Who makes the "crappiest" chainsaws????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr_Super-hunky

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
With all this talk about Stihl being such a great saw, Huskies being fantastic, Dolmar being a top notch performer, on and on; I've just got to wonder, is there any junk out there??

I mean I've even read some people claiming that the Poulan "Wild Thing" is a great home owner saw..(and maybe it is!).

So, if everything is so great, where is all the junk??. I'm talking about door stops, boat anchors, you know, the ultimate of the crap!!

Now, keep in mind, this is ALL IN FUN of course!, but I would really like to hear about some of the "clunkers" you have used in the past.

"Operator error" should also be mentioned if that is pertinent. When I first bought my little Stihl 021, I actually used it with the chain on backwards like an idiot until I brought it back to the dealer proclaiming I had a "bad" chain.

Needless to say, a big slice of humble pie got served that afternoon!!.

Anyway, back to the question. Ever use any junk? if so, tell us about it.

Craftsman.

My uncle bought a new one to help dad and I on a Saturday (quite a number of years ago). Got 6 or 7 cuts out of it and it was shot. He ended up throwing it away. Not sure why he didn't just return it??

Last edited:
Craftsman.

My uncle bought a new one to help dad and I on a Saturday (quite a number of years ago). Got 6 or 7 cuts out of it and it was shot. He ended up throwing it away. Not sure why he didn't just return it??

Doesn't Craftsman make Husky :hmm3grin2orange:

Doesn't Craftsman make Husky :hmm3grin2orange:

I think they did for a while, but the quality went too high so Husky got a partnership with a chinese company for Northern tool. That seems to be working pretty well.:D :popcorn:

(Acutally, I really don't have any brand loyalties. Just happens to be I have a couple of Stihls and an Echo. Would like a Huysky 346 someday though.)

If it has a prime bulb = crap
It you have to "plug it in" = crap
JMO

Last edited:
From what I've had my hands on at the shop the little new type Homies and small new Macs are about as cheap a saw as they come. Course they don't cost much so I guess ya can't complain, ya get what ya pay for.

Not sure, but I think Craftsman saws are rebadged Poulans. I know they have been for quite some time but I admit they could have changed and I wasn't aware. If you own a 90's Craftsman 3.3 or 3.7, you own a Poulan 300 series saw (305, 335, etc). Those are actually pretty decent saws and are worth rebuilding. The new stuff from both companies is disposable.

Last edited:
Who makes the "crappiest" chainsaws????

Can't answer that question without risking WWIII:laugh:

From what I've had my hands on at the shop the little new type Homies and small new Macs are about as cheap a saw as they come. Course they don't cost much so I guess ya can't complain, ya get what ya pay for.

After all,:taped: :taped: those are made by Husky too...................

Used to cut firewood w/my father-in-law. He had a tough old Husky that just wouldn't quit.

One year he took a wild hair & showed up with a Craftsman.

Couldn't even cut the 1st block w/o breaking.

I think Craftsman saws & junk saws are synonymous.

My first saw, which I still have, was a Craftsman 40cc/18". I still use it for flush cutting bushes and other grunge work that I don't want to put my good saw through. I've abused the heck out of it and it still seems to keep on chugging. That said, it is certainly a crappy saw: spools up slowly, weak as all get out, and a 2 or 3 pull start, even when warm.

The home depot homelites except the timberman 45,if your a homeowner it is a decent clean up saw.My uncle has an early 90's craftsman that ran pretty good but a friend of mine brought me a simaler saw and a newer craftsman i think it was a 06.piece of crap.Older one alright for a back up.I also when i worked as a ranh hand in 05 for an old man he had a2 mccullochs that i wish i bought from his son when he died a eager beaver 3.7 and a little pro mac 110.You couldn't kill those things.

Back