Why can't Remington get any respect??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Remington PL6 Questions

Anyone who does not respect remington has not run a PL6 or a super 880. The 880 was actually supercharged and the 94cc pl6 has enough torque to pull 4 discs across red clay.

I have a Remington PL6 in really good shape that was my father-in-laws dad's saw. I got it running a few weeks ago. Put a kit in the Tillotson carb, new fuel line and off she went. I am having problems though. The motor is very strong with great compression but it misses erratically after running it just a minute or so. I wonder if my points aren't adjusted correctly? Where are they located? Is there some sort of service manual anywhere on the web you know of to help me? I also don't see it oiling at all. Need to work on that as well. Thanks for any advice or help of any kind.

I have a Super 660 and a Super 754 and they are both just super-cool examples of The Way They Used To Make Things. Sure, they're cantankerous and loud, but they've been that way for HOW many years? Can't really see that same design philosophy in much of anything these days. Much respect for Remington!

Long live Remingtons!!!!!

Just ran through the threads; and all I can say, is anyone who hasn't plowed into a stubborn old white oak with a Super 754, is missing one of the great joys of life. Mine never complains, never gives up, and starts with ease. Lots of power and even more noise. No, it ain't like my Husky nor my Stihl, but it IS my go to saw. I can lug it around all day, and never complain about the weight. It was the first chainsaw I ever used when I was 14. I loved it then and I love it even more 42 years later. Maybe we need to create a Remington club.??? Anyone else out there interested? Just wondering.....

I have a Remington PL6 in really good shape that was my father-in-laws dad's saw. I got it running a few weeks ago. Put a kit in the Tillotson carb, new fuel line and off she went. I am having problems though. The motor is very strong with great compression but it misses erratically after running it just a minute or so. I wonder if my points aren't adjusted correctly? Where are they located? Is there some sort of service manual anywhere on the web you know of to help me? I also don't see it oiling at all. Need to work on that as well. Thanks for any advice or help of any kind.

Model Profile: PL-6
Mike Acres' website.

If it is like my 75A, the points are under the flywheel. Clean 'em with a points file and set to .015". Sandpaper will leave grit and promote rapid burning of contact surface. Drag a strip of clean paper thru the closed points to finish cleaning.
Has a maual oiler only. Push the button!

Check Chainsawr.com for a IPL.
Good luck
Carl.

Last edited:
Official remington thread

I second the motion! Crane did a good job getting it started...who will belly up to the buzzsaw and help us keep it going? Come on you Remington gearheads: IT'S TIME TO BE HEARD! Dust off those LOGGERS/BANTAMS/SL'S/or any other you enjoy and let's talk!

I just do not think the title sounds right. I will start a thread and make it a sticky. If you do not like that and still want this thread a sticky I will remove the one I start and put that one up,

Never even seen one

Followed the threads here for a while.....see the true enthusisits, The Stihl Heads, J-Reds, Pioneers, Husky Fanatics and don't forget the"Homies!":) But few here mention Remington???? Aside from the 754, I've not come across to many who even own them here.
Now this is just my opinion, but I think they have (had),a good line-up in their PL series. Good compact saws that were well balanced for their time, good power to weight ratio. Have lots of jam(at least the ones I've owned). So why do they get no respect??? They have quite a lot in common with the Homelite XL series, enough that lots of parts are interchangeable, but post a Remington question and it falls down the page quicker than a Led Zepplin. Post a Homie question and it gets more hits than a plastic duck at the fair??? Any reason why Remington is unpopular?? Just curious:confused:

:popcorn:

I have yet to see a Remington gas chainsaw, anyplace. I own a cheapo electric Remington, that's it. Now for oddballs I have owned and run a Cox, and also a Green machine. the rest..basically you see huskys, stihls and poulans and homies and mccullochs, everywhere, anything else falls into the oddball, weird dealer support, some areas never ever had them for sale, etc. I've run a Dolmar before, a rental saw, but never seen one for sale. I own two Echos now, but no local (sales but no tech support) dealer support, I am my own support there, that and online shopping and guidance.

Just depends where you are and what has been sold locally in big numbers. Was Remington ever any sort of major player on the national scene?

Well.....I'm sure you know what you're doin'. Me, I'm just a novice....but I'd really like to get some conversation swirling around these old Remingtons. I believe there is a lot of knowledge that could be shared out there, if we could just get folks to engage. So have at it if we can improve the rhetoric.

I have yet to see a Remington gas chainsaw, anyplace. I own a cheapo electric Remington, that's it. Now for oddballs I have owned and run a Cox, and also a Green machine. the rest..basically you see huskys, stihls and poulans and homies and mccullochs, everywhere, anything else falls into the oddball, weird dealer support, some areas never ever had them for sale, etc. I've run a Dolmar before, a rental saw, but never seen one for sale. I own two Echos now, but no local (sales but no tech support) dealer support, I am my own support there, that and online shopping and guidance.

Just depends where you are and what has been sold locally in big numbers. Was Remington ever any sort of major player on the national scene?
Well they were major enough to be spec'd out for the US Military. You can still find some of the old green 754's used during the Viet Nam era. Sold through a lot of catalog outlets. I've found them just about everywhere, just haven't been able to buy all of them.....yet.....

Well they were major enough to be spec'd out for the US Military. You can still find some of the old green 754's used during the Viet Nam era. Sold through a lot of catalog outlets. I've found them just about everywhere, just haven't been able to buy all of them.....yet.....

I would dearly love to have an O.D. Remington. It was the first gasoline chain saw I ever ran, Aug. '69 north of Ahn Khe building a firebase.
Carl.

I would dearly love to have an O.D. Remington. It was the first gasoline chain saw I ever ran, Aug. '69 north of Ahn Khe building a firebase.
Carl.

Watch Craigslist...I missed one a month back. It sold for 75.00. Also keep you eye on your local lsn.com network.

Many Remington saws were re-badged and sold under different brand names. Montgomery Ward is one.

I'm in. It would be way cool to just talk Remington and Mall. I love my big Bantam and would find room for a 0MG.

Dammit Randy. I passed up a cherry looking Mall 0MG a while ago. Wish I knew you wanted one. A guy answered my CL ad a while back with pics of one. I still have his number. He also had a Homelite C9 that I wanted. Hopefuly he still has both saws...

Latest posts

Back