Why can't Remington get any respect??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
some of the old ones are quite stylish. spark plug removal was a PITA. Had to cut up a T-wrench just to get into it.

might have something to do with them being so associated with electric/pole saws instead of big pro ones...

remember that model that was army issue? i'd be into seeing that.... was it olive?

Sawbones has one, a 745 if I remember right. He posted a pic or two on a therad I started. "Combat Engineers and Chainsaws"

I picked up this Remington today from a fellow that I got some rusty Studebaker parts from. Unfortunately, the crankshaft is broken.

SuperXL925003.jpg

SuperXL925004.jpg

SuperXL925006.jpg

This is the only other one that I have and it is locked up.

Mac10-10S017.jpg

Remington Saws

Here is a Remington In "Deere " Green and Yellow. Yes they are slow and loud, but when You get a certain age I think You have right to do so :msp_flapper:

Remingtons were made in Park Forrest Ill. I was at the factory a couple of times. It is true they were a little slower,about the fastest you could get them to run was 7500 to 8000 rpm's. This was because of design. They had a 2 piece rod and a 1 piece crank,so speed was limited.
They still made good torque and cut through wood very well. They were a good American made saw,that boasted a 2 year warranty.A warranty that they backed better then most. They were very popular in some areas,in my area of Western Pa they were very well known,at least as good if not better then the Homey's. Another great thing about them was cost,I sold lots of SL-11s(PL-5s)for $175.00 in the early 80's and that was a 65cc saw.

The last saw they made was a poorly designed newer model of the Mighty Mite called the Mighty Mite II. It was basically a throw away design. It targeted home owners who wanted a saw for spring clean up,it had rubber blocks that lowered vibration,yet the rubber broke all the time and the first and only Remington with a chain brake,that I know of.They also used a lot of plastic,that made them cheap.

Remington made only saws,Homelite made all kinds of power equipment. Remington also did not have all the safety features built in that the government was starting to man date. Several factors came to play that caused them to go out of business in the early 80's.

Remington actually had a long history. Every one knows about their guns and at one time Dupont owned them. They got into chain saws when they bought out Mall and for years was known as Remington Mall.

I still have a couple I run once in awhile. I had a Remington PL-55 that I absolutely loved. I have no idea what happened to it. It got lost some where along the way or stolen. That saw was over 80cc's and was the fastest Remington I ever had. For its day to me it was a great saw.

Here is a Remington In "Deere " Green and Yellow. Yes they are slow and loud, but when You get a certain age I think You have right to do so :msp_flapper:

173655d1298552962-img_5689-jpg

Looks just like mine, only a little nicer paint. I do like to cut some firewood with it sometimes. Even though it's slow it can still get the job done.

I love the styling of the Bantam series, few chainsaws have much in the way of elegance. A Super 754 would make a great heritage chainsaw in your collection. The supposed flaws of weight, noise, vibes and lack of chain speed don't really apply, we run vintage chainsaws for fun and to use as a guage to show how far the modern saws have come.
11-04-06007.jpg

11-04-06006.jpg

11-04-06005.jpg

Nice

I've seen a JD version of the Mighty Mite also. And I saw a near mint Montgomery Wards vesion on the floor of my saw shop this fall. I would have loved to get that one. Just like the Craftsman versions of the Poulans, those Wards saws seem to have been more of a homeowner saw and can be found in pretty good shape.

As Wampum pointed out. Remington must have had a pretty good sales rep in Western Pa. because you see them pretty often at auctions and yard sales around here.

Funny thing, those signs usually sell for more money than the saws do on E-Bay. Remington gets respect from me. Love the sound of them. I have a PL 4 with the stack muffler.

Back