Why do west coast loggers fell timber the way the do?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would love to be able to use a grapple skidder around here, but this is cable machine country. A grapple would be good on about 20-25% of the stuff we cut. I want one but I don't think the times they would come in handy would offset the cost. I would also like to go out west and at least spend some time on a yarder job or two.

And logging is dangerous anywhere lol....... prices go down I get malnourished, it's like a roller coaster you can tell how the market is doing in relation to the size brithces I happen to be wearing.

Tom

Last edited:
I hear that. I'll be taking it slow for the next 12 weeks or so, Thursday I caught a 12" white pine with lotttttts of tension on it across my left knee. Just got out of an mri, torn acl fractured bone at the knee and busted cartilage. GREAT ! I guess iI should feel lucky thats all it did, Could of been alot worst. It sent me about 12'.

You would truely be amazed by this outfit from Longview that logs on Longview Fibre(or fiber can't recall). 3 guys put out 1500 loads in about 2 mo on some steep ground with a rubber tired or sometimes a D5 highboy with a grapple & feller buncher on tracks.

You Rocky Mtn boys never pull fiber cause its hard not to cut all the way thru the stems before you let off the trigger.:hmm3grin2orange:

We get it all here. Steep to the point you don't even want to hike down it. To the this used to be a farm field we planted cottonwood in. There are all types of outfits that have there niche.
I personally have a harder time falling trees on flat ground and flat ground here usually means mountains of blackberrys to crawl through.

We get it all here. Steep to the point you don't even want to hike down it. To the this used to be a farm field we planted cottonwood in. There are all types of outfits that have there niche.
I personally have a harder time falling trees on flat ground and flat ground here usually means mountains of blackberrys to crawl through.

And head high nettles. :mad:

I use to get poison oak bad. Since my ground has a considerable amount of it I have a half assed immunity to it now.

Depends on which hand i'm scratching my ass with that day.

Yup that there's your half assed immunity. Wait, I guess it's my half assed immunity.

You, sir... will have to get your own immunity.

Thank, you. Thank you very much.

I'll have you know that no rain has fallen since July & that was only because I had hay down.

Now, we are not discussing Nov thru Apr where one never worries about sunburn.

Yup.

the higher stumps go with the longer bars ...............,cutting above the flare on stump makes the logs stack better on the truck like was said earlier also

I prefer to cut humbolt myself, but Idon't use it because you end up with a square butt. Leaving the required step in your backcut pretty much elminated that bonus. Plus when I was bucking landing it was pretty rare that a tree would come up and I could just hit the snipe and have a square butt. Most of the time the cutter had some bias in their backcut.

You would truely be amazed by this outfit from Longview that logs on Longview Fibre(or fiber can't recall). 3 guys put out 1500 loads in about 2 mo on some steep ground with a rubber tired or sometimes a D5 highboy with a grapple & feller buncher on tracks.

You Rocky Mtn boys never pull fiber cause its hard not to cut all the way thru the stems before you let off the trigger.:hmm3grin2orange:

Which outfit was it? Got my curiosity up lol

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

No name on the side of the truck. I think they just logged on Longview ground. Used JLM out of Stevenson to haul logs.

Latest posts

Back