Will concrete effect soil PH?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LightningLoader

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Planting a garden behind the factory here and have run into a lot of lime rock type material and what seems to be the remains of concrete from them washing off construction equipment.

Is this going to cause a PH problem? Assuming that the lime rock is ok since it isn't actually elemental lime, but the watered down concrete residue concerns me.

Yes the lime from the concrete will alter PH.....but that is the least of your worries.....concrete also conatins Fly ash, coke, and a bunch of other stuff.

If this is a veggie garden you should have the soil tested for sure at your local extension service. You will want to know what toxins might be in the soil. Also check the pH. Most veggies prefer a pH of neutral to slightly acid. I can get you links on that if you like.

Newt

Sounds like a good place not to plant a garden of edibles, I Googled 'concrete toxicity' and the results were startling> http://www.concretewashout.com/pages/industry_problems/concrete_washwater/
I didn't delve any further but I'd imagine there'd be a mess of junk not mentioned too from oils, lubricants etc. etc. used on the machinery.
Maybe consider raised beds/bins and truck in clean soil, I don't think it would be prudent to be eating anything out of the original soil :(
PH is the least of the worries.

The thing that throws me off here is that sandspurs seem to thrive in this spot. If the lime and whatever concrete may have ended up there changed the Ph to more basic, then it should inhibit the growth of sandspurs right? They always say to apply lime to get rid of sandspurs because they like acidic soil.

If this is a veggie garden you should have the soil tested for sure at your local extension service. You will want to know what toxins might be in the soil. Also check the pH. Most veggies prefer a pH of neutral to slightly acid. I can get you links on that if you like.

Newt

I agree. have it checked and know for sure. I think its even free (but dont take my word for it)

Back