Why can't I sharpen my chain!?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Electric Granberg rotary grinder, or Granberg file guide that clamps on the bar?
Granberg file guide. But now I understand that I could sharpen the cutter perfectly and if the rake is in the way it won't matter.

Thanks for the offer to sharpen the chain. I might take you up on it, but I'll try sharpening it myself first so that I can learn.

@DPDISXR4Ti, this cutter speaks volumes. Your chain is not sharp. You need to keep filing until the damage is removed from the cutter. The edge of the cutting tooth that looks like it's been sand blasted needs to be filed off. I drew a green line where I think you should file to.

Also, what size file are you using? This is 3/8 pitch chain right?

Yes, 3/8". Thanks for the guidance. I'll setup the Grandberg with a new file and go to town, and only then I'll drop the rakers down with a gauge. I'll report back in a week or so with results.

BTW, used to run to Mexico from SUCO for my long runs back in the early 80's. Invariably I'd have James Taylor's "Mexico" song playing in my head.

Yes, 3/8". Thanks for the guidance. I'll setup the Grandberg with a new file and go to town, and only then I'll drop the rakers down with a gauge. I'll report back in a week or so with results.

BTW, used to run to Mexico from SUCO for my long runs back in the early 80's. Invariably I'd have James Taylor's "Mexico" song playing in my head.
Oh nice, I didn't realize you were from NY.

That might explain why it quit cutting after being sharpened (somewhat). Some chains cut a narrower swath as the cutter is shortened. The cutter may be just to the point that the bar is binding in the cut if using an NK chain on a standard bar.

It looks like you are filing too low and not creating a clean top plate angle or edge. You need to remove the folded over metal between the two red lines. That should just be a sharp edge there.
5AD16673-58BA-484D-99AF-D4375B9D411E.jpeg

Lowes $5
a75ef738e4de5d4fd126c12f6bd9720b.jpg

I went from hand filing to my big time electric from Harbor freight LOL but all kidding aside it did work well especially for $25. (I still have it) but now I bought a Northern branded Oregon that lazer sharpens them to the point I cut my fingers on the tooth. Chain sharpening seams scary especially when we throw in the raker(depth gauge) filing in, but you'll get to a point where you, as we all did, look back and laugh at your lack of knowledge.

Right. That should be .325 narrow kerf chain: Looks like Carlton / WoodlandPro.
Oregon, Husqvarna, Archer, TriLink, etc. all have versions of this.
Hmmm, I was going by an old post to figure out what I had since I couldn't right away find the box. Maybe I changed my mind. Need to research more.

I use 3/16 for .325 nk chain.

You need to identify the chain. Measure two consecutive chain links and divide by two to determine if it's .325 or 3/8. Measure the thickness of the bar to determine whether it's nk or not. If not a nk bar, you need a regular chain and will need the groove width. You can run standard .325 chain on a .325 nk bar but not the other way round.

Make sure some of the file is above the top of the cutter, if you don't the cutting edge wont get sharp.

Back