Wood Hauler Pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was thinking about getting something like this

it's only got 74k miles for less than 4k. I don't know much about trucks besides i'd like a 7.3l diesel but for less than 4k?

yes, the gas mpg is bad but, So is the insurance!

yes, the gas mpg is bad but, So is the insurance!

Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if it was reistered ag or forest products?? I know you can register the trucks differently, don't know about the insurance angle though.

I DO know that registering a motor home is way cheaper than a regular truck or van. Had a factoryhigh top camper van, then a plain metal sides work van at the same time. About one third the cost per year for the camper....

I think you could make a nice stealth wood hauler from a gutted RV, or using a cheap RV to haul a trailer. All they are is medium duty trucks with aluminum boxes on them. Yes, with gas V8s they do suck the gas, but just for a dozen trips a year or something to go get wood, can't be that bad. Ha! Lose the duallys and go supersingles, then you could take them off road better.

here is the link from ebay CHEVY BIG BLOCK 2 TON DUMP TRUCK WITH BACKHOE TRAILER. START YOUR EXCAVATING BIZ in Commercial Trucks | eBay Motors

Man, imagine loading that sweet thing up to the top! and the trailer as a topping :msp_w00t: even at 5 mpg I'd be saving gas and time. I usually drive 20 miles round trip with my suv to haul a little over a cord. It takes 60 bucks to fill up my tank and If all I do is haul wood I can get around 11-12 trips for an average of 13-15 cords per tank of gas, not counting tear and wear on the suv. With that truck i could probably get that or more in one trip.

P.S: My wife is gonna kill me

Just get my truck, F450/550 99-02 with 7.3L. You will be able to stack as high as you want in the bed, max out a trailer, and ride home with ease. Still getting way better than 5-6 mpg. And just register it as a private RV hauler :msp_wink: Forget all insurance companies but Amica, Farmers and a couple others.

Just get my truck, F450/550 99-02 with 7.3L. You will be able to stack as high as you want in the bed, max out a trailer, and ride home with ease. Still getting way better than 5-6 mpg. And just register it as a private RV hauler :msp_wink: Forget all insurance companies but Amica, Farmers and a couple others.
i am short of cash right now though. I can probably afford around $4-5k by the end of the year. I check the prices of f450s and they don't go cheap. I started selling firewood when I got my furnace and I sold 28 cords last year. I will probably sell more this year so that's why I am looking at options. Like many others have said, a new transmission on the path will run around 2-3k, that worries me lol. Wife won't let me trade it in either :msp_sleep:

i am short of cash right now though. I can probably afford around $4-5k by the end of the year. I check the prices of f450s and they don't go cheap. I started selling firewood when I got my furnace and I sold 28 cords last year. I will probably sell more this year so that's why I am looking at options. Like many others have said, a new transmission on the path will run around 2-3k, that worries me lol. Wife won't let me trade it in either :msp_sleep:

Look around, I got a 00 F450 Crew Cab with a F350 pickup bed on it. Diesel auto 200,000miles (just starting to get going on the motor) $6500. Just be patient and look around you can find some decent ones. This one was used by a welder.

I currently have an insert dump in it for work/wood haulin/home stuff but plan on a 9' custom aluminum bed with dump hoist and 5 wheel hidden hitch.

P.S. -- Wife pro tip: It can seat 6 comfortably.

Lose the duallys and go supersingles, then you could take them off road better.

Super singles are great UNTIL you have a flat. Then you call out the service truck. And be prepared to pay big time.

P.S. -- Wife pro tip: It can seat 6 comfortably.

Yea, but it still rides like a truck. My F350 rides like a tank until I get a ton or so loaded on the bed.

Super singles are great UNTIL you have a flat. Then you call out the service truck. And be prepared to pay big time.

Yea, but it still rides like a truck. My F350 rides like a tank until I get a ton or so loaded on the bed.

lol good way to spoil it! :msp_w00t:

That's why he'll swap out the bench seats for nice king ranch leather captain chairs.... :wink2:

You must be way down east somewhere in the flat lands. Those possum belly trailers don't go over real good around here in the hills. Always getting high centered and have to be pulled off of the hump in the road.

Well, No. I'm right up north at the start of the Blue Ridge. Can't remember the last time I high centered one that I couldn't get it freed up on my own. But that one won't ever get the chance to hang up on me again. It's gone to a new home. Found some guy that was all hot to go get rich in ND with it. So I helped him out.

I reckon' you have adequate brakes. The dotties will make sure of that. Nice rig. I wouldn't have access to anything capable of unloading it.

Thanks Mac. I have a 25K Clark that I use for riggin trailers out and worked good on the logs too. That was a one time thing on those logs. Needed to get them moved quicker than I could by blockin them up and haulin them in my small trailer and p/u. Since then I've bought a C-60 Chevy with an 18' bed. Works well for logs and firewood.

I try to day dream as much as possible :msp_sleep:

Hey, nothing wrong with that. I tend to do a lot of that myself, or maybe I'm just napping.:msp_rolleyes:

That's why he'll swap out the bench seats for nice king ranch leather captain chairs.... :wink2:

Speaking of dreaming, if OakBuster buys that Chevy, I've got a nice set of KW air-rides that would take some of the harshness out of the ride. THey're not as spiffy as the captains chairs, but they ride great in a medium or bigger sized truck.

was pointed to this thread and thought i would contribute

I'm lucky enough to have access to several dump trucks, trailers, tractors and a backhoe

008-1.jpg

004-4.jpg

019.jpg

006_zps72794b13.jpg

060.jpg

010.jpg

e4y5a7a5.jpg
8ape8uhu.jpg

Here is some shots of my wood gathering equiptment. I just got both of these this summer, life got alot easier. 1964 International Loadstar 1700, and a 1996 Bobcat 853.

That bobcat did that big log in the dump? I've never used one with a grapple or with wood, so just don't know.

Andy, this is what you need now to process all that wood. :msp_wink:
[video=youtube;bvpcxfErvLQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvpcxfErvLQ&feature=share&list=ULbvpcxfErvLQ[/video]

That bobcat did that big log in the dump? I've never used one with a grapple or with wood, so just don't know.

Yea, it lifted that big red oak log. I had to go slow and get right next to the truck then lift it up and over. I have been very impressed with the grapple I bought, very heavy duty.

Latest posts

Back