Without wanting to start a 'flamewar' can I have suggestions for a top quality brand of saw. I've heard that Stihl, Husqvarna, Dolmar etc are rubbish.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am 69. Almost 70. Maybe things will change in the (short) time until I get there, but in my experience it is not very much about "brand" of saw; it is about the actual saw in your hands. I own saws originally from Dolmar, Stihl, Husqvarrna, Farmertec, and Echo -- all of which are great saws. I have given away ("here, this is yours if you'd like to have it") saws made by Stihl, Husqvarna, Echo, etc. Almost all of the saws I own and like I obtained when they were being thrown away by someone else. They have been essentially good models (Stihl 038, etc.) none really "consumer grade throwaway saws" and I have worked on all of them to make them start and run well, rebuilds (sometimes just top, sometimes deep), carb work, changed out sprockets and bars etc. to make them good.
So, moral of my story: Any company's name can be on the saw and it can be less than good (or not worth it, or incapable of being worth it), or it can be a saw that has good enough "fundamentals" to be a good, even a great, saw.
In my experience, chainsaws require a kind of "relationship." I clean mine frequently, keep the chains sharp (even if the chain just needs a little touch up) rebuild carbs whenever necessary (at least change out the pump diaphragm whenever the alcohol in "best high-test gas I can find in the neighborhood" gets to them), change cracked or stiffened hoses, make very gentle carb adjustments winter / summer, etc. I don't spend a lot of time, I use them for working, not playing with. I don't "baby" them. But they reward me.

Without wanting to start a 'flamewar' can I have suggestions for a top quality brand of saw. I've heard that Stihl, Husqvarna, Dolmar etc are rubbish these days. My old Stihl 045 has recently 'given up the ghost' and friends tell me their modern plastic fantastics are unreliable. It's reliability I'm after. At 70 years of age I can no longer use the larger saws and was thinking of something around the 40-50cc mark for cutting my firewood.
Thanks everyone for your responses. A mate has given me his old Stihl ms230C which is about 40cc and seems alright for what I need. It's easy (but weird) to start but he could not get it to stop unless he choked it by pushing the black slide/lever fully down. I've given it a "mug mechanic" repair by attaching an insulated piece of wire to the ignition kill wire and touching it to the cylinder in order to stop the engine. Damien has swapped over to a couple of small Husqvarna saws for his firewood needs and is very happy with them (so far).

From a mechanic & a DIY standpoint, Stihl SUCKS, IMO. They make it very difficult for anyone outside the Stihl dealer network to service and repair their saws. It can be done, but it's MUCH harder than it needs to be, when there are other brands that you can EASILY find service info, diagrams, and parts for.

Case in point, I had a customer many years back drop off a Stihl saw that needed an ignition coil. Internet search proved fruitless. Had to drive over 10 miles (in MA, no less!) one way to order the stupid coil ... then pay tax (at this time there was no internet sales tax collected) and SHIPPING charges AT the dealer for it! I couldn't figure that one out! I'm at the damned dealer ... why the hell am I paying SHIPPING?? After that experience I started to convince the few customers that owned them to get away from Stihl.

MUCH easier fixing a Husqvarna or Echo unit. Got a basket case handed to you all apart already? Plenty of internet diagrams for either to help you figure things out. Parts can be ordered from ANYWHERE on the net - just pick the price you want to pay, and continue working productively, instead of making 2 round-trips to the Stihl dealer - once to order, and another to pick it up. The Husqvarna or Echo part will be left in my mailbox or on my doorstep while I bang out several other pieces of equipment.

Depends on how you operate. If you fix all your own stuff, steer clear of Stihl. If you don't mind burning fuel and time, plus paying someone else to do it, then by all means, go Stihl.

