Why some men don't know how to do anything

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I read that stupid article, in all honesty it was worthless. If you dont already know how to do the things listed, then that article gave you just enough information to get you in trouble.
I was an EMT back home with a volunteer fire department, and the idea that you can learn CPR from a magazine article is ridiculous. Sure, they guy or gal maybe already dead, but performing CPR without the proper certification can get you sued in many states. With that article they gave you just enough information to accertain that you would put the victim beyond any help once real help arrived, IE broken ribs driven into the lungs, crushed stermum, etc.

Most of the time people - men or women - don't learn something until they have to, unless its something they are really interested in. We had water wells for 30 years and if you wanted any water you had to learn how to diagnose the problem. I got turned into an expert well fighter. Nothing made me draw up like my wife saying "Honey, we don't have any water." :cry:

It used to be easier with cars before the computer/electronics age hit, but there is still a lot of stuff you can fix yourself. It's amazing how many things you can learn how to do by a combination of ways. Some things, like the EMT procedures, you would have to have expert training in order not to hurt someone.

As far as mechanical stuff goes a person with a size four cap and a size 19 collar can learn how to fix of build just about anything at all - look at me (my cap size is a little smaller)

I can do most of the things on there...but I bet my wife could tell me how to do all of them better!:givebeer: :givebeer:

i noticed one of the things said "tape drywall".

i've done a few drywall jobs and believe me, when it has to be done, no one is an expert. but, once they pay you to do the job, they become an expert.

Stupid....

Bet most guys on this site can do 70% of that crap. How well, who knows, or cares? Women can prolly do a whole lot more. As far sueing me when I perform cpr, no way, laws for that. But...There is the law YOU have to help if able, or you will be in trouble. Anyway, if you try and sue me, well I should have just let you turn blue and walk away!!!! Bruce:monkey:

You can't be serious...

Kevin

You would be surprised these guys worry about their clothes and have $50 haircuts. They think I am stupid spending time cutting wood or putting a new roof on my house myself, they say "Don't you have better things to do?"

You would be surprised these guys worry about their clothes and have $50 haircuts. They think I am stupid spending time cutting wood or putting a new roof on my house myself, they say "Don't you have better things to do?"

$50 haircuts...:jawdrop: :jawdrop:

About the time I think I've heard (or seen) it all, I'm proven very wrong. I never knew these type of people existed. Unbelievable.

Oh, and about the "Don't you have better things to do?"... what do they do outside of work?

Kevin

About the time I think I've heard (or seen) it all, I'm proven very wrong. I never knew these type of people existed. Unbelievable.

Oh, and about the "Don't you have better things to do?"... what do they do outside of work?

Kevin

I spent 50$ on a pair of beard trimmer 2 years ago and have been using it to cut my hair every since. Every six months or so I have to go to cost cutters and get it straightened out cause it gets pretty ugly. Then it is only 15-25 dollars...depending on how cute the girl is that cuts my hair....

I can do most of those things except for the girlie stuff. Well, I can do some of those things too but that's what I have a wife for. :D

I spent 50$ on a pair of beard trimmer 2 years ago and have been using it to cut my hair every since. Every six months or so I have to go to cost cutters and get it straightened out cause it gets pretty ugly. Then it is only 15-25 dollars...depending on how cute the girl is that cuts my hair....

My wife cuts my hair, and does a good job. But once in a while she'll INSIST that I go get a professional haircut if we're going to a wedding or someplace where she wants her man to look his best. Then I gripe about having to drive the 45 mins to a hour to town for the $10-$12 haircut (when I feel her free haircut will do just fine). That's my girl...:)

Kevin

Kevin

they don't work outside, they pay people to cut their 1/8th acre around their 6K sq-ft houses. They are the sales guys at the company and some of them are OK guys just a little mixed up in their priorities.

That's why there are Good Samaritan Laws...

Good samaritan laws do not protect you in the case of CPR being performed by someone who got their training from Popular Mechanics. The good samaritan laws protects professional and semi professionals such as volunteer firefighters and other folks that have had certification in the area from civil action in the event that something goes wrong and further harm falls on the victim.
For the good samaritan law to be a blanket, the victim has to agree to want your help and you have to be reasonably trained in the procedures necessary to save life or limb. In the event of a trauma that would render a person necessary of cpr, you are not going to accertain that they want your help. In the three states that I was a licensed EMT3,(Washington, Oregon, and Idaho) the good samaritan law did not protect an EMT or anyone else if they performed outside their scope of education or experience. I was not certified for water rescue, and in the summer of 1993 performed CPR on a man that had drowned. CPR was performed IN THE BOAT on the way back to the beach and continued until the rescue unit arrived where the transported. Three days later I was called into the Chiefs office during our weekly drill meetings, and was informed that the dept was holding their breath that we woudnt get sued. I had broken three ribs on the man during cpr, mainly because of the up and down motion of the boat under full throttle on a choppy lake. But, because of my lack of certification in water rescue, we were wide open for a lawsuit.Chief advised me that in the future, wait until the boat lands on the beach before starting any rescue efforts.
the man did not survive, and thankfully we did not get sued.

Kevin

Haven't you ever seen John Edwards "the breck girl"
$250.00 hair cuts !
Malpractice Lawyer
Nuff said

I have done the majority of those things... I am even good at some of the "girlie" things.

Just bought a new sewing machine this spring for making tactical gear for a local SWAT team, have made bivy sacks, made panniers for buddies who are in Colorado hunting right now, and repaired a ton of camping hiking gear.

....and I just got a $10 haircut.

Back