who's cut themselves with a chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup, was up a big oak clearing some limbs around power lines, a good sized branch above me (nothing I had cut) fell down and hit the saw and pushed it down and to my shin. Only my lightening quick reflexes or sheer luck stopped it from being worse than a few small cuts.

Just got the top of my knuckle the other day. I was one handing (which I really rarely do!) branch came down and pushed the bar onto my other hand. I wear Mechanix brand gloves. It went through them (of course) got my knuckle. Just a nick. It filled up my glove with blood though. They were worn out anyway. Time for a new pair!

I came close when I got my bar to close to my inner thigh limbing up a downed tree. It nicked the edge of my chaps but no clothing or skin. Another inch or two and I would qualify for level 2 or 4.

But I have only been a weekend warrior for 2 years. Give me time to reach the other levels ;).

Last edited:
Chainsaw cuts

Cut the small finger on left hand working Bucking up a downed Cottonwood around 5:30 PM Husky 66 skipped off a small limb and ran up that hole finger Tip to hand most of the way around it. Felt like someone had hit me with a stick on back of that hand. Years later I cut one handed ( just a few small limbs That D@#%# Husky bounced up and came down on the Index finger of the left hand that middle knuckle right into the bone. I thought they would have to finish cutting it off . Some how they got it back on It don't straighten out the way it should but it is there and for the most part works
Hold on with Both Hands, Don't get to tried & Don't cut One Handed

Last edited:
I cut my leg right above my knee. I was up in a tree doing a take-down when the limb I was cutting knocked my saw into my leg. The wound was about two inches long and about 3/4 inch deep. One of my groundmen cut his forearm with an 020T and another groundman cut his leg pretty badly with an 044. This is why my crew always wear full PPE now.

For some reason I stuck my thumb in between the teeth of a gas hedge pruner obviously without the proper gaurds intact, fortunatly with only a good chunk of the top of my thumb removed, grew back like a lizard tail so it couldn't have been too bad. But if I press on it you can almost see how much was lost until it springs back.

Been lucky...

So far I have never cut myself or anyone with a saw. Even though I try to stay very aware of the possible end results , I know that no one (Especially me) can see it coming 100% of the time. I seriously pray every time I climb into a tree or cut one up on the ground.

treespec

Cut myself 3 x's. Once on left knee cap-no stitches, 2x's on left arm-both from kick back. All from stupidity.

Cut above my left knee while bucking a storm dropped tree on my property. Wasn't wearing chaps. Chain caught a small sappling and was pulled into my leg while I was positioning to make the next cut. Probably could have used a couple of stiches, but I finished cutting then went to the house and wrapped it up instead. Healed up OK.

Beaver

Cutted my self reeel goood

I cut myself while doing a plunge cut on a stump before grinding > I was on one knee and the saw kicked back went right above my knee and wasnt wearing chaps. I needed about 50 stitches some deep I was lucky I didnt hit my knee cap or any ligaments . Now I am veryy attentive if Im gonna make a plunger

Last edited:
Not chainsaw, gas hedge trimmers

It was a small long hedge about the same height as the bucket truck headache rack. So I decided to stand on the truck platform, right by the turret below the headache rack. I was leaning out to get the backside, two hands on the handle...I think I actually wrapped my legs around the ladder to get up top so I could reach further. Anyway, where I went wrong was when I was swinging the trimmer back with my right hand, I needed my left to help stop it from hitting the truck. My left pinky somehow slipped the guard and got bit. Diagonal cut halfway through my nail. There must have been a sliver of skin holding the tip on in the middle. Went to the clinic, got some super glue and asprin and was back on site in a couple hours.
-Jordan

Never been bit by a running saw, but they can still git ya when you think they're sleeping......... sharpening w/o gloves, swinging climbing saw on tether, reaching in the dark and catchin' chain.. yup. Been there, bought the T-shirt.

I've had several close calls over the years, particularly in the first couple working professionally. Cut into chaps a few times in thigh area, once or twice in side of calf area. A few nicks in the tip of the sole of my right boot. Most of this stuff seems to happen at the end of the day or when fatiqued or working like a madman to get something done..... I've had the usual handsaw, polesaw bites, including breaking my right big toe while using 6 sections of Jamesons(that hurt like he!!).

Had several friends/co-workers hurt over the years. One of the worst was a friend that received a viscous laceration from lower neck to below the sternum from a kick back. They were felling trees on family property when one tree hung up. He hung the saw up in a topside cut(tree at 45*) and attempted to free it by doing a slashing cut with a second saw. Must've caught the tip, kicked back into his chest.

Last edited:
I got a nice one on the top of my corks, and one on chaps ( a stupid move but not serious). Wear chaps!!! They will not prevent all damage, but stop a lot of it.

Yeh no never been cut with a saw,but today I did ram my knuckle into a freshly sharpened tooth while sharpening a saw. Not sure if I should get stitches ,I mean I can't see (that)much bone ,,lol.:chainsaw:
Yes I was wearing gloves and it bit right thru em,,arghghh

20 years of running saws, several years logging professionally, otherwise just for my own wood.

No blood beyond a cut finger or two while filing chain.

A few nick to some boots, otherwise I've been lucky. Chaps have so far remained intact. I have had some injuries from slips and falls off logs while limbing but nothing requiring a doctor.

4 "Testing" out a new saw cutting like a fool .
Younger and inevitably stupid. Leg was in line with bar and came straight down.
Lesson learned.

Ground gave way on a steep bank, I had an MS200 in hand but not running. we both tumbled down and the saw ran over my arm. I got a tooth bite in and run along the inside of my elbow (where you normally get tapped for blood). Leaving a 5 stich cut.

In 6 years doing professional climbing and groundwork, never so much as a near miss, but have around 15 decent scars from a silky. I can use chainsaws all day every day but as soon as that little silky saw comes out of its sheath it just wants some of my flesh haha:chainsaw:

Back