Who pays retail at their Stihl dealer?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i have a contractors account at both my preferred dealers. anything is 10% off but lots is 15% as well. lots of gear like fallers pant, boots, or most other clothing i get 20% even. with saws it usually works out to just under the sticker price taxes in with a 36 bar/chain. i will kick in the extra $70 and they give me a light bar though.

Yeah, I am disdainful of a-holes haggling over a repair bill. and they are biatchin about me charging $2.49 for a spark plug.

They say, "WalMart sells the same plug for $1.89"!!!!

I have been known to say, "Take your ass to WalMart!!!!!!"...

the BPMR7a is $5.89 here in Canada. some places charge over $6. think i pay just under $4 on the contractor rate. if your selling champions i'd ***** about the $2.49 and request my old plug to be reinstalled lol

I called 4 sellers to get their price on the MS291 w 20" bar 4 or so years ago, one was about $50 cheaper than the rest. When I got there I found the saw on the shelf for about the price everyone else quoted. I spoke to an employee and told him the price I was quoted and the name of the guy I spoke to an hour before on the phone. Apparently a new hire goofed and quoted the price for a cheaper saw, but they did sell the 291 to me for the price quoted.

CJ7Y us what we put in most saws. Been using champion in the shop since 1986, never had an issue.

Stihl dealers have their cost and SRP written in backwards so that the customer across the counter can't read it.
If you want a Stihl, tell the stupid dealer to read that number from right to left, add 50 bucks, leave it in the box and don't touch it.

I had a heck of a time even finding a dealer who knew a 241 existed when I bought mine. Four dealers quoted me the same price (I had to convince the first three to look in their book for a two FOURTY one when they told me I was wrong). Dealer I bought from was straight list price, no negotiation, no goodies. He did swap from safety to PS chain anyhow if that counts for anything.

The only other Stihl I could ever imagine "needing" is a 461 or its successor so I'll stick to buying Huskys, Johnnys, and Dolmars from AS member dealers who appreciate my business and give good deals.

All I can tell is Stihl meant full retail price up to a couple years ago for everybody. Commercial customers paid full price but Stihl instructed dealerships to carry out a sort of "cash for clunkers" program. Officially old power equipment had to be scrapped, but usually field reps turned the other way as long as stuff wasn't resold whole, so the dealership could recover a few boxes of "free" used spare parts.
A couple years ago, with the market for high end forestry and gardening equipment clinically dead, Stihl authorized dealerships to offer discounts. Scratch that. They even authorized them to advertise said discounts: I regularly get unsolicited offers in my mail, often about their "middle level" products such as MS291/391 chainsaws.
The last Stihl I bought was an MS362C-M earlier this month. I got 20% off it plus a spare chain, which is more or less standard fare on professional-grade equipment these days, if you are a decent customer. For the record I also bought a new chipper (not Stihl) from the same dealership this year and I tend to buy from them all those "small things" such as wedges and the like.
Somehow related, I've noticed not only Echo prices are shooting up but they are offering lower discounts as well. I am a pretty decent Echo customer and the local dealership started working with my grandfather back in the 70's, so we have a long standing working relationship. I was kinda disappointed when I asked a quote for the CS620SX it came at the same as the MS362C-M but, sadly, our Yamabiko importer has cut the discounts dealerships can offer on professional-grade equipment. You'll still get super deals on homeowner grade stuff such as the SRM222 and the CS352ES however.

It is possible to get a 16% discount via larger resellers. I bought a HLA 85 from Ace Hardware for $359.95 + tax. It was a random unadvertised promo of $399 with an additional veteran discount of 10% off. The local tool only price is always $430 + 9.75% tax. I called all dealers within reasonable driving distance and some agreed to cover the tax on a cash deal. One small dealer said the Stihl margins are too thin to discount. My guess the margin is cost + 5- 7%.

