Why I will never buy Stihl again

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
but the story illustrates mistakes can and does happen. this is why I've never used bulk synthetic oil.... inspite of that oil getting raves reviews on AS. Reason.... no dye... no way to tell if I forgot to add oil to the gas.

with stihl oil.. the dye tells proof positive oil was added. not saying you did... but if you did forget to add oil "one" time... both intake and exhaust side will be scorched.

so defending yourself is not really necessary.... what really counts is what does the damage in your saw say?

LOL. Good story, but I my wife would've put the gas into her car and left it empty. Rules that one out.

must be the dealer. i just got a 290 and it seems to run fine, but lacks the power in the cut. My husky 345 actually cuts better. I contacted corp and they were real professional and said take it back to the dealer and we'll get it cutting to the best of its ability and if I have an issue contact them direct.

Never knew some deisels were actually two strokes.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/x1YXx4kytNU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/x1YXx4kytNU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/x1YXx4kytNU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/x1YXx4kytNU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/k3qyR2z8xEs&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/k3qyR2z8xEs&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

You didn't want to name the dealer that has treated you poorly, but you don't mind bashing stihl before they have a chance to make it good.

Like I said before... the manufacturer chooses the dealer so they are ultimately responsible for their conduct. I am bashing stihl for this and because it is the only brand saw not working for me right now. If they want to make it "good" then they need to support their product from the dealer up.

hehehehee

Sounds to me like one of two possibilities. Stuck canooter valve. Or a bad muffler bearing.

Those G.D. Canooter valves always cause issues like this dude. I know I've had at least 10 fail on me and ruin my saw also. I think the 029 is one of those fancy dual overhead cam saws dude. They are rare indeed...

:jester:

Those G.D. Canooter valves always cause issues like this dude. I know I've had at least 10 fail on me and ruin my saw also. I think the 029 is one of those fancy dual overhead cam saws dude. They are rare indeed...

:jester:

yep, there is a good aftermarket supplier for them, but I cant say the name here...:censored:

The level of arrogance in this thread is pretty high. There seems to be disbelief that there could even be problem with a Stihl. It’s funny how we expect some saws to blow up when new if you don't richen up past the limiters. I have had the same treatment at a Stihl dealer and all I did was question the price of a file. Seems they don't like Bailey's mentioned. I would be pissed with Stihl also.
ZG

Trust me, I will stay on top of it. It has been about 2 weeks since this all started. I figure most of their non-commercial customers would've just took their word and bought a new saw. I think that's what scares me.

fpc,

First off, welcome and Hello!!

The dealers and Saw whisperers here will steer ya straight, but hang in there on the company, as you havn't dealt with them yet.

You have had communications with a singular dealer that may be not so hot in the first place and slipped through the cracks. It happens.

Your usual local dealer is solid right? So's mine, and so are several nearby me.

But there is one, that is the next closest to me, that looked me in the eye and told me that the "1" on the MS361 meant that it was a newer Strato saw when I asked about any news on the 362. He also informed me that he could not sell me RMC chain because I was not a professional customer..LOL!!
He did sell me a 72 link loop of RSC however, and didn't bat an eye.:dizzy:

Hang in there. Give the Regional guy a chance to do what is right before ya go slamming on poor old Stihl.
If ya get hosed by the rep, then vent again here, and we will welcome you to the darkside, where better dealers are even tougher to find because of the Frickin' box stores.:D

Have ya talked to your Regular dealer about it yet?
He's likely gonna be upset if he didn't get a chance to help you.
Mine would...It would mean I swore off Stihl because of an issue he had no hand in rectifying, and he loses my $$$$ on future purchases.;)

Stay positive, and have a smidge of patience.;)
Wait untill ya have all your ammo gathered, before climbing the bell tower.:D

Take care!
Dingeryote

So on one hand we got a guy with a saw burned up from bad gas that's saying it can't have had bad gas because he wears Stihl underwear. On the other side, we have an adversarial interpretation of what the dealer said, and the dealer said it had bad gas ran through it and he's not buying a new saw to cover the user's abuse.

Interesting. . . :popcorn:

So on one hand we got a guy with a saw burned up from bad gas that's saying it can't have had bad gas because he wears Stihl underwear. On the other side, we have an adversarial interpretation of what the dealer said, and the dealer said it had bad gas ran through it and he's not buying a new saw to cover the user's abuse.

Interesting. . . :popcorn:

You forgot the lack of admissable evidence, and the shop standing on purported speculative circumstance despite the fuel bieng present.

Get your fuzzy Jhonny Cochran slippers on Mule, you may have your first client. LOL!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

You forgot the lack of admissable evidence, and the shop standing on purported speculative circumstance despite the fuel bieng present.

Get your fuzzy Jhonny Cochran slippers on Mule, you may have your first client. LOL!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote
With this kind of client, I'd better get a non refundable retainer up front, huh. :)

And then you got this guy on the other end that chimes in that admits to consistently sitting on his A$$ watching some series and has no interest in saws? Is home depot hiring?

And then you got this guy on the other end that chimes in that admits to consistently sitting on his A$$ watching some series and has no interest in saws?

If you're talking about me, I watch between 1 and 2 hours of tv per week, and I have a great interest in saws. Typical yankee ignorance it seems. :)

about bad apples.

seems latley there may be far more bad ones then good.

customer service is going out the window in this country.

If you're talking about me, I watch between 1 and 2 hours of tv per week, and I have a great interest in saws. Typical yankee ignorance it seems. :)
Yeah right.....yankee ignorance? Thats an old school comment....how many hours do you spend on the AS site talking about saws?

Yeah right.....yankee ignorance? Thats an old school comment....how many hours do you spend on the AS site talking about saws?

Too many. It's my break from real thinking. :cheers:

Take tonight--I got off work at 11, and I sit here and browse while I eat supper, been about an hour. I'll get off in the next 15 minutes, and get up at 6 am to work on a final project for one of my classes, and might browse an hour or two tomorrow as I'm thinking about other things. When I'm not at work, I'm on the computer, studying or browsing--about 8 to 10 hours per day.

Latest posts

Back