Who sharpens chain with rotary tool?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monstrosity

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just recently started sharpening my chains with a dremel tool and have had great results. Hand filing always took me forever and now 5-10 minutes is all it takes to get a great edge. I've just been using the dremel brand stones and wondered if anyone has experience with diamond stones.

I just recently started sharpening my chains with a dremel tool and have had great results. Hand filing always took me forever and now 5-10 minutes is all it takes to get a great edge. I've just been using the dremel brand stones and wondered if anyone has experience with diamond stones.

I tried it once but had problems with uniformity i.e.., too much on one cutter, too little on another.

The stones or diamond embedded cylinders don't take kindly to being used to take down the depth gagues. Try Stihl files on the simple guide thing that rides on top of the cutter. I tried those and yes the results were good however I doubt the tooth consistency would be too good after a while.

I just free-hand using the laser-etched line on top of the cutter (which most of my chains have) as a reference. It doesn't seem hard to keep them the same length if I just touch it up every 3 tanks of fuel or so.

Also wanted to note- rotary tool needs to be variable speed (or at least a low speed setting). I like to keep rpm's below 8000 for best results. It's much easier to control amount of material being removed.

i've been using um for years.

i still use a file in the woods though.

they save a lot of time and do a good job for me. of course a greenhorn can ruin a good chain in seconds with one-- the roto is dangerous in the wrong hands.

. . . of course a greenhorn can ruin a good chain in seconds with one-- the roto is dangerous in the wrong hands.
You can pretty much ruin a chain with any sharpening tool (file, grinder, Dremel) if you don't know what you are doing. If you understand what you are trying to accomplish, you can probably improve a chain with any of the tools, given just a little direction or practice, IMHO. After that, it is a matter of personal preference which method you use.

Philbert

You can pretty much ruin a chain with any sharpening tool (file, grinder, Dremel) if you don't know what you are doing. If you understand what you are trying to accomplish, you can probably improve a chain with any of the tools, given just a little direction or practice, IMHO. After that, it is a matter of personal preference which method you use.

Philbert

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Do you rotary guys rotate into the cutters, or out of the cutters?

Freehand or angle/depth guide?

12V or 120V?

Philbert
Out, freehand, both

I finish with a file. Chain in a vise. Use the burr to do the gullet and just touch the cutting edges. Round file to do cutting edges, flat file for rakers.

I grind outside when I can to avoid dust and sparks - my basement shop is set up more for woodworking, and I have a fear of smoldering embers.

No problem with filing inside!

Philbert

I grind in the basement right next to the gas line (about 3-4 inch thick) from the house...

I started using a file. I do ok with them. Then i tried a guide system which i found to be too much of a pain. I do touch up a rocked tooth with a diamond bit dremmel or when i am cutting for a friend and not near my grinder i use them. When i get home i hit the grinder. I can say for sure power tools like dremmels and grinders eat chains way way faster. They sure do cut better then a dull one tho.

Latest posts

Back