Wish I had a camera

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nownowboyz

opps WHAT HAVE I DONE

Dident put my 20 cents worth in to start a **** fight,
We all have good (and to be fair) and bad points..on this subject..

I think rola was onto it ...copmuters take away the under tones of exppressing a point..

Outonalimb...I know where your comming from on nasty, set in their ways old men..Some folks are beyond help...

But PLEASE i work with 330kv, i'm sure many other readers work around powerlines too...Dont wish it upon anyone to be turned into a crispy critter...Damage to propity is one thing but hoping that some one gets killed or injured..come on...

I had thoughts just now of posting pics of people who have been in contact with lines....There pretty gross ,and dont want to upset the many readers to this thread...Send me your reg email and i'll send them to you....I think that will put an end to that... kind thoughts and regards ..Derek...

Why?

Spiders the size of plates? Ants that jump on you? F##k that!, wouldnt even consider working in an environment like that....Ye must bi rang in the heid.

Cant even begin to wonder what a spider knife is!!!! We carry extendable batons, on night shifts just in case we encounter junkies under railway bridges, which we do but so far havent actually had to use it, but would prefer to tackle a stoned phsyco with a 3' piece of steel than an insect that might kill you or immobilise you 50' up a tree!

icebreaker

If you had any idea, how cracked up with your posts MS200 I was,
youd want it on video....Absolutly floored me!!!

To help you out a little " BI rang in the head" YES :blob2:

I ment DINNER plates...As soon as i stop laughing over this ill find you a link to HUNTSMANS wont kill ya (like so many here), but will sure scare te **** out of ya when they get on your neck!!!

A "spider knife" despit what it must of sounded like to you over there, is'nt anything to do with giant spiders (which is why i find this sooooo funny) its a BRAND of knife (lol) that you can open with your thumb. Got a big hole in the blade

Ants that jump. BTW they have nippers that grab you (hurts enough) then there abdoman stinger kicks in again and again and that, id rather be the wino bum under the bridge..(at the time anyway..)

Have a look at http://www.ento.csiro.au/Ecowatch/Primary/hymenoptera/pages/bulldog.htm

opps dont think that will work must have to use the box up top..
I feel another lesson will be coming...Thanx for your last tips glens ill print it out tonite and follow your path...I promise to be able to "quote" something by tomorrow nite my time..

Nice to meet you ms200 (love the name) Keep posting Derek

Ps im putting a pic up sorry if its large I dident get a resize option when i flogged it off the net...D...

Outonalimb,
I do not use these antiquated techniques for the most part. I do however know how to do it and and have used it in a pinch for smaller wood rather than have a continuous loop sent up. Just a time saver if I need to chunk down one piece. However, I have done it once on larger wood when a flunky groundie took a gear bag out of the truck and failed to put it back in. The job was almost an hour away from the shop and I had an old rope with me that I didn't mind ruining. It was the lesser of two evils. Do I have three guys on the clock for two hours doing nothing or do I improvise, adapt and overcome. I choose the latter. If you get to know me, you'll quickly realize I'm not a hack. These old school methods can make you money under the right circumstances. I prefer a block and a port-a-wrap any day but I can still do the work without them. The more versitle you are the more efficiently you can work, and efficiency increases your profit margin. Who doesn't like money? You won't catch me on a tautline or blakes but I still know how to tie them. I set my lines with a big shot but I can still set them with a throw bag (just not as well). If you rely completely on a piece of gear what will you do if it breaks or grows legs.

You may not fully understand the technique I am describing, and this guy was dropping BIG chuncks over and over again over a house. It may work in a pinch, it agree to that, but it seemed to be standard operating procedure for this guy.

Kenn

Kinda sounds like he's had that first year of experience repeated twenty or thirty times.

You can always learn something from anyone. In this case you may have learned exactly how you don't want to do tree work.:D

Look on the bright side, he's old he'll probably die soon.

Keep the faith, without hacks we'd be redundant.

Re: icebreaker

Originally posted by Derek

A "spider knife" despit what it must of sounded like to you over there, is'nt anything to do with giant spiders (which is why i find this sooooo funny) its a BRAND of knife (lol) that you can open with your thumb. Got a big hole in the blade

Spyderco knife?

sofunny

Yes RB.. Bad habitt of "pet names" over here...

Was it just me or did the comments by our Scottish freind(ms200) crack you up as well? Thanks for the correction..Derek...

Sometimes it amazes me how people go for so long with out doing any serious damage to them selves or property.

I haven't read the whole thread but, one day we were sawing up the wood after dropping the half rotten log of a big removal...rotten crap falling out and all. You know the big white larvae you see squirming around in that rot?...my boss was being a smart *ss and helps one over his mouth faking he was going to eat it and the thing crapped in his mouth:D

Originally posted by dbeck
You know the big white larvae you see squirming around in that rot?...my boss was being a smart *ss and helps one over his mouth faking he was going to eat it and the thing crapped in his mouth:D [/B]

Where's a camera (or video) when you need one!!

BTW dbeck the grubs you mentiond, sound like "whichity grubs" over here.. A delicicy to our native Australians...

Yum yum, They eat them whole...cr#p and all...Its good for you..
Find some more and "put em on the barby"

Not as nice as prawns,opps SHRIMP, but mabey your boss wont know...Tell him it's an Aussie dish...(but have another job lined up,just in case he doesent have a sence of humor..lol) Derek,,

Originally posted by OutOnaLimb
Sometimes it amazes me how people go for so long with out doing any serious damage to them selves or property.

i've seen this time and time again some guys call them selfs climbers they say there've been doing this for so many years pigs bum one guy coudn't tie a knot to save his life he had that many granny knots and half hitches sometimes it took a hammer and 5 min to undo em and how he didn't break limbs or ribbs from taking him self out with his own rigging scary guy to watch i tell ya

Originally posted by MasterBlaster
Pigs bum? Watch out, ya don't wanna get banned for foul language!!!:blob2:

:D

they dont speak alot of every day ozzy over there Iclimb,besides
it should been are_sss or is it the pigs...Derek...

Originally posted by OutOnaLimb

i definatly agree with you ..i know a firm of hacks who have been going for years and they will tackle anything as long as there ladder is long enough and beleive me they have got a bloody big tripple extender..they wear no harness ,havent a clue about proper felling techniques etc,..yet to my knowledge they havent injured themselves or done any serious damage ..now if i worked in that manner i'd have been dead years ago :D

I'd be willing to bet the hack firms have more skeletons in the closet than you think. A lot of people accept or are intimidated into accepting damage to their property. If you could be a fly on the wall for a year you'd be able to tell a very different story than they do.

My $.02

Back