wood chip boiler

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Racerboy832

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I have several commercial customers who have very large versions of this. They are very efficient, and don't require the constant attention for standard wood boilers.

If I were to build again, and geothermal was not a viable option, I would definetly look very hard at this system.

I saw one in action at the fair last year.They look like real nice units. Around here you can get tons of wood chips for free. A lot of moving parts to brake tho.

Nice unit and great idea don't you think

I was just poking around on youtube and saw this:
Wood Chip Boiler Portage Main.mpg - YouTube

http://www.portageandmainboilers.com/pdf_brochures/ChipWebColorjn20.pdf

I have nothing to do with the company. I thought it is a novel idea since every treeman would love a place to dump chips. I could load them with a loader.

Anyone seen this in person? I wonder what it cost.
I have done more than see it, I showed it running at about 20 different shows last year from Maine to wisconsin down to Va and up to Bancroft Ontario. I burned everything from low grade roadside trimmings (chips) horse manure, corn cobs and the video you saw was of green- red and white oak bullwood, lets just say that I ran it through it's paces. we will be showing it again at Bangor logging expo on may 17th and 18th. However it is not yet EPA certified and we cannot sell yet but it is as we speak it is in the lab for EPA certification. we can only hope that they do not drag their feet as they have in the past. Richard@ PM

Can you ballpark the cost on it?. What is required for maintence? It's a great idea if it doesn't cloud out the neighborhood from regular tree worker mixed chips.

Chip burner

I'm not sure if I am allowed to quote a price but I will say that it is under 30,000 and will deliver up to 500,000 BTU. you do not need to be concerned about smoking the neighborhood out as it is a variable speed feed rate and the air is adjustable, you the homeowner/ small buisiness owner tunes the boiler to the fuel you choose to use and it then runs itself. keep in mind it is designed to heat from 8,000 to 15,000 square feet and if the load is larger than that then we can add more units and they can be fired independantly as the heat load is increased. Smoke and creosote (NOT HAPPENING) keep in touch and I will let you know where the next show will be, Bangor, Maine May 17th and 18th then I think Ohio not sure of the date. come see it you will be impressed at the cleanliness and simplicity. Richard @ PM

Bio-burner

Yes they are doing lots of shows and are on the right track, we have done at least two shows with them,Saratoga springs NY and Richmond Va last year. Did they ever get it tested with chips, last I heard it was tested with pellets only and they did have some minor issues in the feed systems with oversize chips. Watch this industry closely as you may see many new innovations from lots of companies as I think this is truly the fuel of the future for light industry and government buildings. Think about it! we pay taxes to have people clear the sides of the roads for power lines and they can't get rid of the chips, most of the time they simply blow them right back into the ditch, lets open our eyes to an available, clean, renewable energy source that currently is rotting in the ditch. Do yourself a favor when you are at one of these shows and see a new unit coming on to the market, take the time to really see it and ask questions about it, that is why we are at these shows,( to educate the public ) If you like what you see grab a flyer and take it to your town hall, Imagine instead of your fire barn burning 12-15,000 dollars in foriegn oil they could be burning 3,000 in wood chips grown and harvested locally or even better, product that would normally rot in the woods.

Yes I think this is the future of boilers... All you need is a chipper... No splitting, cording drying (at least not to the same level as cordwood.)

You don't even need a chipper around here all you need is a phone. Every tree guy in the area is looking for a place to dump chips. If there was a smaller version for a 2-3000 sq foot house they would sell like hotcakes.

Back