Why are you passionate about chainsaws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

livemusic

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Somewhat new to using a chainsaw beyond el cheapo Poulans, and needing advice to start my (used) Stihl ms290, I found this forum. I have enjoyed reading here. I am also a webmaster and have built several forums over the years, and presently am an active member of many forums across a broad variety of interests. Forums are my favorite part of the internet.

I have noticed that the people on here seem a cut above many forums. On a lot of forums, there is a ton of nonsense. And though there is some bickering now and then on here, it's not overwhelming.

I have also noticed that members are passionate about chainsaws or firewood or arbor work or whatever. Passion is a good thing in anything you do. Passionate people are helpful!

Lastly, I admit that I have become pretty interested in getting my saw running right and scrounging firewood, even though we don't burn that much wood around here. I wonder this is? It might have to do with the fact that for many years now, I haven't been outdoors as in the past, when it seemed I stayed outdoors, doing this and that. Getting back into it, it's nice to be outside, lol. I do way too much computer work.

I have also come to learn that there is a LOT to running a saw and a LOT to cutting firewood. Safely.

Why do you think saw people are so passionate? Is it the challenge of tweaking saws or getting wood cheaper or just what? Curious!

This forum's landscape has changed a bunch over the last 14 or so years, started out as a sleepy little forum for "arborists". Members were scolded for even typing the word "beer"...
Then Lambert led in a horde of hellraisers, and this place started rockin!

Some of the 'higher strung' members here are passionate about saws.......or at least passionate about bickering about them.

For a lot of us, like myself, saws are tools of our trades. Mine being arboriculture.

I have over a dozen running saws, do most of the work on them, square file and grind, spin chain, etc., but I wouldn't call myself passionate about my saws.

They are tools to get a job done.

Don't try to steal one though. I'd get passionate real quick.

Some of the 'higher strung' members here are passionate about saws.......or at least passionate about bickering about them.

For a lot of us, like myself, saws are tools of our trades. Mine being arboriculture.

I have over a dozen running saws, do most of the work on them, square file and grind, spin chain, etc., but I wouldn't call myself passionate about my saws.

They are tools to get a job done.

Don't try to steal one though. I'd get passionate real quick.

I love your Feynman quote. Being the skeptic that I am, that is awesome.

For me it's not the saw its the memories of a time when we had to use them. Growing up we had very little and still got most of that. To heat our home we had to cut firewood and so did several others in my family so firewood cutting became a time to brag on your saw or put a little bet on it lol. After the day was done we would all gather for a good meal and talk about who's saw won or who's truck had the biggest load sometimes who busted the most with the mall. Now times have changed seems you have to jump in front or a friend or relative and grab them just to get them to speak! To me I love to hear an old reed valve saw tearing through a ash,red oak on a cool fall morning it kinda takes me back to a time long forgotten by many!!!

Where to begin
If you have a hobby then your Probably passionate about it. They are tools, some make a living using them, some make a living building them.
I burn wood as my primary heat source as a lot of us do here. Tools are expensive and have to be maintained to last. If I find a pro model saw such as a 262xp, or a 044 that needs a few parts for cheap I can rebuild them and have a saw that would cost 600-700 dollars new. Once you resurrect a saw that some would think as trash, it gives you a great feeling. If you continue to work with different saws you start to understand the engineering and learn more as to what makes it tick. Continuing to return to this site and others like it can only be described as "Passionate". I remember thinking one doesn't need more than 1 or 2 saws.

Here's a few I'm passionate about
20150329_200517.jpg 20150329_200536.jpg 20150329_200600.jpg

Where to begin
If you have a hobby then your Probably passionate about it. They are tools, some make a living using them, some make a living building them.
I burn wood as my primary heat source as a lot of us do here. Tools are expensive and have to be maintained to last. If I find a pro model saw such as a 262xp, or a 044 that needs a few parts for cheap I can rebuild them and have a saw that would cost 600-700 dollars new. Once you resurrect a saw that some would think as trash, it gives you a great feeling. If you continue to work with different saws you start to understand the engineering and learn more as to what makes it tick. Continuing to return to this site and others like it can only be described as "Passionate". I remember thinking one doesn't need more than 1 or 2 saws.

Here's a few I'm passionate about
View attachment 474278 View attachment 474279 View attachment 474280
If your passion for the 090 ever leaves you send it to me I'll pick up where you left off!!! Sweet group of saws!!

Not passionate at all for them, they are a tool to me. When I was taught the correct way to run one and has to rely on them for a living things changed. That was when I was 17. Whatever saw got production the quickest and left me the least tired at the end of the day was what we purchased. Usually 1-2 saws a year. [except when someone else ran them over!] Made a very good living 2 separate times over the last 30 years with them. Now I just cut firewood and remove problem trees for people. But I have never forgot how a quality tool makes the job easier. CJ

I dont rely on chainsaws for my living, though i do make a little money throughout the year on cleanup and straightforwar removals for people. Im in the group of people who enjoy quality tools, enjoy fixing my own equipment and tinkering. I like chainsaws because its all right there in front of you. Plus they sound neat.

Heat a large shop and two houses with wood, do a little logging and timber improvement, so 'good' saws are important. Not so much a passion.

I grew up on a farm and cut wood from a early age. My dad didn't have the greatest ope and so when I got older I followed suite with homeowner grade Stihl saws. 029/super and a 025. There was a perfect storm 4 years ago. I got a outside wood burner (and started going thru way more wood) and my 025 finally died, so I began to research a replacement saw. I ended up on this site and its all been downhill since. I was up to 8 saws at one point, but am down the my favorite 4. The saws I now have greatly increased my production of firewood. I enjoy cutting with ported saws and can keep my chains sharp on my own. Life is good.

Because I cannot ride my snowmobiles in the summer, and they sure do not help cut up firewood.

Besides, I am always interested in things that go tick-tock.

Lastly, I dont like depending on someone else to manage my woods.

For me, they fall into the ideal man hobby category.

Loud.
Dangerous.
Expensive.
The wife wants nothing to do with them.

All kidding aside, I'm passionate about keeping the house warm, paying my bills, supporting my family, and keeping my clients happy. Chainsaws and my other tools allow me to do that.

Chainsaw itself; dangerous, powerful, mechanics, lots of variables which make error searching fun.
Felling a tree; finally get to use your repaired chainsaw!

They call my name.
Ever since I fixed my first saw I realized it's a natural thing for me. When my friends discovered how well I could work on one they started bringing me all theirs to fix. Now I do it for a living and I enjoy it.

Latest posts

Back