Without wanting to start a 'flamewar' can I have suggestions for a top quality brand of saw. I've heard that Stihl, Husqvarna, Dolmar etc are rubbish.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stillusingstihl

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Without wanting to start a 'flamewar' can I have suggestions for a top quality brand of saw. I've heard that Stihl, Husqvarna, Dolmar etc are rubbish these days. My old Stihl 045 has recently 'given up the ghost' and friends tell me their modern plastic fantastics are unreliable. It's reliability I'm after. At 70 years of age I can no longer use the larger saws and was thinking of something around the 40-50cc mark for cutting my firewood.

Without wanting to start a 'flamewar' can I have suggestions for a top quality brand of saw. I've heard that Stihl, Husqvarna, Dolmar etc are rubbish these days. My old Stihl 045 has recently 'given up the ghost' and friends tell me their modern plastic fantastics are unreliable. It's reliability I'm after. At 70 years of age I can no longer use the larger saws and was thinking of something around the 40-50cc mark for cutting my firewood.
Stihl pro series saws. Who told you they are rubbish?

Echo 4910

The lightest 50cc pro saw on the market is the Echo 501p and it's a great saw. Not quite as powerful as the Steel or Hoosky competitors, but very light and reliable.

The Makita/Dolmar "Dolkita" 5000p is a great saw too, but about a pound heavier.

It was me...I said all the new Stihls and Huskys are rubbish, a real man's saw has plastic gas caps and that's IT.
What you need is a good 50 year-old McCulloch with points ignition, no anti-vibe or safety features and weighs 20 pounds. Looking for parts on eBay is part of the experience.

Obviously I'm joking.... but you should also consider a new Echo.

OP, go to your local dealer and talk to them. Mine happens to be a Stihl dealer, but he use to sell Huskies. Got a 500i on order. I’ve never got a bad saw from him. And I’m nearer your age.

No experience here with the echo brand but lots of guys like/recommend them. Like @lohan808 said ,the Stihl 261 is my recommendation. Antivibe is good as well as the power for that size saw. Cut a ton of wood with mine with no issues. If you think you may need a bit more power the MS 400 (67cc) would be my next choice. I like spending other people's money. :laugh: Good luck.

It was me...I said all the new Stihls and Huskys are rubbish, a real man's saw has plastic gas caps and that's IT.
What you need is a good 50 year-old McCulloch with points ignition, no anti-vibe or safety features and weighs 20 pounds. Looking for parts on eBay is part of the experience.

Obviously I'm joking.... but you should also consider a new Echo.
I still have carpal tunnel from the real mans saws!

Ah, the "I like the older saws" idea?

I like the older saws, too, but I have never had a new one so what do I know?

Manufacturers tend to make a variety of saws, from plastic trash disposable saws to pro model saws made to be run hard daily, to everything in between. It is a challenge to find a good used saw and there is a wealth of marketing hype out there which makes things more confusing.

I made a separate webpage for this...it lists saw models with a great reputation...google the text in my signature.

I would listen to other people as a starter..
While it's true that not all models of saws offered by Husqvarna, Stihl, and Dolmar are great flawless saws, all of them sell saws some models that are excellent in the 40-50cc range. My personal favorites in your displacement range of interest are the Dolmar/Makita EA4300, Husqvarna 346XP, and the Stihl 261. The 346XP is long out of production, but nice used saws can be found, the EA4300 is going out of production, but is the least expensive of the trio, and the 261 is currently in production and is the most expensive saw of the group.

Latest posts

Back