Wood ID Referance

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is very weird because I am splitting it by hand no splitter and it is quite often popping open on the second swing. The elm I am used to seeing would just bounce the maul right off and laugh at me an call me names.

I wouldn't let it get away with that!I would through its ass in the Chipper!

Unfortunately, I have no chipper... Therefore, I burn it!!! Does anyone know how large a Siberian Elm can get? Just curious... Around here, there are some enormous American Elms that have for the most part avoided any disease. They're the ones that grow alone in yards or fields and have become "house size"...
In the 50+ inch range... Will reds get that large?

*steps up to the plate*

Wild Cherry maybe ?

Could be!!! Here's the cherries it produces... They don't make good jelly or pie though...:msp_confused:
But rifle targets? Oh absolutely!!!:rock:

attachment.php

dem dos make good rifle targets. def. know when you hit one:hmm3grin2orange:

The now that I know "elm" I cut up was about 24" at the base, but that was just in some guys yard. couldn't pass up 3 cords of free firewood, all the brush was gone from the tree service, so all the good wood was left. easy pickin

Unfortunately, I have no chipper... Therefore, I burn it!!! Does anyone know how large a Siberian Elm can get? Just curious... Around here, there are some enormous American Elms that have for the most part avoided any disease. They're the ones that grow alone in yards or fields and have become "house size"...

Biggest Elm I ever cut was about 3-4 foot diam.I don't even know what type it was long time ago.

Biggest Elm I ever cut was about 3-4 foot diam.I don't even know what type it was long time ago.

This was a dandy I got last summer... At the time, this was the tree that inspired me to get the 9010 w/a 36" bar... The 24" went through, and all the way around and still couldn't get er to tip. Had to cut a hole out of the back and use a bottle jack...:msp_mad:

attachment.php

I'm clearcutting a couple lots that must have 50% siberian elm. They grow fast and are by far the largest trees on these lots. Some 36 inchers there while everything else is pretty much 18" max (ash, black cherry, hackberry, boxelder).

222610d1328730035-boot-jpg

heres and Ash that I had to noodle just to get it in the truck. I wear a size 13 just for reference. It was nice to have something to break the ms290 20" muffler mods cherry.

I'm clearcutting a couple lots that must have 50% siberian elm. They grow fast and are by far the largest trees on these lots. Some 36 inchers there while everything else is pretty much 18" max (ash, black cherry, hackberry, boxelder).

Are you sure they're Siberian Elm? If so, what did you use to determine it? Not sure how long Siberian Elm has been around? 36" is a pretty old tree... Ring count? :msp_confused:

222610d1328730035-boot-jpg

heres and Ash that I had to noodle just to get it in the truck. I wear a size 13 just for reference. It was nice to have something to break the ms290 20" muffler mods cherry.

That's a nice pice of ash...

Sorry, couldn't resist...
:msp_sneaky:

Sorry all for the lost photos but my ISP decided to take my free web hosting service away with out warning so all my pics are now gone.

What kind of Tree?

I got another one I need some help with. I can have the tree if I want it, it has some damage and is very near the road. If it is worthwhile I'll take it for the wood. Thanks again in advance for your help.
Regards,
S. John Mac

Latest posts

Back