won't idle...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brownpot Deaton

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I can not for the life of me get my 359 to idle..i took it apart to port it and the muffler, had a small problem with the exhuast port(little too high, but not sure how much) so i took the base gasket out and used ...i think it's rtv gasket maker..... and now if it's cold it will fire right up and idle decently, maybe a little rough for like 30 seconds then rpms drop and dies..when it warms up, it just goes to idle-ish rpm then rpm drops till it dies. no matter what i adjust the carbor idle to, it does this all day. and i know it will idle because i had done the port job before the muffler and it idled all day, but i went back in and now this...pisses me off and wears me out:censored: ..i live near sea level i think within few hundred feet. i am almost at the point where i am gonna just ask a dealer to rake all my money and tune it or get someone else to....it's only just over a year old.....please help me!!!:cry:

Sounds like a vacum or pressure leak of some kind,,,, Gotta pressure test it,,,,

and why didn't you PM me before you started this project??????

Last edited:
+1 poor idle is usually a air leak it could be seals or cracked impulse line. You should pressure/vactest it to see whats up.

new thought...

well went to start it again today aftera week, started right up and idled perfect!!!! for about a minute and half....rpms drops just enought to notic,,then down to rough idle...then speed up to a little bit above an idle...then down to zilch...got to talking to buddy who was watching ...after quick talking.. i remembered i had run some old mix in(how old...?????but it probably a 40:1 or less mix wich was a nono anyways...) but it wasa only to see if it would run decent and instead of draining right after like i should have...i left it that way then few weeks later, drained it and filled it up....so my thought is maybe i gummed something up or have crud somewhere in the line, but i think im going to take carb apart and check the lines and all since that seems easier to check..(how often do you replace the fuel filter in the tank since i never have????)....

sorry RR about not PM ing you...it was over xmas break and we have the slowest dial up connection around so i don't get online much when im home...and it was kinda impulsive idea..not that i imeediatly went to grinding ...right away ...but i had nothing else to do for a couple weeks

Sounds like a vacum or pressure leak of some kind,,,, Gotta pressure test it,,,,

Last edited by Lakeside53: today @ 11:32 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by RiverRat2 : Today at 09:17 PM.

p.s. what's it mean by edited by...were you cussing me out and somebody got offended????just curious.....kinda computer illiterate....

Change fuel filter once a year. I change sparkplug at the same time and like to keep a record of what has been done.

biting the bullet

well here it goes..my father always said you wont learn anything if you don't ask questions, even if they are stupid ones....

so please don't be too harsh on me if i do deserve it.....

:(

well...here's the long story...and embarrassing for me, but i still have to learn patience(if that doesn't already tell you your answer)...

I ported it hoping that by only widening the exhuast port would allow me to get by measuring squish since i do not really know how nor have all the tools. unfortunately, py porting hit a snag when the grinder caught and ground some out of the top of the exhuast port before i could stop it. so i read about what i could do to fix it possibly, and i believe that somewhere someone said the max you could have an exhuast raised( i believe on 359's) was 1/2 mm-ish so i believeing after running it and looking as the "gouge" that the exhuast guage went about .5-1-ish mm upward, read that by taking out the base gasket, i could drop the cylinder the gasket thickness, which i read was 0.5 mm, hopefully bringing into the range apropriate,and run it and see if it seems good. if not i just buy another jug which i was going to have to do anyway...I am very embarrassed about it, and if i was wrong from the get go, i realize it's my fault by i don't like admitting all this infront of many professionals who could criticize my to no end, and while i may be worthy of that for my thinking i could do it without measuring thigs first, i have lots of metal fab/shop experience. So

sigh ....that's my story every bit of it....cept something i may have truely forgotten....:( :( :(

I still thank everyone for their help though......

Go buy or borrow a cheap vernier caliper and check the squish. Use two pieces of solder in the cyl near the rim. you want minimum .014thou but should be closer to .18thou. You will probably have to make up a thin gasket to compensate if your squish is too tight. When you take material off the top of the exhaust port this lowers the compression slightly but dropping the jug will give you some back. I think your jug may still be ok just check the squish and then get a cheap bicycle pump with a gauge on it and an bicycle inner tube. Then you block off the exhaust port and you have a cheap pressure tester. Cut a short length of inner tube near the shrader valve and seal it over your carb with the airfilter removed. I reverse the plunger in the bicycle pump and now it will check vacuum. If your engine can't hold the pressure or vacuum you have a leak somewhere, use dishsoap and spray that around the seals and impulse line and carb bootwhile slowly turning the engine over to find out where the leak is.

Last edited:
I think someone needs a hug :hmm3grin2orange:

Sorry, did I say hug? I meant to say Jug!

Last edited by Lakeside53: today @ 11:32 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by RiverRat2 : Today at 09:17 PM.

p.s. what's it mean by edited by...were you cussing me out and somebody got offended????just curious.....kinda computer illiterate....

LOL!!!!! no way dude,,, was not cussing you,,,,, the "edited by"happens if you go into the edit function on one of your own post,,,,, and make a change,,, which I did,,, but there is or was no cursing involved,,,, LOL,,,

The other "Last edited by lakeside53 @ 1132 PM is a joke in my Signature line.....

It gets alot of people,,,,, consider yourself gotten !!!!!!!!

well here it goes..my father always said you wont learn anything if you don't ask questions, even if they are stupid ones....

so please don't be too harsh on me if i do deserve it.....

:(

sigh ....that's my story every bit of it....cept something i may have truely forgotten....:( :( :(

I still thank everyone for their help though......

Hey Brownpot,,,,,

I will be glad to help you diagnose your problem for you,,,,

Are you @ college station?????? I will be in Houston Tomorrow and through Wed Morning,,, It would be better if you can be there but if not I will be glad to fix your saw for you,,,,If could you get it to Houston or say Conroe / Tomball by Wed Morning I will bring my toolbox and we can have a shot @ it,,

What year model is yous saw... if it is 05/06 vintage there is some pretty cheesy fuel line on some of those saws,,,, ( I am not bashing Huskies cause I like them,,, but have changed out a bunch of fuel lines on those years???) models) it may be something as simple as that,,,,,, if we cant get it done on the road,,, Ill take it to the shop and get it back to you the following week,,,, the same way,,,,,,,

In my experience, an air leak will make it idle too fast.

Too fast when cold, and then not at all as they warm. That said,

Deaton, I think you've got a problem and Dan said it best. You may have trashed your cylinder there son. I hope that's not the case and it's something else but honestly, it's doubtful. I think you are right at the hairs edge with your porting gouge and as the saw warms and expands.....well you know the rest. If not, are you sure the gasket material you used on the base is not compromised?

honestly i am not sure that it isn't "compromised"

honestly im not sure it isn't "compromised", but it very likely could be...seems i have had luck with this stuff lately.....(diff cover leaked ...well actually that was a bolt head broke off)....so never mind....

still it could be i guess...

so if it's trashed,,...i buy a new one..oh well...too late then...butif so what would happen if i put a 357 jug and piston on it???i heard something about this but dont remember.....

Wow!!

:jawdrop: :clap: :clap:

You are amazing!!!!!!! i have never known anyone to do that! deffinently give rep, to bad i don't know how...please let me know..

i live in college station on the A & M campus...the only problem i have at the moment is an exam for one of my classes is thursday night, but since my class is book at same time, they usually move it to friday...I would be glad to meet you depending on when i wlill have afternoon off(cept for hw...lol)

ill have to check a map but i could deffinently drive to met you thats for sure...

model...i think it's older..like just a display that never got bought, but i kept it clean...stickers are still on it....

ill pm you...

Back