WM 520 stove opinions? Vogelzang pot belly?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naturelover

Tree Freak
Reaction score
I have an old Warm Morning 520 for the garage, but it is in need of new bricks and a new belly side. I still heat with it, it isn't a constant use stove, but am still getting worried about it. I do like the fact it doesn't take up much room, and it puts out good heat, but really likes the wood. It does better with coal, but I stick to blowdowns and dead-wood to heat with.

I really would like to keep it and fix it up, but with the cost of bricks, it would be cheaper to replace it. The only thing I see new that I would like would be either the Vogelzang 200,000btu pot-belly or the Wonderluxe stoves. If I went with the Wonderluxe, I would have to relocate my stovepipe to move it to the back wall.

Should I repair the WM or buy a new stove? Any other makers of the pot-belly style stove?

If new is recommended, how is the Vogelzang stove? It seemed to have a really small door opening and was kinda short, but guess that would be okay as I usually don't get too big of wood anyway. I do have a 18" dbh oak blowdown that I can get, but would have to split that regardless.

Did read a couple of posts here that said it put out great heat though.

But I bought the WM used, so could go that route too.

Well, now I'm more confused... :dizzy:

Thanks for any opinions though. :msp_smile:

I have an old Warm Morning 520 for the garage, but it is in need of new bricks and a new belly side. I still heat with it, it isn't a constant use stove, but am still getting worried about it. I do like the fact it doesn't take up much room, and it puts out good heat, but really likes the wood. It does better with coal, but I stick to blowdowns and dead-wood to heat with.

I really would like to keep it and fix it up, but with the cost of bricks, it would be cheaper to replace it. The only thing I see new that I would like would be either the Vogelzang 200,000btu pot-belly or the Wonderluxe stoves. If I went with the Wonderluxe, I would have to relocate my stovepipe to move it to the back wall.

Should I repair the WM or buy a new stove? Any other makers of the pot-belly style stove?

If new is recommended, how is the Vogelzang stove? It seemed to have a really small door opening and was kinda short, but guess that would be okay as I usually don't get too big of wood anyway. I do have a 18" dbh oak blowdown that I can get, but would have to split that regardless.

Did read a couple of posts here that said it put out great heat though.

But I bought the WM used, so could go that route too.

Well, now I'm more confused... :dizzy:

Thanks for any opinions though. :msp_smile:

Hi Naturelover:

Rather than mess around, I'd go with a new stove. Northern Tool has a whole bunch of wood burning stoves. Some also burn wood/coal. The "Lit'l Sweetie" for $199 sometimes goes on sale for $169. It had good reviews.

wood stove from Northern Tool + Equipment

Don <><

Back