will these trees make it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jskron

Reaction score
Hello, I am new here and was hoping get some help with my trees, We moved into a new house last September and all of the trees that the builder planted seem to be a little unhealthy and I was wandering if there is any thing I can do to get them back up to looking full and healthy. I'm not sure what kind of trees they are but from asking around I think they're either a Londonplane or sycamore trees. Here are some pictures.
1.View attachment 192776This tree was planted last September and this spring all of the branches were dead and the leaves were sprouting on the trunk. I cut all of the dead branches off but should I cut the bare top also?
2.View attachment 192777 These are the leaves. Does anybody know what kind of tree this is?
3.View attachment 192778 This is the same kind of tree as the other but it was planted in early spring this year. Is there anything I can do to get a fuller looking tree next year?
4.View attachment 192780 not sure what kind of evergreen this is. it is getting little buds on it right now.
5.View attachment 192781 This tree is looks to be bleeding sap all around the base of the trunk. I don't see any signs of insects though. I think its a type of cherry tree. it gets white flowers in early spring. this tree also lost all of its branches and has sprouted new ones off the trunk. is the sap something to be concerned about?

I have watered these trees at least once a week all summer. Most of the other trees though out the neighborhood look healthy and full but they are a year or two older. just wandering if my trees will get fuller with time or do they need special care?
thanks for any advice.

Hello, I am new here and was hoping get some help with my trees, We moved into a new house last September and all of the trees that the builder planted seem to be a little unhealthy and I was wandering if there is any thing I can do to get them back up to looking full and healthy. I'm not sure what kind of trees they are but from asking around I think they're either a Londonplane or sycamore trees. Here are some pictures.
1.View attachment 192776This tree was planted last September and this spring all of the branches were dead and the leaves were sprouting on the trunk. I cut all of the dead branches off but should I cut the bare top also?
2.View attachment 192777 These are the leaves. Does anybody know what kind of tree this is?
3.View attachment 192778 This is the same kind of tree as the other but it was planted in early spring this year. Is there anything I can do to get a fuller looking tree next year?
4.View attachment 192780 not sure what kind of evergreen this is. it is getting little buds on it right now.
5.View attachment 192781 This tree is looks to be bleeding sap all around the base of the trunk. I don't see any signs of insects though. I think its a type of cherry tree. it gets white flowers in early spring. this tree also lost all of its branches and has sprouted new ones off the trunk. is the sap something to be concerned about?

I have watered these trees at least once a week all summer. Most of the other trees though out the neighborhood look healthy and full but they are a year or two older. just wandering if my trees will get fuller with time or do they need special care?
thanks for any advice.

Something is very wrong with these trees and your arborvitae (#4) isn't looking too hot either, though there might be more hope for it. You might be over watering them, only water once the top inch or so of soil starts to dry out. Based on what I see in #5, I suspect they are all planted too deep. See this thread: Are you a root abuser?, then go out and dig around the base of these trees to look for the root flare.

Honestly, I would consider pulling these any re-planting with healthy trees from a good nursery in the fall. It's not that you won't be able to save them, it may be possible, but it likely isn't worth the required effort.

You should not have to steak up a tree of that size either, something is likely wrong if you do, especially when it has so few leaves to put resistance on it.

I'd talk to the builder or the nursery they hired. Most reputable nurseries will give at least a year guarantee, especially on things they planted.

That could be a london plane, but I'd like to see the top of that leaf and the bark. Also if your posting more photos, go ahead and take a shot of the base of the trees at ground level.

I'd get trees that are no larger than a 10 gallon pot and about 10' to 12' tall. Planting them in the fall is best.

I would like to see more pictures of #5, but if it lost all of it's branches, something is pretty wrong with it too, regardless of the cause of the sap issue.

Jamie

It probably has Sycamore Anthracnose and will look like crap even if you improve it's growing conditions.

Thanks for all of the info, it sounds like these trees should probably be replaced if I want good healthy looking trees a couple of years from now. So I think I will be replacing them this fall. And read up on proper ways to plant and mulch them until then. Thanks again for your help.

Latest posts

Back