Who should cut your tree?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're right, this is a easy one. A pipefitter with 30 yrs exp that also goes to school for refresher classes. Anybody that thinks they know it all just because they have 30 yrs exp is a fool and a danger to himself and his coworkers. Theres a big world out there and your invited. Open your mind.

Thats why they have CEU requirements. Any arborist with any sense and experience has kept up with the latest and greatest. lot of difference between a competent up to date 30 yr veteran, and a student. (in case you don't know, the students the one dragging brush, and filling up the saws) Last student I saw showed me a big ordeal about a diploma and classes, told me how many very extensive hours of training and climbing he learned, then proceeded to put a saddle on upside down. SEE YA- don't need groundies!
-Ralph

Why would you need a refresher class to learn what you have been doing every day for 30 yrs? The only one that sounds like they know it all is you! A pipefitter in a Tree care forum. Wow what next?

Rick Helsel

begleytree said:
Thats why they have CEU requirements. Any arborist with any sense and experience has kept up with the latest and greatest. lot of difference between a competent up to date 30 yr veteran, and a student. (in case you don't know, the students the one dragging brush, and filling up the saws) Last student I saw showed me a big ordeal about a diploma and classes, told me how many very extensive hours of training and climbing he learned, then proceeded to put a saddle on upside down. SEE YA- don't need groundies!
-Ralph

Thank you.

Rick Helsel

No Rick, I don't know it all. New ways of doing things come along everyday in my line of work and I like to be on top of it. Better for me because I'm worth more to the contractor (more work for me) and the client gets what he's paying for. I've been a fitter/welder for 28 yrs, seen a lot and done a lot but theres so much more. I guess in the tree biz theres only so many ways you can hack up a tree......

I think rule 12 is beginning to be tested here. Just a refresher.

You are not permitted to harass other members at ArboristSite.com. This includes offensive remarks or remarks that attempt to provoke another member. Sarcastic baiting is also not permitted. If you disagree with someone, state why, but do not resort to name calling, threats, etc…

TreeCo said:
Look at your own post on another thread. Unless being a 'queen' is a complement to you aussies it looks like rule 12 is being bent just a little.

Treeco....his hypocrisy only goes so far!

Hahaha!

I was referring to TreeCo and Helsel's posts toward Blacksmith on this thread.

However to expand your monolithic interpretation of the word queens as used in the context of my post here is a definition.

Idiom:
queen it
To act like a queen; domineer: queens it over the whole family.

"... best leave it to you Queens"

I, similar to Blacksmith am the members' of the family at AS and you guys Queen it all over us, in the safety of your numbers of course.

There you go, and Mr Cahoon don't be so keen to follow TreeCo like sheep as you may end up with egg on your face ... too!

I suppose it would depend on the job and the situation. But then again, I cut my own trees so what do I know? :)

TreeCo said:
Pronunciation Key (kwn)
n.

Offensive Slang. Used as a disparaging term by Aussies searching for homosexual men.

Dan

Well I'll be, fancy that, however ironic I can see how that could apply.

In the south, most folks let a hurricane do their tree trimming/cutting.
Out west, it's a fire that limbs and thins.
East Coasters prefer floods to thin and remove.
Mid-Westers use combines to cut their old growth corn each season.
I'd want an outfit that had been there awhile with an experienced guy to do the cutting and a student watching the important stuff. Falling is just high school physics, but it is still a complex set of variables. Experience there is everything.
That college education on what species work best in any given scenario etc is also everything.
You want both, like Murphy says.

Now boys, please behave yourselves. Mr. Ekka, your aussie slang does have its charm, but it spoils communication. 'queen" means "sodomite" here in the usa.

The person who has provided the best outlook and input here at AS lately is from Estonia. let's use simple , clear language so no one is excluded. I like hearing opinions about trees from foreigners and pipefitters and everyone else.

Mr. Helsel, if your company sells nothing but tree removal for tree owners who have made up their minds, you are welcome to go down your anti-education road. If you are providing opinions based on experience but no training, you may be committing malpractice, which is prosecutable. If a recent graduate with no experience provides opinions, they have the same problem.

You can't walk on one leg.

smokechase II said:
In the south, most folks let a hurricane do their tree trimming/cutting.
Out west, it's a fire that limbs and thins.
East Coasters prefer floods to thin and remove.
Mid-Westers use combines to cut their old growth corn each season.
I'd want an outfit that had been there awhile with an experienced guy to do the cutting and a student watching the important stuff. Falling is just high school physics, but it is still a complex set of variables. Experience there is everything.

Hmm, (Falling is just high school physics) So maybe a fire fighter could cut this tree. But only if you got your high school physics.

treeseer said:
Mr. Helsel, if your company sells nothing but tree removal for tree owners who have made up their minds, you are welcome to go down your anti-education road. If you are providing opinions based on experience but no training,

treeseer,My company offers a full line of tree serv.The company also has two cert. climbers.

My point here was to find out what kind of good info I could get. If I was a home owner looking to get a tree trimmed or removed. There has been alot of good post.

Thanx
Rick Helsel

Assuming both have liability insurance, look into the work history or at least promises of each. Does the established one do lot's of topping? Even though your procedure is a removal, you are still promoting substandard work by using him. If the newer guy does ANSI standard pruning, he should get the job if he wants it, just to get a foothold in the neighborhood. Too often I've been undercut on a removal, then watched the area trees get massacred later by unaware clients.

Latest posts

Back