Who makes the "crappiest" chainsaws????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a Poulan "50th anniversary"in 1998 to take care of my "wooded 1 acre lot" in Georgia, the tree's are 100' bean pole oaks, worked Ok for many years, got into lager tree's on a larger property in Florida and it went south in a hurry,

moral of the story, if you need to take care of one or two 10" tree's a year than a poulan will be OK, more than that it does not even qualify as a home owner saw.

I don't like to make a comment on a saw I have never personaly used or seen being used,but. My vote goes to Troy Built saws any one ever see one?
Canadian tire sold them a year or two ago they don't handle them anymore or at least in my part of the country. Was looking at one wile I was shopping for motor oil and fishing tackle:hmm3grin2orange: The hardware manager walked up to me and said you don't want one! they are junk every second one sold is returned and they are made in China, and we have nothing but trouble with them. I think he was right as if Canadian tire stops handling them there must have been some issues with them.

I have a Craftsman/Poulan that has worked like a Dream for many years.

The crappiest Saw that I have ever used was a Brand new Homelite, (never knew the number). It felt like plastic, It had antivibe that was so soft that you could not control the saw. It stopped starting and I adjusted the thing for hours and it would never start. Turns out that it had a key/Keyway that was molded into the flywheel, and had spun it off. Had to replace the flywheel. It belonged to a neighbor who bought it for me to use to saw trees for him.

I think that I actually spun the key off of the flywheel by pulling the start rope.

Anyway, I got it fixed and and quit using it. It still has all of about 4 hours on it.

Who cares what the crappiest saw or company is? From what I read in a recent article a nationwide poll was done to see what saw Americans prefer, Husky won out with around 41% and Stihl was right behind with 40%. The other brands made up the other 19%, but who cares??? Not everybody has $500+ to spend on a "Pro" level saw. I think the best saw out there is the one you can afford and what gets the job done for you. Just like Ford and Chevy.... who gives a damn as long as it gets you there??? With all the things going on in the world why worry? Just be glad you are alive and can use a saw. Alot of people can't even do that. These kinds of topics only lead to pissed off members and retarded comments. Grow up! Later!

Last edited:
Shadow... This is a forum designed for the sole purpose of discussing chainsaws. The best, the worst, the biggest, etc.

Starting a thread about crappy chainsaws will enlighten the masses about what chainsaw to maybe stay away from.

What would you reccommend that we chat about?

Walmart had a saw on the shelf underneath the poulan shelf that had no name on it at all (????). I would bet that was the crappiest saw you could get. I guess I will never know though.

Who knows, maybe ??? makes a FINE saw.:hmm3grin2orange:

home lite 45cc from home depot, lasted maybe a cord along with cutting brush up . swapped it for the 18 inch bar version. this one with daily maintenance lasted maybe 4 cord - now has no compression and leaks oil like a sieve

Who cares what the crappiest saw or company is? From what I read in a recent article a nationwide poll was done to see what saw Americans prefer, Husky won out with around 41% and Stihl was right behind with 40%. The other brands made up the other 19%, but who cares??? Not everybody has $500+ to spend on a "Pro" level saw. I think the best saw out there is the one you can afford and what gets the job done for you. Just like Ford and Chevy.... who gives a damn as long as it gets you there??? With all the things going on in the world why worry? Just be glad you are alive and can use a saw. Alot of people can't even do that. These kinds of topics only lead to pissed off members and retarded comments. Grow up! Later!

Shadow, if these topics piss you off so much, why read them and respond? Just curious.

Every level or class of saw probably has its crap, along with the winners. I'm sure not every pro saw in a class is created equal, just like all homeowner saws are not equal in quality. My little Poulan served me well when it was just used to trim trees and cut a litte firewood. I would take the Poulan over a Crapsman in that class all day long. I'm sure the pro's can compare saws in each class and point out the weak from the strong.

Point is, that's why we're here; to talk about saws and saw related topics. I think the quilting forum is looking for more members if you need a little tamer place to hang out (retarede commennt #1, others to follow):biggrinbounce2:

shadow:

The "purpose" of this thread is two-fold:

1.) To encourage discussions amongst members with similar interests..(this *IS* the CHAINSAW-specific portion of this website, amongst many other specific topics.

2.) To possibly enlighten members like you who may just want the cheapest possible saw to get the job done (as you state), only to find out you were penny wise and pound foolish because the cheap saw you bought (just to get the job done), did'nt even make it through the hour.

That $99.00-$200 saw you just bought (just to get the job done) will actually end up costing you around $500-$600.! How you ask?. It's simple; I call it the 'Harbour Freight Factor"!

