Why do so many people love the 290/390?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh I keep my chains sharp, very sharp. You guys ever take a brand new chain out of the box and lightly touch it up with a file? Talk about a cutting fool!
I've never hit the drags out of the box but one day I may just take a little bit, I mean a little bit off and see what it does. :cheers:

That's good news, just think about the muff mod, we are here if needed.

I have noticed that on another forum many members there keep cooing over their coveted 390's like its their first born kid and wont shut up about how incredible they are. I tell them they need to try a 361 and they're all like, " I don't need a pro saw, why do I need anything like that?" or "What are you doing running a 73cc saw, are you a logger?" or even better, "You don't run safety chain?" I don't get it! Even I will admit that the 361 is pretty sweet, and I don't even like Stihls. These are the same people who go all gaga over a 455R. For the last time, the 390 is a big, clunky, underpowered turd! These people don't want to spend $600 for a real saw but don't think twice about $1,500 to buy toys for their screaming little poop factory.

And yes, I know Husky has a few turd saws, like the 570, but how many people go around pushing their 570 in a stroller and bragging about how awesome it is.

The answer should be obvious. Note the zero and the nine in the model number. It (the 039/390) contains genetic material directly traceable to its legendary forebear, that marvel of 20th century Teutonic technology, the inimitable 009! In the same way as a young man, craving guidance, mentoring, and a sense of belonging, seeks out the company of his father and uncles, the saw enthusiast somehow senses the impeccable pedigree of the 039/390 and covets to be near it, without knowing quite why. Glad to be able to clear up that little misunderstanding...:clap:

ms310

Hm...i own a ms310 STOCK pulling a 24" bar... works very well for me i run it roughly 20 hours a week sometimes more. havent had any issues makes me a lot of money selling firewood. its a hard saw to kill and believe me it will cut just fine with a sharp chain. i know a 361 or a 460 will cut better cause iv used them but for firewood i cant complain about the 310. hope that helps.

I always thought that Stihl had WAY too many saws, but now that I finally understand that I deal in retail, I understand. You have to be behind my counter, to understand! I have home owners that I steer toward the 290, that tell me they don't really care what the dayum thing costs, and they walk out with a 361. I have tree services that buy 310s even though the cost of their saw are the least expense of their year. They spend bundles on comp and chippers and trucks to pull those chippers and bucket trucks and cranes and etc etc etc,,,,, but they cry like a baby when it comes to the the thing that starts the whole operation for them.

I see it this way. The 290 is the HP per dollar saw that you are buying from a servicing dealer. Compare it to the box stores biggest saw, and it wins hands down!! The 310 is for the guy that was at the box store and wants me to give him a saw with a 3/8" chain and a 20" bar. Now, I give him even more power, from a servicing dealer, at a fair price and I point out that the 290 was more power than what he was looking at. The 390 is for the guy that can't shop beyond his wallet, and pony up for the 361. I'm not knocking the 390, but if folks would shop for "value" rather than "price", there would be a lot more 361s sold compared to 390s!

Not to sound rude, but the 290s, 310s, and 390s are popular because most people are cheap!

Keep in mind that I am not saying that they are bad saws at all, but I know that some day I will be able to hand my 260, 044s, and 660 down to my sons...............As long as we still have gas!

yeah you are probably right but regardless stihl makes qaulity saws and the 310 will handle an impressive amount of work. i run it like a pro saw and the next saw i buy will be a 361 but i will always have a 310 even though i know how it preforms in comparison to the 361. the weight dont bother me its like working out i can run it for 6 hours with minimal breaks before i start to tire.

I have noticed that on another forum many members there keep cooing over their coveted 390's like its their first born kid and wont shut up about how incredible they are. I tell them they need to try a 361 and they're all like, " I don't need a pro saw, why do I need anything like that?" or "What are you doing running a 73cc saw, are you a logger?" or even better, "You don't run safety chain?" I don't get it! Even I will admit that the 361 is pretty sweet, and I don't even like Stihls. These are the same people who go all gaga over a 455R. For the last time, the 390 is a big, clunky, underpowered turd! These people don't want to spend $600 for a real saw but don't think twice about $1,500 to buy toys for their screaming little poop factory.

