Wood Hauler Pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have absolutely no use for something like that... but I will trade you everything I own and my first born child for it. That thing is just awesome. How big is the bed? Whats top speed on that bad boy?

:bowdown:
238085d1336890274-imag0447-jpg

She has two speeds with a hydrostatic transmission. You push the rocker button to the "rabbit" picture and she does about 7.5 mph...and the "turtle" symbol gives about half of that at 4.3 mph. Not too much on the speed side...but it will go up or down a 30 deg incline (with a load) and across just about any downed tree / mud hole with ease. The bed is roughly 7' by 8.5' and holds 5.0 cu yds. heaped. I plan to add side stake pockets and rails for wood. The bed cubes out before weight is a problem.

Just so you know...it almost cost me half of everything I own. The wife was not impressed when I hauled that thing up the driveway. :eek:ps:

I was sure I had, but…
Wow, I just looked this entire thread over (again) and I can’t believe I haven’t added my old wood hauler to it yet!

DO those weights on the rims really help with traction? I use an old Wheel Horse with chains at times in the woods and snow it gets to be a Pita. Curious if something like that would help out.

Nice rig ..

DO those weights on the rims really help with traction? I use an old Wheel Horse with chains at times in the woods and snow it gets to be a Pita. Curious if something like that would help out.

You bet they help with traction... Weight = Traction.
I didn't stop with just weights, I also filled the rear tires (tubes) with calcium chloride solution. Each one of those rears weighs around 150 pounds with the fluid, weights and chains.

She has two speeds with a hydrostatic transmission. You push the rocker button to the "rabbit" picture and she does about 7.5 mph...and the "turtle" symbol gives about half of that at 4.3 mph. Not too much on the speed side...but it will go up or down a 30 deg incline (with a load) and across just about any downed tree / mud hole with ease. The bed is roughly 7' by 8.5' and holds 5.0 cu yds. heaped. I plan to add side stake pockets and rails for wood. The bed cubes out before weight is a problem.

Just so you know...it almost cost me half of everything I own. The wife was not impressed when I hauled that thing up the driveway. :eek:ps:

man, I don't get it. that thing could pay for itself. Slick as all get out. Can't understand why your old lady didn't see that, but.....

My GF here, this is the first farm she has had anything to do with, never been around tractors and big trucks and equipment, etc. Didn't take her long though and now she appreciates it all, can see how having the right tool for the right job just works out for the better. She's even stepped in a time or three and ran a tractor or the smaller dump truck, etc. Something *neither* of her now grown sons has done...city boys...they think she's pretty cool now.

Example, we have wood heat "OK, we can go down the hill to the edge of that swamp and A wheelbarrow back the firewood, or B use the tractor...pick one". Once you really have to do a job and it isn't theoretical, you make the right decision.

Anyway, glad you got to keep it, even if you had to go through some grief, much cooler than the usual truck or quad.

Don't remember if I posted this or not. 1977 Ford F250. Wheelbase was extended to 150" & a one ton differential added. The engine is a stock 351/400, 4 speed granny low, .410 ratio, & 10 ply rubber.

Picture133.jpg

Very cool. Growing up, Dad had a 78 highboy. Went through a couple engines but dad kept it running till cancer got it. I used to think it was so cool when i was kid, that I could lift up the floor mat and see the road going by beneath us. lol. Dad sold it off just before I was old enough to drive and i'v been missing it ever since. There are a couple late seventies Fords on Craigslist right now and I'v been really tempted to bring one home. Just havn't found the right one yet i think.

They are a great old school vehicle but not cheap to operate. Mine got 9MPG up hill, down hill, or around the side the hill.:smile2:

I hear you on the not cheap to operate. I had 75 Hi Boy a long time ago that had a 360, auto, full time 4wd NP 203 transfer case that got just a shade over 5 mpg highway, city, off road, empty or with 10,000 lbs behind it. You didn't go far with that 19 gallon fuel tank. Oh yeah, just had a flash back, couldn't stop it either with a load on with drum brakes all the way around.

Here's some of the new wagon on it's maiden blowdown scavenging voyages.

IMG_0670640x480.jpg

wagon2.jpg

wagon.jpg

Did absolutely fantastic. Just floated along.

Once unloaded and swept out, you couldn't even tell anything was in the trailer. Awesome.

Here you go:

239527d1338042778-trip-home-aug-09-050-jpg

There was one of these listed in my local Craigslist a couple of weeks ago. It was in mint condition with no rust and low miles (50,000 I think) for about $6,000. I thought about it for a minute or ten but figured i could spend that money elswhere.

My F350 Wood Hauler

So finally I got a good load worth posting up on this thread. Bought the truck back in Sept, been doing a lot of work to get maintenance back up to par. Welded up a headache rack and some side rails to go with it, . Now after seeing Jere39's pic,, I'm thinking about adding a heavier bumper with a basket on the front of the truck to save room in the cab. I get my wood up in PA and haul it back to VA.

PicUpload.png

Back