why is a used Husky 394xp so cheap?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikesandcars

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
sounds like a stupid question right..cheap is relative, but hp/$ seems high with them. There's something about used saw economics I don't understand.

I'd like to eventually get a higher HP saw, I've been looking for a while at buying a used dolmar / makita 6400 and doing the bailey's 80cc upgrade on it... I was hoping to get a used saw for around $300 +100 cylinder +100 air filter upgrade and end up around $550 total.

On ebay looking around it seems that the stihl, dolmar, husky saws in the 70-80cc range hold their value north of $600 to $800, but the really big-boy saws like the 394xp are frequently going for (used / worn) in the $500 range.

Having never driven either, for the same price, what would you suggest? Is the 394xp so much heavier and more tiring than a 70cc saw that people don't actually want one?

Get one. Do the muff mod, heavy duty filter upgrade and go cut something, then ask yourself this same question again.

I've actually noticed the same thing......As far as Ebay goes, Husky saws seem to bring less than comparable Stihls.

394's are a big bang for the buck.....I get a good $ for them when I have them, but see some advertised pretty cheap and the ads stay up for awhile.:confused:

Get one. Do the muff mod, heavy duty filter upgrade and go cut something, then ask yourself this same question again.

lol, talk like usually ends up with me buying early xmas presents :)

The only thing stopping me is my fear of "if something is too good to be true it usually is"... I've searched some of the reviews here and they seem positive, I'd expect it to be a little heavy, but for occassional use maybe it's the way to go.

I see a lot of 394's/395's in the sub $600 range. Mine was $550 used, PHO. You can find them under $500 if you stay on top of the auctions.

I see a lot of 394's/395's in the sub $600 range. Mine was $550 used, PHO. You can find them under $500 if you stay on top of the auctions.

I usually only get around $650-700 for a freshly rebuilt and ported 394 selling locally on CL. There is just not that much demand for them in the middle of IA I guess. :msp_unsure:

Get you one. Honking nice powerful saw. You won't need it all the time, but man, get in some big wood..you will appreciate it.

Guys like 50s to 70s because they are more practical for most wood, but, get in the big stuff, no replacement for displacement plus a big bar.

50,70,90 3 saw plan!

I usually only get around $650-700 for a freshly rebuilt and ported 394 selling locally on CL. There is just not that much demand for them in the middle of IA I guess. :msp_unsure:

That's a buyer's market for sure! I suspect a rebuilt one would take $650 here on AS, without being ported. But again, that's just a speculation.

Get you one. Honking nice powerful saw. You won't need it all the time, but man, get in some big wood..you will appreciate it.

Guys like 50s to 70s because they are more practical for most wood, but, get in the big stuff, no replacement for displacement plus a big bar.

50,70,90 3 saw plan!

I like the way you think.. And that's probably where I'm headed. Though I may throw in a MM'd or ported 70cc in case I get a tract of 20-24" hardwoods. So far it's 90% pine.

394's are one of the better values in used saws. I had a well worn one earlier this year. It had been used by a full time firewood cutter/logger since new. Don't think it had ever had even its plug changed in 15 years. Still put my ms 660 to shame.

394's are one of the better values in used saws. I had a well worn one earlier this year. It had been used by a full time firewood cutter/logger since new. Don't think it had ever had even its plug changed in 15 years. Still put my ms 660 to shame.

They are a good value. I bought one for under $400 that was in real good shape and good compression.

It put the 660 to shame since it was a lame turd any way:p

They are a good value. I bought one for under $400 that was in real good shape and good compression.

It put the 660 to shame since it was a lame turd any way:p

I know, right?

The thing is I didn't realize what a lame turd the 660 is until I went back to using it when I sold the 394xp.

Another member and I have e-mail each other every now and than and there was some big saws on c-list a while ago. I got the 288 and he got the 2094. I wish I had the cash to get the other saws. It looked really good and it had a lot of compression. I don`t know what he paid for the 2094 but it was listed for $350.00.

Another member and I have e-mail each other every now and than and there was some big saws on c-list a while ago. I got the 288 and he got the 2094. I wish I had the cash to get the other saws. It looked really good and it had a lot of compression. I don`t know what he paid for the 2094 but it was listed for $350.00.

DriveSprocket.. Congrats on the saws. Now, what would it take for you and I to switch living situations? :msp_biggrin: I miss your area.

OP, the saw you buy should match your needs.. At least until you're fully submerged in CAD. Having said that, what are your needs? What kind of timber do you cut, both species and diameter (a range would be nice)?

lol, talk like usually ends up with me buying early xmas presents :)

The only thing stopping me is my fear of "if something is too good to be true it usually is"... I've searched some of the reviews here and they seem positive, I'd expect it to be a little heavy, but for occassional use maybe it's the way to go.

Mine was made in 1992 or so. When I got it it was u-s-e-d, as in: muffler rotted and falling off to such an extent it melted the chainbrake handle off. It still ran like wild. I pulled the cylinder, placed in a new piston (it didn't need it), rings, a new muff with the mod I did, and a chainbrake assembly. I did take the time to slap a ball hone in there for 10 seconds just like it shows on Bailey's website. After a few months I bought a used heavy duty filter and fitting. Oh, a new bar oil filter and gas filter.

This was a photo off eBay:
5601Husky_1.JPG

and

5601Husky_2.JPG

This is the mod I did on the muffler and you can see the new chainbrake assembly. Oh, I forgot to add I bought a used full wrap handlebar.

394_Muffler_mod.jpg

I haven't had any problems starting this thing all the way down to -37*F. It is one tough and good running saw. Right now I need to install a used tank/handle since after five years banging around on the sled being pulled over frozen snow/ice, the original developed a crack.

Seriously, get one, mod the muff ($20 for parts), heavy duty filter ($50 for parts), and go cut something. You'll kick yourself for waiting so long.

Right now this thing wears a 24" Cannon bar with Stihl .404 RS and an 8-tooth sprocket.

Here's mine after I started cleaning it. I bought it along with a couple 372's and a 346 before mud season. I sold the 372's for more than I paid for the whole package so this one was a 'freebie' to me. Ended up selling it for $400.

ICFdpdF.jpg

Got mine for around 300-400. Came home put an edge on it pulled the 660 out and walked them back to my wood pile pile. 660's been sitting every since.

Back