Will Strato charged motors be less reliable long term?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup...give Ice Cube a prize, or a rubber cookie. no ope manufacturer markets better than Stihl. Even landscapers in our area are figuring out that the 4-mix trimmers and blowers are...junk...for lack of a better term. They will put new pistons and cylinders on old fs80/85's before they buy a new 90/110/130. A lot are running echo and red max back pack blowers now. Sure...you'll save some fuel running a br600, but it won't last long enough to recoup the savings. Thank god we deal Toro too...the only Z on the market that matters!! :p

i have a stihl fs250 trimmer to fight 6 acres of weeds. i bought it used from my local stihl dealer. someone had left it for a carb rebuild or something, likely due to ethanol. the poor guy couldn't afford to get it back and had to leave it, probably bought a smaller one before he left. actually he was lucky. the tech had done an incompetent job, obviously didn't have a clue about the weird carb that came on that model. it has single mixture adjustment where the idle speed adjustment is supposed to be, not a needle, about 8mm long and maybe 1.5mm wide, rounded on the end, and to make things just a little harder to figure out, left handed threads, no idle speed adjustment, pain in the ass, german engineering. took me a while to figure things out. also the throttle cable was adjusted so it would only open to half throttle. that being said it is well built and has good power.

the dealer is a friend but i have seen him give guys the "chingas" on multiple occasions. typical, a guy brings in his 039 after leaving gas in it all winter, needs a carb rebuild. the dealer estimates repairs at $50 under replacement price for a new 390. the hombre brings the 039 to me. i charged him $50, $20 for parts, $30 for labor. i witnessed the same scam with an 038 magnum. saw it unfold in the shop. i wanted to take the guy outside and have a talk with him but like i said the dealer is a friend. the customer, a contractor, bought a new saw but was smart enough to leave with his 038.

Judging by your post, you're.....

If you're going to correct me you would be well served to check your grammar carefully.

What was that bit about arguing with an idiot? :dumb2:
I could care less about spelling, your the clown that went on a rant about my post. This is a public forum, if you don't like what is posted, ignore it or move on, simple as that. And still stand by my post, not arguing with an idiot. I guess I screwed up. I see you have been a member here for a whole 6 months, not sure why I even replied to any of your jabs. I am guessing you are one of the juveniles from the other site, sent over here to stir the pot. No matter to me, the ignore button here is a nice feature, your posts are meaningless to me anyway. Maybe someday you will get to play with big boys, just not today........

Ah, yes, a measly 6 months here. What was I thinking! How dare I point out that you're full of bias and dare to disagree with you! I take umbrage at my own posts. The bare faced cheek of me.

How about you go back to comparing the feature set of 1983 Stihl saws to whatever you want to piss on today, eh? It'd be a better use of your time and might stop this nonsense before you do something really dumb, like suggesting I'm clearly BA or a troll from the big-bad-other-site-that-can't-be-named, just because I'm not yet tired enough of your drivel to point out that you're 'talking out of your hole'

BULL SHIIT!

Since they are lifting he safeties on this site and it is going to shyte, I may as well become a troll here. They are exhaust strato saws, regardless of Brad's complete ignorance on the matter.
Well, that's an old discussion here - perhaps they are, but there is little evidence in the port configuration or timing. It's hard to see how it is unconventional in any way other than that cooling dohicky under the piston. Take a look at a Tanaka Pure Fire engine for a real exhaust delayed scavenging design.

Does Stihl actually claim the 461 is an exhaust delayed scavenging engine?

And talk about cooling and lubrication concerns!

Not a fanboy, just a good dealer who knows and sells the best. And not calling names,just stating the clearly obvious. Stihl has no competition, they are the competition, not single other brand can touch their sales numbers, not even close.And FYI, I own/ run Stihl, echo , and jonsered.........

You sound like a used car salesman . Keep drinking your kool-aid.

If it is Stihl kool-aid, gladly. That kool-aid makes my family hundreds of thousands every year. And it just keeps getting better.

Well aren't you special. Nobody here gives a flying **** about the money you make, and I doubt anyone wants to hear about it.

Not a fanboy, just a good dealer who knows and sells the best. And not calling names,just stating the clearly obvious. Stihl has no competition, they are the competition, not single other brand can touch their sales numbers, not even close.And FYI, I own/ run Stihl, echo , and jonsered.........
You have within the last few months come on here and asked things that a good dealer wouldn't have to ask. One guy more or less commented that something seemed odd at the time. Perhaps you post stuff as what you think is community service that you already know.

I do not wish to do troll or flame. I do wonder like the ford/chevy pick up. Ford sells the most but when you add Chevy and GMC together then isn't the sum larger? How do those numbers look if everything under the whole corporate umbrella are added in. Mahindra sells the most tractors does the same logic follow Mahindra vs Deere? I am kind of curious how those numbers look broken down by size and weight of machine.

You have within the last few months come on here and asked things that a good dealer wouldn't have to ask. One guy more or less commented that something seemed odd at the time. Perhaps you post stuff as what you think is community service that you already know.

I do not wish to do troll or flame. I do wonder like the ford/chevy pick up. Ford sells the most but when you add Chevy and GMC together then isn't the sum larger? How do those numbers look if everything under the whole corporate umbrella are added in. Mahindra sells the most tractors does the same logic follow Mahindra vs Deere? I am kind of curious how those numbers look broken down by size and weight of machine.
ahh, perhaps indeed

Stihl has no competition, they are the competition, not single other brand can touch their sales numbers, not even close.And FYI, I own/ run Stihl, echo , and jonsered.........
Sthil is the best at marketing. Everything else is in the eye of the beholder. Nobody can argue that Stihl has done the best at marketing their product

The stratos are holding their own no doubt abut that. Less fuel consumption is true, but your concerns about less oil are unfounded. 50:1 is the same no matter what. The ratio doesn't change. Check your math....

The stratos are holding their own no doubt abut that. Less fuel consumption is true, but your concerns about less oil are unfounded. 50:1 is the same no matter what. The ratio doesn't change. Check your math....
That's the problem with some of the analytical crowd here. Simple math is above their thought process

Latest posts

Back