I really value the boys at my dealer, if I buy 500 dollars of parts I’ll ask a discount and they’ll give me 10%, or if I inquire the cost of a new saw they’ll give me Around 15 - 20% discount but I don’t take the piss. I won’t ask for it on 2.50 dollars for a nut.

I am in the position where I’ll call up and ask a question, they tell me to come in and they’ll welcome me into the workshop area out back and take a look at my problem for free and share advice and help like I work there. They’ve looked at a bar I dressed and said I was a way out, one of the staff got a mechanic there and then to dress the bar for me and invited me out back to watch the process.
I will sometimes bring them all a drink like a large mocha frappe as a thank you. The key is value on both sides.

yesterday I had a question regarding a circuit I didn’t understand, I went in there and got the lovely welcome I always do, not in a “you buy our products so I’ll suck up to you” but more like “welcome back mate, good to see you, how can we help on your project?”

They have taken me under their wings so to speak and it’s lovely.

Respect, kindness and loyalty on both sides goes a long way to a mutually beneficial relationship. I have probably spent 5,000 Australian dollars with them in the last year, it’s not much in the grand scheme of things, but it’s enough to show that I am serious about learning and passionate about saws and rebuilds that they are willing to invest back in me.

I've got two local dealers that I buy from.
Small purchases mainly chains. My best friend was a wrench turned at one and when I needed parts for an Echo he said to go see his old boss about possibly gets a parts saw.
"CJ was a damn good guy. Come on out back and let's see what we have. Have a look and if you find one bring it inside". He didn't have one so I ended up ordering all the needed parts. He's an Echo and Husqvarna dealer so it fits me well.
The other shop I have only bought chains from. I figure I'm saving so much buying Oregon's from them over Huskys at Lowe's I don't need any discount.
My background is the gun business and the owner of the shop unused to work in was great to his loyal customers. First purchase would be MSRP. But the discounts got bigger the more you purchased. You can do that more on used guns.
I have a set level I offer in a pawn shop. And I adjust from that point depending on factors. I don't need anything buy so if their counter offer is not in my neighborhood I can walk away.

I really appreciate my local dealer.. of course we'll see how that goes when I stop buying new saws and stuff.

They have worked with me on several saws and I get about 15% off chains, typically, 10% off most hard parts and accessories, bars are hit and miss, depends on the margins I guess..
The only two things i've paid msrp on were a cant hook and a single jug of fuel * (if purchased 2 or more saves money)

Congratulations you found a good dealer. As for me there are three dealers not make that Four dealers in my area two of them I wouldn’t take my pruning saw I wouldn’t buy anything from them they’re terrible. All they do is sell saws no advice no help no expertise nothing. The other two are the same dealership just to different towns. Those two are just like your dealer I could go in the back in the shop I’ve made friends with Steve and Omar very knowledgeable about Stihl saws and chainsaws in general. Many times I’ve gone in there and I need a new scabbard or they’ll throw me a hat. This one salesman Kenny has been real good he’ll give me 10 to 15% off parts. I tell you brothers there’s nothing like having a good STIhl dealer they’re worth their weight in gold. Oh, by the way I want to add one more thing and this is really important the ones I was telling you about that were terrible every time I go in there for a part or ask for a part or give them a part number “Well Well we don’t have it in stock but we can order it for you”.The dealership I deal with either has always the part in stock on hand and very rarely has to the order.

My dealer sells at SRP. Used to be lower but Sthl gave him a rough time. I think most parts at at SRP but he's really good to me on labor. I have no complaints, no desire to try to price shop. As long as he's in business if it's Stihl I'll buy from him. He's a good honest man.

Absolutely no Stihl discount at any of the 5 Stihl shops within driving distance. They won't even talk to anyone about it. The one closest to me is terrible. Won't work on anything just sell new. None of the loggers or tree services will use them anymore. Very dishonest people. The other ones within driving distance of me are very professional and at least try to help. I had to buy a new MS 261 this morning to replace one. Had to drive 30 miles. Main reason is they said they're having trouble getting saws and pole saws right now.

