who`s doing the moding and porting for an 346 XP?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pfff. mighty tempting but I don`t think I can pull it off. I`d rather prefer to buy the saw ported, moded and tuned.
It scares me that after few tanks the stock 346 will need tuning. my ear can`t pick the signal as I have no blank to report my saw to. I can`t tell if a saw is well tuned or not.

Last edited:
pfff. mighty tempting but I don`t think I can pull it off. I`d rather prefer to buy the saw ported, moded and tuned.
It scares me that after few tanks the stock 346 will need tuning. my ear can`t pick the signal as I have no blank to report my saw to. I can`t tell if a saw is well tuned or not.

I'd recommend you buy a tach then. Whoever mods your saw can recommend what RPM to tune it to.

I'd recommend you buy a tach then.

+1 My saws are just stock with muffler mods and unlimited coils. I can tune by ear somewhat( im still learning too), but still like to have an idea of what its turning. My opinion, a 346 is such a screamer I find it a little harder to tune by ear than some of the other saws, but it could just be me too.

A tach is always a good idea, for checking that you aren't totally off "target", if nothing else.....

... but it is no help for setting the squish etc....

A tach is always a good idea, for checking that you aren't totally off "target", if nothing else.....

just got my self a tach, played a little with it yesterday, kind of funny to see what the thing is turning.. haven´t had the chance to test the rpm´s in the cut just yet.

There should be no problem doing a topend for you like that. Normally I won't, but in your case it makes sense. I would mock it up and degree it on a saw here. You'd have to check the squish though after installing it on your saw. And of course, tuning would be on you as well. You'll also need to mod the tank vent on your saw for it to flow enough fuel at WOT. I do this on all 346s I do any more.

What the..... I swear I was looking at the Modded Work Saw forum but then blsnelling left a post?.?.?:confusedn: I'm so confused:smile-big:

Just Kidding:)

Count, the next time you are at one of those shops, see if they have any used jugs they can give you. Something that is scrap and you can play around porting them.

You can make all your mistakes on some piece of junk instead of a new saw. You will soon learn what bits to use on which areas, how much pressure to apply, etc.

You can build up a collection of tools that work best for you and also work on your own technique.

Latest posts

Back