Why I Burn Firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I received a note today from a member of another site who said, "Please explain why you burn as much firewood as you do? Are you a crazy arson?"

So, I thought best to make a list. Here's what I came up with:

1) I have access to a "free" supply of felled tree chunks less than three miles away.

2) I need the exercise. (cut, split, load, unload, stack, and burn)

3) My cast iron stove is very efficient--nearly 80%.

4) I save $500 to $600 annually on my heating bill.

5) The whole house is warmer because the stove warms the floor too.

6) I can cook a juicy steak in the winter using a grill that I made for the stove.

7) Radiant heat is a pleasant change from forced air.

8) Occasionally viewing the fire is soothing and romantic.

9) A walkout basement makes it easier to bring in the wood.

10) The stacked wood supplies shelter from the snow.

11) I am using a fuel that is being thrown into useless bonfires at construction sites.

12) Operating and maintaining four chainsaws is an interesting hobby.

13) I enjoy helping my neighbors prune their trees and clear out ones that have died.

14) My workshop scraps make good kindling.

15) Ashes from the stove make ice on the driveway and sidewalks less slippery.

16) During a power failure, the woodstove still works.

17) I own a pickup truck, begging to be filled with firewood.

18) My dog often falls asleep close to the stove, totally relaxed, and so do I.

19) Sometimes I fry breakfast on the cooktop using a cast iron skillet.

20) I split the wood with a friend, and it's work that we turn into fun.

21) The gas furnace doesn't run as much and thus will last longer.

22) Wood is a replenishable fuel.

23) The energy savings (income in kind) is not taxed by Uncle Sam.

24) Once in awhile I find hardwood pieces that I can use in the workshop.

25) The sawdust from my workshop helps make good stove lighters.

So, there you have it. Did I leave anything out? Please add to the list as you see fit so that I can add more ammunition to my reply to the man who thinks that I may be a pyromaniac. TIA.

I got a kick out numbers 6 and 19. I gotta try doing breakfast on the stove tomorrow. Something simple like Canadian bacon and scrambled eggs and maybe a toasted English muffin. Ought to be fun!

I received a note today from a member of another site who said, "Please explain why you burn as much firewood as you do? Are you a crazy arson?"

So, I thought best to make a list. Here's what I came up with:

1) I have access to a "free" supply of felled tree chunks less than three miles away.

2) I need the exercise. (cut, split, load, unload, stack, and burn)

3) My cast iron stove is very efficient--nearly 80%.

4) I save $500 to $600 annually on my heating bill.

5) The whole house is warmer because the stove warms the floor too.

6) I can cook a juicy steak in the winter using a grill that I made for the stove.

7) Radiant heat is a pleasant change from forced air.

8) Occasionally viewing the fire is soothing and romantic.

9) A walkout basement makes it easier to bring in the wood.

10) The stacked wood supplies shelter from the snow.

11) I am using a fuel that is being thrown into useless bonfires at construction sites.

12) Operating and maintaining four chainsaws is an interesting hobby.

13) I enjoy helping my neighbors prune their trees and clear out ones that have died.

14) My workshop scraps make good kindling.

15) Ashes from the stove make ice on the driveway and sidewalks less slippery.

16) During a power failure, the woodstove still works.

17) I own a pickup truck, begging to be filled with firewood.

18) My dog often falls asleep close to the stove, totally relaxed, and so do I.

19) Sometimes I fry breakfast on the cooktop using a cast iron skillet.

20) I split the wood with a friend, and it's work that we turn into fun.

21) The gas furnace doesn't run as much and thus will last longer.

22) Wood is a replenishable fuel.

23) The energy savings (income in kind) is not taxed by Uncle Sam.

24) Once in awhile I find hardwood pieces that I can use in the workshop.

25) The sawdust from my workshop helps make good stove lighters.

So, there you have it. Did I leave anything out? Please add to the list as you see fit so that I can add more ammunition to my reply to the man who thinks that I may be a pyromaniac. TIA.
Dont forget if fuels the CAD as well.:)

You need only one piece of firewood.

My father always told me: "Chad, you only need one piece of firewood to keep warm all winter." When I asked him WTF, his reply was carry it up the stairs, throw it out the window and repeat.....all winter long.

I got a kick out numbers 6 and 19. I gotta try doing breakfast on the stove tomorrow. Something simple like Canadian bacon and scrambled eggs and maybe a toasted English muffin. Ought to be fun!
Spike, I made my grill in the shop using 1/4" solid steel round rod for the grate, 1/2" square hollow steel stock for the sides, and a couple of walnut wood handles. I drilled blind holes about an inch apart in the hollow rod halfway to accept most most of the round rods except for the outer two. Those went all the way through for threaded rods. Then I added nuts on them to bolt the while grid together. That gave me about a 16" x 16" cooking surface with the 3' sides extending outwards from the fire for handles.

Then I cut four shorter lengths of solid 1/2' round steel rod to make legs that I bolted to the sides to hold the grill above the hot coals about 6". I made this contraption about 7 years ago, the grill is still in service today, and no welder was involved in the construction. At least 100 steaks and baked potatoes have been cooked on it.

If I can get my camera to work, I'll take a Pic and post.

i burn wood cuse it costs me no money to heat my house in the winter as its my only source of heat. i think its funny how it actually costs me more utility wise in the summer than it does in the winter. thats why i love wood oh and its one more thing i can do that makes me a little more self sufficient.

almost forgot i do enjoy cutting the trees up...maybe a little more than i should lol :)

#30. After a hour of cutting, shut off chainsaw,pour coffee from thermos, sit on log and listen to the woods.:)

That's a big reason for me too. I like to be outside and cutting wood and messing w/stove give me an excuse... Since I quit farming I get precious few days spent entirely outdoors.

Okay, Okay I get an excuse to buys saws too;)

Back