Why I will never buy Stihl again

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wait a minute here. A "seized valve". Unless two stroke motors have changed quite dramatically recently, there are no valves in a two stroke motor. I'd go back and ask the dealer to SHOW YOU the defective valve. You may ahve to "call his bluff". Or go to another dealer and get a second opinion.

Admittedly small two strokes don't have valves but large two stroke diesels most certainly do. About half way down this link there are pictures:http://www.wartsila.com/Wartsila/global/docs/en/service/Brochures/reconditioning_services.pdf
Some of them are taller than a man.

It all doesn't really matter, he likely won't be back here, until Bryan Equipment pisses him off, and then he will start a new thread.

For those of you who have not encountered a real idiot manager, the experience is breath taking. I have used Stihl almost exclusively over decades and so does almost everyone else in this area. The established Stihl shop is great and the small engine reapair shop nearby is also great. They know their stuff and have been around a long while. So a new equipment rental chain starts selling Stihl. Don't ask me why, but I bought a 180 from them. Nice little saw but the oiler stopped working. I don't know why but it had been cold and everything is more prone to failure then.) The saw is still under warranty, no problem with the fix. When I pick up the saw, there is a $75 charge since as the manager explained to me, the oiler failed because I hadn't used mixed gas. It took me a few seconds to process what he had said but when I finsished blinking, I explained to him that I did use mixed fuel in the fuel tank, the engine ran fine, the oiler was there to provide oil for the chain, and that there was no connnection between the use of mixed fuel for the engine and bar oil in the oil tank. He gave me a blank stare and walked away. Later he came back and reluctantly handed over the saw, said that he would only charge me for the parts. We discussed the meaning of "warranty", and he then agreed that there would be no charge. The invoice that I was given though just stated that the amount had not been paid. I asked another outlet of the chain for an interpretation of the invoice and they verified I had not paid for the service but still owed. I called the "bad" shop and asked them --and all of this done with nomal voice level--to please straighten it out. I just wanted my saw repaired and no further charges. I did ask the employee who witnessed the initial conversation with the manager if the manager was stupid or trying to rip me off. He replied, "Let's assume the former." That outlet no longer carries Stihl equipment.

That little MS 180 is a gem and I am surprised at how much I find myself using it.

The company put out a pickup order to check out your saw. Why don't you wait for the outcome before ranting on about never buying Stihl again? And I'm a Dolmar guy, but Stihl builds a good saw. Otherwise there would not be so many of them in use.:greenchainsaw:

They told me to take it back where I bought it.

I believe the OP because of this line right here. He didn't buy the saw at the dealer that he took it to. The dealer got uptight because he didn't sell the saw to him. I guess that's his choice but it seems to me that in his business you would want to make friends. He would have got paid for the warrenty work. Happy customers usually return to buy other things.

From my vast experience in job hopping, "idiot" and "manager" can be used
interchangeably.

It would be cute to see how many different jobs I have actually held, I
have a bad history in that department. Upper management cannot handle
too much truth or criticism

The company put out a pickup order to check out your saw. Why don't you wait for the outcome before ranting on about never buying Stihl again? And I'm a Dolmar guy, but Stihl builds a good saw. Otherwise there would not be so many of them in use.:greenchainsaw:

This is true.

I have a couple

well he buys $400 saw and expects it to cut like a 660..ok granted it is a Stihl..but come one..I have 3 saws I bought from the dealer. If they have a warranty..I beat them like a rented mule..same with trucks..same with my bike..same with my 4-wheeler..if you have a warranty..use it..if something breaks...piss and moan until the fix it..and they will if you raise enough hell. I recently switched to synthetic Stihl oil...but ran the old orange bottle for 7 years..never had a problem...(ducks and hides) even with last years gas. sounds to me like your dealer is on dorr street..I drive 30 miles to talk to the best dealer around. I know that he will not give me a song and dance even if it costs him money.been dealing with him for quite a spell and spent a couple bucks there. My best advice to you..find a dealer that will show you the backroom and you will find a descent dealer. ask a lot of questions with people in the showroom..If they take the time to make you happy..generally they are halfway descent..of course my dealer now makes me hold to make a sale because I ask too many questions..and pretty much b.s. but you have to learn somehow..Stihl saws are great saws..keep them clean and sharp and throw them outta the tree every once in a while just to keep them in check. I have sold as many as I have bought and never had a complaint. and all I have sold have been to friends and co-workers..(which makes me money sharpening their chains)...best of luck

I believe the OP because of this line right here. He didn't buy the saw at the dealer that he took it to. The dealer got uptight because he didn't sell the saw to him. I guess that's his choice but it seems to me that in his business you would want to make friends. He would have got paid for the warrenty work. Happy customers usually return to buy other things.

Well, I have worked for many Stihl dealers, and am good friends with most of the reps at Bryan Equipment, and know when a customer first walks in, that
there will be trouble.
As a tech, and the one that deals with the customer, almost all of the time, I am relieved when I can get one through under warranty, but I also
know what won't fly........

As the guy that has to deal with the customers, I am more than happy to
file it under warranty.
But as the guy that pays the bills, I would really hate to replace a piston/cylinder, and not have it covered, which is found out a month or two later..........

So all of this pissed off customer bull, is just that.....