Ah yes, the corporate evil thread, it was about time.
I work in a store, and we are a Stihl dealer. Stihl doesn't give us anything for "free". So, we really can't just give stuff away. You are correct there is a store markup. That is how we keep the lights on, and the people working. I am certain that the stihl distributer is making a percentage as well from the factory. THey have to.
It is interesting, dealers giving away extra chains, bottles of oil, fuel mix. I suppose you could do that, but I will tell you something. THey paid for the stuff from Stihl. IF they want to run their profit out as write off's against their store, that is their business.

One that comes to mind is the chainsaw case... a few times I have been asked "if I buy the saw would you throw in a free case for it" I can look it up but I know that we pay plenty for those cases. On a $300 something chainsaw sale, and they want a free $50 case. It would be wonderful, but it would put the transaction into a negative. Which would get my butt in trouble.

I am learning the system, and eventually I will understand what I can and can't get away with. One thing that bugs me is Stihl's shipping. THey seem to go out of their way to make it expensive to get stuff shipped in. Oh, yea if you place enough of a order they will ship it for free... but that sometimes isn't possible. And the customer would cry foul if I charged a ton of shipping! but when you NEED parts, you need parts.

Negotiating price is becoming a lost art.
Imagine how many people pay sticker price for cars at dealerships. I like the haggle I was taught how to do it efficiently and I've taught my kids how to do it so they're good at dealing as well but it is a lost art. I never concern myself with whether a dealership is making money on me.

Stihl Canada rotates sale of a different pro level saw once per year around this time. They usually drop the retail price of one saw each year a little over 10%. My dealer gives me that reduced price regardless of sale or time of year. They know their margins and overhead and want to stay in business so I don't push for more.

But when it comes time to haggling with a dealer over a used car or truck, pedal to the metal and no mercy . . . except if it's from someone who needs the money more than I do. Life's short and making sure the other guy can also feed his family makes for better sleep at night . :cool:

I know this thread hasn't been touched in a couple of years but I had to register just to post a response.

I own a small independent Stihl dealership and I can tell you, there is no margin to give discounts. When you sell a new Stihl unit the GROSS profit margin is 20%. The idea that people are saying they got a 15% discount on this stuff is hard to believe. Customer loyalty does not pay the bills if you have to give up three quarters of your profit to "earn" it. Stihl does not give us ANYTHING. Everything in this store represents my money.

The industry wide NET profit margin on a shop like this averages about 2% according to a sageworks industry data report that I got last year. That means if you run a perfect store with no shrinkage and do everything right, if you take in a MILLION dollars in sales in a year ( My store does about half a million in sales a year) you MAY be able to pocket $20,000. That is all that is left over for you. Any discount given to any customer will come directly out of that $20,000. Discounts come off of the bottom line, which means right out of my empty pocket.

Finally in order for me to be in a position to make that $20,000, I had to borrow HALF A MILLION dollars in debt to buy the store. I have to get up and come to work six days a week. Every penny I have in this world is tied up in inventory in the hopes that I may have the part you need when you need it. I'm walking a very thin line to even stay open and stand to lose everything I own in this life if I can't keep the money coming in.

So I guess you could say that I am one of the dealers that get upset when you ask for a discount. I work hard for very little money, as do my employees. I can't afford to pay them as much as I would like to so we all scrabble down here in the dirt to support a pretty meager existence.

Then when the customers come in everyone is generally upset that their chainsaw, weedwhacker, lawnmower etc. which they "bought from you", and "spent a lot of money on" has broken. After years of abuse and absolute neglect the machine wouldn't start and now they're going to tell you just how upset they are and act like you owe it to them to fix it right then and there, at the counter, for free.

Nobody gets any discounts at my store. No free hats, files, chains. Buying something from me does not obligate me to give you anything. Tell me you'll go somewhere else if I don't give you something for free and I'll help you on your way out the door.

Be good to your dealers. They are people too and I promise you they're not making as much money as you think.

Latest posts

Back