Wood Hauler questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wish caterpillar would partner with someone to build a pickup. Dream on I guess...

Why? Cat's smaller engines (3126/3116/C7,C9) are an unreliable joke. If you want an on highway CAT motor these days, you'll have to get a Navistar with a Maxxforce motor, that's a Cat long block with Navistar's emissions system shotgun-married together because Cat gave up on the on highway market a few years ago.

The 6.6L Perkapillar engine might work in a light truck, but it ain't really a Cat. That's a good thing, Perkins knows a thing or two about smaller diesels, that's why Cat bought em.

(Edited to prevent complete derail of thread)

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice, all.

Yeah.. *sigh* I guess I should be $mart about this. Diesel is $4.10 here where 87 Octane is $3.31. That's a pretty pricey difference.

Maybe if I get a crew cab gasser & then down the road realize how much towing I'm doing, it would be reasonable to consider a diesel.

An aside, on the 1-ton Powerstroke for sale at a local dealer... for some reason, the price went up $1200 from yesterday to today... I think someone at the dealership realized that they had underpriced the thing and/or they did a little maintenance to it (maybe cleaned the EGR?) and decided it was worth a bit more.

Thanks for reminding me, Steve. I forgot about Diesel Injection Service. I thought they were solely a OTR trucking service place though.

I also looked into getting a 1965 Studebaker pickup which woulda been really cool - except I wouldn't have been able to haul the fam-damily around.

Someday I'll get a 'big boy' truck. :)

Last edited:
I have a 1995 F250 Ext. Cab w/ a 7.3L turbo diesel and 8600lb suspension opt. As with every thing there are pro's and con's. I see what many say about maint. and fuel cost, winter starting is more involved etc. But when I want or need to pull or tow any thing this truck is a beast it moves any thing I have hooked on to with little effort. I do not go out of my way to scratch it up in the woods, if it gets a bump or scrape I look at it as a battle scar well earned as a work truck.
Found this one on Craigs List a few years ago 6500.00 from a gal that was a second owner and pulled her little horse trailer around to horse camping and some shows 109,000mi. rusty in spots but, mechanically sound.
View attachment 267258

Hers is a clean older one w/a gas 460 in it not too far from us. On Madison CL

1994 F250 extended cab price reduced

:popcorn:

If a truck is 6 years old or newer, before going to dealer check with your bank for the loan value. That will tell how far out of line the asking price is.

If a truck is 6 years old or newer, before going to dealer check with your bank for the loan value. That will tell how far out of line the asking price is.

Another gage I use is "All Of Craigs List" type in year and model and search... it will bring up most all that are listed throughout the country and you can see the asking prices.
I also use this before posting something for sale.
A nice dump trailer is also an alternative to a vehicle that will have to be licensed...and maintained.
Just thinking outloud.

How about renegotiate with her. Tell her your going to stay on the road, buy a new truck, and a new Harley!

Interesting point - I'm planning going to go to a seller cash (checkbook) in hand and pay for it outright and not finance it. But it would be good research to know what a bank is willing to finance something for.

Oh! And if I REALLY wanted a diesel wood hauler, I could buy this... INTERNATIONAL DUMP TRUCK

You know, the "What's your CASH price?" tactic doesn't work anymore. Most dealers like you better if you use their credit supplier. They may give you a better cash price if they think you're good for some interest. You then take you cash and pay off the loan the next month. Now THAT they hate!

2003-04 Dodge with the Cummins 305hp/555tq diesel and the 6-speed manual is about the best combo out there in the last 10 years for reliability. The 305/555 has no EGR and no catalytic converter. That generation of Dodge truck is pretty solid overall as well.

Latest posts

Back