Wives and Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, that's a hire splitter we have used a few times, if you go to Levin Sawmakers Ltd and then click on the arborists supplies, there's a photo plus info on page 42-43 of the splitter.. Would be interesting for some of you guys to see the no doubt "huge" price differences between NZ and the USA/Canada for gear like chains/bars/climbing equipment etc etc.
The splitter is made here in Levin, a town of about17,000 people.
Damned powerful machine, seems to plow through anything, including old, dry gum..the hardest wood I've come across. Hire one has a Kohler of about 12HP I recall.

Hope there's something of interest in the catalogue.

Interesting catalog, thanks for sharing. Do the prices seem ridiculously high because of exchange rates and differences in currency, or are they just ridiculously high?
I'm not sure I could afford to cut wood in NZ.

Interesting catalog, thanks for sharing. Do the prices seem ridiculously high because of exchange rates and differences in currency, or are they just ridiculously high?
I'm not sure I could afford to cut wood in NZ.

Hi, prices in NZ are pretty high for most things, for instance the recent new 25 inch bar and chain for my MS440 was a "cheaper" bar , was $230 from memory, to get Oregon etc would be $300 probably for bar and chain at a guess?

4 litre (probably 4.2 quarts roughly) chain bar oils (under a gallon) are about $40 to $60 for Fuchs etc

gas is $2.20 a litre or roughly $7.50 a gallon..NZ is known to have crappy gas as well.

Recently bought a 2004 LTZ400 Suzuki quad..$4000, probably half that in the states

2 litres of milk is $3.90, equals 2.10 quarts I would think..in fact any dairy product, meat, cheese etc is very expensive here, and this is the country it comes from!!

Chrysler 300C SRT $88,000 NZ

Grand Cherokee 6.4 $98,000 NZ

New Stihl MS271 $1300

Just a few ideas on prices here..lol

I always get busted. Gotta mess with new saws when I get em so I get caught but I hav mostly only bought old project saw for cheap. I am safe as long as she does not find out how much I spend on parts :D

I had my little 021 saw I used for limbing stolen not so long ago and with the firewood season coming up I have been talking about wanting a new small saw. Last night she got me talking about saws and was paying attention about me talking about wanting a PS-420 to match my 7900. Well friday she made an attempt to surprise me by buying the saw and showing up with it from work but the local dealer quit carrying Dolmar! Oh well its the thought that counts I guess.

I only have two Husky's, and my wife was with me when I bought both of them.

One year ago today, SHE bought me my Ariens splitter - honest, it was her idea!

I used to buy guitars, (especially Martin Acoustic guitars), amps, and keyboards, and she was with me then too, and believe me, they were some big ticket purchases.

She knows I'm lusting for a bigger saw (a Stihl), but she knows I won't buy one without her. I started selling guitars to feed my new CAD - sort of traded GAS for CAD, which is cheaper overall!

My doesn't spend much time in the garage. By the time she sees a saw that looks unfamiliar to her, I can honestly say that I've had it for a while ;).

The business of saws and men is not the business of a woman. :potstir: LOL!!

All kidding aside, The ol' don't ask don't tell has worked quite effectively around here for the near 20 years we've been together, working on both sides of the street.
We both work, she pays the bills. If I pay cash for something and she sees it a while later, she may or may not ask about it. She doesn't always understand it, BUT, she understands men and tools(toys), her dad raised her right!

Yes, I've used the old, "Oh that?, I've had it for a while",,

I'm in the gun business and guys are always hiding their new stuff from their wife. The best way I have seen, is where the guy tells his wife he is going shooting at the range and walks out of the house with several hard gun cases......however, one of the cases is empty. Then he comes by my place, picks up his new gun, and walks back in the house with the same gun cases he walked out with.....and into the safe it goes.

Tony

I'm in the gun business and guys are always hiding their new stuff from their wife. The best way I have seen, is where the guy tells his wife he is going shooting at the range and walks out of the house with several hard gun cases......however, one of the cases is empty. Then he comes by my place, picks up his new gun, and walks back in the house with the same gun cases he walked out with.....and into the safe it goes.

Tony

All my saws are red n black so the new ones "blend" in.:p

Back