I am 69. Almost 70. Maybe things will change in the (short) time until I get there, but in my experience it is not very much about "brand" of saw; it is about the actual saw in your hands. I own saws originally from Dolmar, Stihl, Husqvarrna, Farmertec, and Echo -- all of which are great saws. I have given away ("here, this is yours if you'd like to have it") saws made by Stihl, Husqvarna, Echo, etc. Almost all of the saws I own and like I obtained when they were being thrown away by someone else. They have been essentially good models (Stihl 038, etc.) none really "consumer grade throwaway saws" and I have worked on all of them to make them start and run well, rebuilds (sometimes just top, sometimes deep), carb work, changed out sprockets and bars etc. to make them good.
So, moral of my story: Any company's name can be on the saw and it can be less than good (or not worth it, or incapable of being worth it), or it can be a saw that has good enough "fundamentals" to be a good, even a great, saw.
In my experience, chainsaws require a kind of "relationship." I clean mine frequently, keep the chains sharp (even if the chain just needs a little touch up) rebuild carbs whenever necessary (at least change out the pump diaphragm whenever the alcohol in "best high-test gas I can find in the neighborhood" gets to them), change cracked or stiffened hoses, make very gentle carb adjustments winter / summer, etc. I don't spend a lot of time, I use them for working, not playing with. I don't "baby" them. But they reward me.
Thanks Leaf. The old Stihls gave me great service for 42 years (as did the local small engine mechanic) but I'm clueless about modern equipment.

Without wanting to start a 'flamewar' can I have suggestions for a top quality brand of saw. I've heard that Stihl, Husqvarna, Dolmar etc are rubbish these days. My old Stihl 045 has recently 'given up the ghost' and friends tell me their modern plastic fantastics are unreliable. It's reliability I'm after. At 70 years of age I can no longer use the larger saws and was thinking of something around the 40-50cc mark for cutting my firewood.
I guarantee a Stihl 261 is not rubbish

Those are all good saws, from what I've heard. It all depends on what you want and what you want to spend. I've been using Echos for 40 years now, and have 3 of them, and a cheap Lowes electric 12" that is my go-to for most small jobs now. My Echo CS500VL is about 40 now and still going strong. Hard to get parts for, though. If you're using a saw every day you probably want a pro saw. My Echos sit around for months at a time and then get used hard for a week or month and sit again. They work. My main saw is a CS600P that is a few years old, and cut most of the load of log length I got this fall. It's a nice, powerful saw, though they shortly after I bought it came up with a souped up version of the same saw, and that kind of irked me, but still, it does what I need it to do. Stihl saws are built beautifully, and the Mid level Husqvarnas are very nice. I have no experience with Dolmars. Don't know if I've ever seen one. I didn't like the look and feel of the low end Husqvarnas I've seen in stores, but that's just perception. Never used them.
If I were you, for firewood, I'd look at Echo 50-60 cc saws. They're very reliable.

All of the saws you mentioned are actually “good” reliable saws, however they make both consumer grade and pro grade saws. Generally speaking, the consumer grade saws have a lot more plastic, so keep that in mind. FWIW, I‘m 74 and usually own around forty saws at any one time and do mine own maintenance. I do volunteer work running saw crews and I frequently have to provide other volunteers with the saws they use. For this, I own by far more Stihl 261s than anything else, even though for my personal use I go with Huskys.

Most reputable saw manufacturing companies have good and bad models every year.... I always ask my saw mod guy what make,model is good this year? Stihl will have some, Husqvarna others. Dolmar and Solos aren't very popular in the west coast... but the new Echo 72cc was recommended by him and has been impressive after he modified it.... The holzfforma knock off saws are also worth the price with a little customization....We've had some problems with newer computerized saws that have no adjustment screw capabilities, but figured out how to retrofit adjustable carbs, cancel out computer and port them properly... everything is going to be fuel injected or electric very soon.... hopefully they'll make the software available to consumers but I doubt it....

also born in 1953, my wrists are arthritic and cannot start let alone operate a big gas saw. So I found the Stihl MSA 220 which seems to do what I need.
I decided to build a Splitter around a Telehandler during Covid Lockdowns, the idea being no heavy lifting or chainsaw starting from a whole tree in the woods brought down by a storm, to feeding my woodstove.

Ah, the "I like the older saws" idea?

I like the older saws, too, but I have never had a new one so what do I know?

Manufacturers tend to make a variety of saws, from plastic trash disposable saws to pro model saws made to be run hard daily, to everything in between. It is a challenge to find a good used saw and there is a wealth of marketing hype out there which makes things more confusing.

I made a separate webpage for this...it lists saw models with a great reputation...google the text in my signature.
Tried it, nothing came up.

I am 71 + and use a 1998 Husky 365 that I upgraded to a 50mm piston. I block all my firewood with it and it is my favorite saw

Latest posts

Back