Wood Hauler Pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got the dumper used for 1500 and installed it myself. Very easy to do . I had and extra spring installed by a spring company for 450 . Everybody is surprised to see how much it will haul being only a 1/2 ton . I think the inserts are around 3000 new.

I suspect you may have more than a half ton on in those pics.......... :monkey:

:greenchainsaw:

I got the dumper used for 1500 and installed it myself. Very easy to do . I had and extra spring installed by a spring company for 450 . Everybody is surprised to see how much it will haul being only a 1/2 ton . I think the inserts are around 3000 new.

I had a measured 4000 lbs of sod and the weight of my dump insert on my 09 Chev 1 ton last week and drove 40 miles with it and it was no prob. I didn't dump it because it would have ruined the sod but the Truck Craft is rated at over 7000 dump capacity I think.

Surprised you did not have them put 2 springs in while they were at it. I am sure it would not have been much more. I have done that to half tonners before and it makes a huge difference.

The spring he put on is a lot thicker than the stock springs. He said if i ever take the dumper off its going to be all jacked up in the back . LOL !

Even if i could of added more i dont think the axles,rear would handle much more.

Scag 52,your really working that truck! 3 things you want to watch for on that truck when your overloaded that badly,and you are grossly overloading it...lol. The rims,youd be better off with steel wheels,your way beyond there ratings,the rear axle,the 10 bolt 8.5 axle is pretty weak,if it ever goes out consider looking for a 14 bolt 6 lug to replace it,they cane in 2500 trucks with 7200 gvwr and 1500 excabs with the F44 HD chassis package,that rear also has larger brakes,which help with stopping a lot...the last thing is the rear spring hangers,keep an eye on the mounts where the shackle brackets mount to the frame.I had a 1992 heavy 1/2 ton that i loaded like you do,(loaded V box salt spreader)it had a beefier rear axle,I put in 1 ton springs,so i wasnt afraid to load it,well the shackle mounts bent at the frame,and made a real mess....i should have done air bags or timbrens,it would have spread the load over the axle as well as the front and rear spring mounts,as you are now...
thank you for sharing ths pictures,most ppl wont beleive what a 1/2 ton chevy can do,no believed me til they seen mine....

Scag 52,your really working that truck! 3 things you want to watch for on that truck when your overloaded that badly,and you are grossly overloading it...lol. The rims,youd be better off with steel wheels,your way beyond there ratings,the rear axle,the 10 bolt 8.5 axle is pretty weak,if it ever goes out consider looking for a 14 bolt 6 lug to replace it,they cane in 2500 trucks with 7200 gvwr and 1500 excabs with the F44 HD chassis package,that rear also has larger brakes,which help with stopping a lot...the last thing is the rear spring hangers,keep an eye on the mounts where the shackle brackets mount to the frame.I had a 1992 heavy 1/2 ton that i loaded like you do,(loaded V box salt spreader)it had a beefier rear axle,I put in 1 ton springs,so i wasnt afraid to load it,well the shackle mounts bent at the frame,and made a real mess....i should have done air bags or timbrens,it would have spread the load over the axle as well as the front and rear spring mounts,as you are now...
thank you for sharing ths pictures,most ppl wont beleive what a 1/2 ton chevy can do,no believed me til they seen mine....

I drove a cab over camper loaded cross country on a 76 Dodge half ton in 1976 with 2 added springs and it did just fine. Worked for years with that truck.

If you can find a way to get a helper set involved then you don't have to worry about the oversprung unloaded aspect too.

I've had that dump on for eight years now with no problems. I bought the truck new in 92 . I blown 3 rears and one tranny Truck has 185,000 miles on it and has plowed snow since 1996. i use it for a small lawn business and haul a 18 ft trailer with it also. truck owes me absolutely nothing .

I've had that dump on for eight years now with no problems. I bought the truck new in 92 . I blown 3 rears and one tranny Truck has 185,000 miles on it and has plowed snow since 1996. i use it for a small lawn business and haul a 18 ft trailer with it also. truck owes me absolutely nothing .

what kind of insert is that....ez dumper?

The worst part about loading non floating rear axles with that kind of weight is that all of the weight rides directly on the axle shaft, makes it easy to bend them and if one breaks, the truck ends up on the ground. Full floating axles spread the weight out over the housing with no weight on the axle shaft.

It sounds like my old truck,never left me once...plowed 9 seasons commercially,5 with an 8'6" 900lb V plow that everyone said would "kill" the truck,and a v box spreader...truck is still fine....rust got it,its a parts truck now....

what kind of insert is that....ez dumper?

Yep ..... ez dumper . works great. worth every penny.

The salt from plowing has got the best of the frame . had to weld a piece of angle on the frame in the back so it doesn't snap in half. Not sure how much longer it will keep on going .

Running gear

About a year ago i bought an old running gear down the road. Striped all the old paint off and repainted it. Replaced the two back tires with two standard truck tires. Front tires are 8ply flotation tires. The center frame tube can extend to different lengths. Built strong horizontal and verticle pieces to hold logs. I always put the stump end of the logs over the flotation tires so there is more weight on them then the back two tires. I have used this hauler thus spring so far and not had one problem. Heaviest load to date was 12 green white oak logs measuring 12-36" dia and 10-30' long ;) I think I made it heavy duty enough! Try to get pictures up by next weekend! Also thinking about selling it if anyone is interested!

Put a 3.9l cummins in that chev, awesome truck!

I agree, I really don’t see how he has a full cord (3 ricks) of wood in the bed of the dodge.

This here is 1 full cord

DSC04479s.jpg

I agree that pics don’t truly show exactly how tight it is stacked but when you look at my pictures I think you can plainly see it is stacked much higher then yours… maybe you measure differently ?:D

Nice setup anyway, and GREAT price on the oil burner. Looking to upgrade my 25yr old chevy with a newer dodge next season.

DSC04366small.jpg

oh and i agree with you on the new trucks not taking the abuse our old ones can.
try doing this on a new Toyota tailgate

firwoodtailgate.jpg

the first picture is my complete set up, with my m105. the second is a picture of my truck. the third picture is my second truck with winch I just purchased.

I wouldn't really call this loaded, but here is a pic taken about fifteen minutes ago after coming out of the woods! My teenage son wasn't really in the mood to spend all day in the woods so we compromised with a small load!

1227091357.jpg

One day, your son will look back and wish he could be with you, and that old truck in the bush cutting wood again....

the first picture is my complete set up, with my m105. the second is a picture of my truck. the third picture is my second truck with winch I just purchased.

Awesome rig. I always wanted a M35a2, someday I will get one.

Back