Wood Hauler Pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
are either four wheel drive? comes in quite handy when needed. also is there a price difference?

i would search online (or where ever) and see if there is a difference in payload capacity.

inquire about service records. inspect frames, brake and fuel lines, beds, floor boards, etc.

good luck and let us know what ya pick.

btw, the chevy is the one i would go with, but i'm a chevy guy! LOL

here's another consideration. tire size. the chevy looks like it has the 19.5" wheels and the ford may have 16" or so. generally speaking smaller tires are less expensive.

but still, you should go with the chevy!

Rope, go for the Cummins swap, I could use the 400! :cry: Pretty sure my 390 block is cracked. Tired of messing with it, so just gonna try to find a runner to swap in there.

Honestly little possum I just seen your post but you would be better off finding a good 390 360, fe blocks rule. The thing about them is you must know how to set them up proper and pay close attention to details especially torquing the rocker assembly's as they are by the book or you will bend the shaft and it will never be right. If your block is broke find a good core and have it built by someone who understands FE blocks and you will have a screaming demon of a motor. They are persnickity but they are hard to beat done right I would recommend headers as the 360 390 manifolds suck but if you search the 390 is basically the same block as the bad boys of ford such as 428 scj or 427 hi riser and with a little junk yarding or a few grand in aluminum you can have a rocket motor :)

Need me some input.. I'm looking at getting a wood hauler/ work truck..

Right now I'm considering 2 - a 97' Chev and a 95 Ford. I don't know much about 1ton's..

Both have dumps, both are deisel. Chev has 280K km and the ford has 140,000

This coming from a Ford guy. I think the Chevy is a better wood hauler. Removable side boards are very handy for easier side loading. I think the Ford might be a better truck though. The 7.3 Powerstroke is said to be one of the best light truck diesels made. I haven't heard anything spectacular about the GM diesel from that time. If I were you, I'd keep looking for a 4x4 truck.

I would love to get a 4x4 but most of them are out of my price range, especially if it has a dump. They're asking $3500 for the chev and $5000 for the Ford. Personally I like the Chev but the Ford has 1/2 the milage.

There's is a newer 2001 Ford F450 for sale locally but it has abit more mileage and I think it was used to haul garbage. There's also a 85 Dodge for $2900 I'm sure that would be great in the winter..

i have a buddy that has 310,000 on his '94 chevy. just sayin'. if that dodge is 4x4 and dumps i'd be very inclined to get it. personally i would want a reliable V-8, standard shift, 4x4, lock out hubs, and dump with a telescopic cylinder.

Got to haul some wood this past weekend.

aa1b6641.jpg

8f7139ed.jpg

1985 f150 4x4 with the V8 removed and the 300 inline 6 installed

4speed new prosess transmission.
computer and stuff all cut out nothing but lights, temp, oil pressure, amp, speedo with a hot wire to the starter relay and points, simple as it gets.

This this will haul cord after cord after cord all day long
attachment.php

my old and my current hauler

figured I would put mine on this thread as well

this is what I used to haul wood with but I sold my camper that I towed with it so I couldn't justify keeping it around just to haul firewood (had 3 other vehicles including the Jeep) so we sold it last month

Photo0004.jpg

Photo0003.jpg

already had the trailer as well so decided to put the Jeep to work (it was mostly just a play toy so it needed to earn its keep)

Photo0190.jpg

Photo0168.jpg

Photo0166.jpg

I have the old truck box out of the Dodge that I am going to mount on the front of the trailer to haul the saws, then I can use the front rack for more wood :)
I usually have to go less than 2 miles from woods to house, so the Jeep works great

sweet cummins! is it a manual?

looks like you could use a hitch with a couple inches of drop on it

Sorry for the delay. Like Caincow said, ya it's a manual. Not the whimpy NV4500 5-spd though. She's got the NV5600 6-spd behind a 245-horse Cummins. But that's only until next year when she will get worked over a bit. Gunna stud the head and turn her up a bit. Try to get ~500 horses and ~1200ft-lbs of torque out of her to pull sleds with. We got sled pulls all over here.

Anywho, yea I need to get a drop hitch with atleast 4 inches of drop on it. I'd like to get one of the adjustable ones.

Here's another load I cut/hauled this weekend! The truck is parked going uphill so it looks like she's slammed in the back but she's really not.
cbcce5dc.jpg

Here is my small wood hauler in action.I love this Jacobsen...hydraulic dump,2800 lb payload ...just wish it was 4wd

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Back