And yes, I know Husky has a few turd saws, like the 570, but how many people go around pushing their 570 in a stroller and bragging about how awesome it is.

AOD, I think you'll find that for the most part people like these saws, because they are made by a reputable company, they have a good reputation in the homeowner community and they are pushed heavy by many of the dealers.

For a guy who uses a saw everyday your right that a 361 is a better choice, but for the average guy who cuts a little wood here and there and most likely replaced a Home Depot poulan or Homelite with it, its a step up.

I would never disagree that the 361 is better, the 390 seems to have a great cult following as well.

The 290/310 look even better when you put their price tags right next to the 455/460 from Husky. And that is even before you consider the Husky and the piece of crap outboard clutch.

BTW, I really like my 310 and my budget was $400 when I bought it. The most HP for the $400 on the market.

Find a cheap 290 with a smoked top end and install the 390 p&c, you will be doing some :chainsaw: then.

Finding one is the problem... (Unless you're willing to PAY for it.)

I picked up a 029 super (46mm same as ms290) and was looking for a 390 top end.. They're JUST NOT OUT THERE!

I'm sure I could buy used, but I have to draw a line on price somewhere.

My brother runs a logging business in southern Indiana and when he first got into the business 10 years or so ago he bought a brand new Stihl 029. His buddy made fun of him for buying a homeowner saw and and it would never last out in the woods. He doesn't get to excited about if something is pro/occasional use or otherwise, just a long as it works and gives good service over the life of the tool. He has since bought several 044/046, an 066, and a couple 361's, uses pretty much all of them without preference and you know what, the 029 is still running, even after a nasty run in with the JD skidder. He uses it alot for tops and firewood, feeding his CB 6048 and such. Although he owns about half a dozen pro saws at any time he will not trade or sell the lowly 029, too good a saw for what it is. The best thing is it only cost about $300, owes him absolutey nothing. Great saws, if you are into white and orange I suppose.

Scott

the 290 isnt the fastest saw on the market or the lightest it isnt the
best at limbing or felling a huge tree ,but it can do about everything and anything asked by the average guy cutting firewood to heat his home or clearing his farm and more for only 360 bucks ...or you could take that $360 go to a big box store and buy a shiney new poulon with bright orange plastic called husqvarna and have the kid with all the peircings in the orange apron who supervises the dishwasher dept tell you all the important features/options all the warranty info,how tune it and let you know how to care for it.there is a reason why the farmboss is the number one saw sold in america,dollar for dollar it cant be beat and the closest competition isnt up to snuff in quality service and reliability.It isnt just buying a name ,its a well thought out design,easy to work with in a variety of situations and the overall quality is topnotch.My next choice if i was going to get a similar size saw would be a dolmar5100

Last edited:
Good Job AOD

That was an excellent job of getting just about everyone who ever used a 290/310/390 to sing their praises. What shall we talk about now? Studebakers or Henry Js. They too old for you? How about Cameros and Mustangs?

How fitting that a Stihl nutcase is using old technology/information and incorrectly slagging on a superior product. Why don't you go rev tune your MS260 and tell us how high tech and awesome it is to compared to more modern saws.

Scott

getting just about everyone who ever used a 290/310/390 to sing their praises.

I've got a scored-up MS290 sitting around on my workbench... I'm sure I'm not the only one. I don't see where they get their reputation for stellar durability/reliability...

I've got a scored-up MS290 sitting around on my workbench... I'm sure I'm not the only one. I don't see where they get their reputation for stellar durability/reliability...

brages,

We've heard your side of the story. I'd now like to hear the 290's side of things.

Joat

Latest posts

Back