You see, when you buy a $14.00 4 inch grinder from Harbour Freight, you will notice that within the first 2 seconds of use, the grinding wheel will actually STOP as soon as you put the tiniest bit of pressure on the wheel. Why?, because it has the cheapest of motors on the planet! (I challenge anyone to find a grinder with a LESS powerful motor!).

Anyway, now that you used this grinder, you cannot return it so you will ultimately end up spending $79.00 for a good Dewalt grinder, or $99.00 for a great Milwaukee grinder. But you see, you now have to add on the original $14.00 + tax for the Harbour freight grinder that is too weak to do any *real* work!.

Now, back to chainsaws...(remember, it IS a chainsaw specific forum!). Say you bought a Craftsman chainsaw for $199.00. It only made it through 1-2 cords of wood before it grenaded. Now you have to go out and buy a *real* saw for at least $300-$350.00.

Don't forget to add the original $200 + tax for the cheap saw onto that figure and....well I know you get the point!!.

The fact is, the information posted in this thread may be very useful to many people who can learn from others mistakes and possibly avoid them. However, some people may just want to find faults in anything and do it the hard way. Thats okay however because someone must make the mistakes for others to learn from!!.;)

Well I hate to say any saw is better than a hand saw or axe or no saw at all. But, I would have to say that little tiny mac eager beaver was one of the hardest saws to run fix and operate ever.
Bob

shadow:

The "purpose" of this thread is two-fold:

1.) To encourage discussions amongst members with similar interests..(this *IS* the CHAINSAW-specific portion of this website, amongst many other specific topics.

Trust me... you don't have to try to stir up topics for people to discuss here. There are more derailed threads that go on fof days on end just "because". LOL

Gary

Trust me... you don't have to try to stir up topics for people to discuss here. There are more derailed threads that go on fof days on end just "because". LOL

Gary
That's what makes it fun!
Now I am going to take it in another direction. Madsaw has his opinion about the little eager beaver granted if I ever had to work on mine it looks scary. But having owned the saw for more than 13years now other than air filters and fuel filters and having used it allot I have never had to work on it it just keeps going. I lent it to a friend once I did'nt know he was going to cut down over 20 small 12'' to 14'' trees with it in a day but it did it and I know it has cut at least 60 pickup loads of wood for me! Not bad for a little homeowner saw. It still has a 150 psi compression and I mainly use it for cutting tree's that have fallen across my 4x4 trail and yard work. But for me it has been a great little saw.

In reality just about every chainsaw maker has had a lemon or two at one time or another.

Homelite made the bullet proof Xl 12's,c5 and 2100 and they also gave birth to the xl2.

McCulloch had the 125's,millions of 10 series,then came the Mini Macs.

Poulan must have made millions of plastic saws that were sold by Sears and Roebuck.They also made some good sturdy ones like the S-25.

Ford had the Edsel,Chevy had the Vega.

Walmart had a saw on the shelf underneath the poulan shelf that had no name on it at all (????). I would bet that was the crappiest saw you could get. I guess I will never know though.

Who knows, maybe ??? makes a FINE saw.:hmm3grin2orange:

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one that LOOKS at saws at Wally World. I sure aint buying one though.

Really don't know why I look but I do most every time. Mama calls it the "Oh pretty" look. :hmm3grin2orange:

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one that LOOKS at saws at Wally World. I sure aint buying one though.

Really don't know why I look but I do most every time. Mama calls it the "Oh pretty" look. :hmm3grin2orange:
Wally world does not sell saws up here any more, or at least in my home town they got out of it. No gas powered chain saw's to be found in any of the stores. But we still have Canadian tire. Dam thing is a few years ago they sold Makita saw's at a good price, keep kicking myself for not getting a 540.

Shadow, if these topics piss you off so much, why read them and respond? Just curious.

Every level or class of saw probably has its crap, along with the winners. I'm sure not every pro saw in a class is created equal, just like all homeowner saws are not equal in quality. My little Poulan served me well when it was just used to trim trees and cut a litte firewood. I would take the Poulan over a Crapsman in that class all day long. I'm sure the pro's can compare saws in each class and point out the weak from the strong.

Point is, that's why we're here; to talk about saws and saw related topics. I think the quilting forum is looking for more members if you need a little tamer place to hang out (retarede commennt #1, others to follow):biggrinbounce2:

Blah, Blah, Blah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! To quote CJ from San Andreas, "You wanna get dumped on?"

Latest posts

Back