Calling the dealer an idiot is fine and cute....

Then when that doesn't work, going on up the ladder, and so on.

If the guy bought the saw from me, I would go a lot farther, but warranty
work is bullchit, and the dealer has to fight to make sure they are paid,
and you are lucky to come out ahead.

If the guy bought the saw from you, it is one thing, but well................

Sorry about the ranting, but he won't be back anyway....

Admittedly small two strokes don't have valves but large two stroke diesels most certainly do. About half way down this link there are pictures:http://www.wartsila.com/Wartsila/global/docs/en/service/Brochures/reconditioning_services.pdf
Some of them are taller than a man.

Im not bashing you at all. I am a truck mechanic and there are/were millions of puke green and silver Detroit Diesel engines that are 2 stroke. Most have 4 valves per cylinder. But they are too large for chainsaw powerheads!:cheers:

From my vast experience in job hopping, "idiot" and "manager" can be used
interchangeably.

It would be cute to see how many different jobs I have actually held, I
have a bad history in that department
. Upper management cannot handle
too much truth or criticism

Why am I not suprized at that. :monkey:

<snip>
In the dealers defense if you didn't buy the saw from him he probably figured that you were just like every other half wit that brings in a seized piece of OPE ran on bad or straight gas and probably didn't even really look at it. At least stihl took it upon themselves to investigate the problem so to say you would never buy stihl again is a little extreme, especially when you admitted you had good luck for the last decade with them.
<snip>

All very good points.

Hello,

I have a Stihl MS 290 Farm Boss that is less than 1 year old. All things considered, this saw has been awesome..... until it stopped running.

Let me preface by saying that I am not new to 2-cycle engines and I've been using Stihl saws for at least a decade without any real problems with the equipment itself.

I had this 290 quit on me after cutting into 3 or so cords over a 2 day period. At first, it would only quit at idle. I originally suspected a carb problem on the low side since it would run fine on the high. Naturally I took the saw into the closest Stihl dealer / servicer since I am no intellicarb genius... AND it is still under warranty.

To my surprise, the dealer called back a few days later saying I had a seized valve. I was shocked. I was even more shocked when the dealer suggested this seizure was due to improper lubrication! I am most certainly the guy who has Stihl brand underwear along with my Stihl 2-cycle and bar oil. And wouldn't you know that I also mix 50:1 with always fresh higher octane fuel as well.

This is where I get even more mad. The dude at the dealer even suggested that maybe I used straight gas myself or loaned the saw out to someone who would use straight gas. First... nobody borrows a $400 saw from me. Second I know the difference between my Stihl mixture and other fuels. I asked them to investigate it, test the fuel, do anything at all. They would only suggest that it was improper lubrication and would not attempt to investigate it further. They told me to take it back where I bought it. Sorry, i thought I was at an authorized service center? Yeah.. I was. I told the owner of the shop, respectfully, that I would expect to hear from his Stihl territory manager if I were him. His response was "go ahead... he is a good friend of mine".

Naturally, I am nauseated at this point. My Pulan Pro toy saw lasted longer than this! I called the regional distributor and eventually got them to order a UPS pickup so they could investigate it properly to see if there is a defect of some kind. This is most certainly something I would expect the dealer / servicer to do in the first place, right? I guess not.

I understand there are some people out there who treat their equipment like dog crap. I am honestly not rich enough to treat a $400 saw like it is disposable. I personally don't like people suggesting I do without even an attempt to investigate.

To all of you Stihl service professionals out there: I would be angry that your peers conduct themselves in such a way. To the manufacturer, I would be ashamed that you would allow such people to represent you. If I am, by some crazy chance, running coleman lantern fuel in my saw, then I deserve to buy another one at my own expense. Otherwise, STIHL should be thinking hard about buying me a saw that works. Maybe... a Poulan Pro?

Either way, I will likely never buy another Stihl again after this experience. Even a new or repaired saw would only keep me from driving to the corporate offices to see this guy's dealership revoked and given to someone who is up for the job.

Hey hey hey, your a new poster, cool beans. Interesting story you got there. I can see your temper is up and if all is true can't blame ya. That saw is under warranty, you say the mix was fresh so it should not have failed. Under warranty it should be repaired at no charge.

However if its scored on intake and exhaust then yes its your fault, thats lack of lube, dealer knows it and is not budging, exhaust only then probably not. Thing is without seeing the piston everything is a question mark.

Far as the rest of your story about Stihl the company thats non-sense and no I'm not angry at my peers at all, they serve me very well. Your dealing with a dealer thats showing you no mercy at all but not all are like that. They also should not be telling you to take it back where you bought it, thats wrong. He shouldn't be rubbing in the fact the regional manager and he are good friends. I sense tempers flared good in that shop and your not exactly stating what all you said and how you said it. Loved to have been a birdie setting on the roost of that shop listening in. You guys set each other off in a temper match, thats obvious.

I recently had a MS310 come in , fried, less than a year old. Fried on the exhaust side only. Everything looked ok otherwise. One phone call, 5 minutes later the man is walking out the door with a new MS310. Yes the same company your raising hell about handed my customer a new saw in less than 5 minutes after I called them so chill on the company, your wrong, the dealer you may be right on about.

Good story though, let us know the outcome.

Back