RS in .325... types 23RS 25RS and 26RS for .063, .058 and .050.
Yes they do, but the RSC variants are not available in .325 so far.

According to the 2006 US catalog, RS is by now history in 3/8", replaced by the two RSC variants (RSC and RSC3).

Stihl has copied the "low-vibe" feature of Oregon LP (and other Oregon types) on the RSC. On the RSC3 they have also copied the "single-hump" low kickback feature from Oregon.

It looks like some Oregon controlled patents has ran out lately, but I could of course be wrong......

Last edited:
Dennis Cahoon said:
Attention has to be payed to the riders/rakers on Carlton or it just feels blah.
So are you suggesting that the rakers need to be taken down more? How much is a good clearance on Carlton chain?

jokers said:
So are you suggesting that the rakers need to be taken down more? How much is a good clearance on Carlton chain?

No....but I've found that they have to be maintained to the proper height everytime you grind or file, to have the Carlton chain cut good at all times.
To many variables to give you an perfect rider/raker height, but once you know where it works best, keep in maintained.

Dennis, have you found Carlton chain to cut slower than oregon or Stihl? I got a loop of Woodsman pro and didnt think it compared to Oregon LG or Stihl RS.
The tooth looks like it has a lower profile and smaller.

I have some old (new) Carlton square chisel .325x.058 chain that is really hard and cuts great; but, even when it is new, Russ, I had to file down the rakers to get it to take a nice chip out of the dead Oak I cut. I was surprised to see it just making a pile of dust instead of chips. Once I filed down the rakers, it cut great, now I hit them a lick or two, each time I sharpen the chain. This is what I'm running on the 361 that Dave modified; so it has the power to take out the chips.

Ill seconed that on having to file the rakers on new carlton chain. I use carltons file guage to set rakers seems with every filing you HAVE to take those rakers down. I find it to be very good chain compared to some of the others out there. just my input, im new to posting here.

Welcome Citree,
Grab a comfy seat, kick back, grab a cold drink and make yourself comfortable. Glad you're here.

SKWERL
Thank you for the invite. I thank all of you regulars here I used a lot of information from u all here to get my bussiness of the ground. I hope to be able to do the same for any others too. ::D

Back