Wood ID Referance

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When cured I think it burns a little hotter than oak, but doesn't last very long. I love it for kindling. Your right though, the main thing is it was free for the taking and you have some more wood. Win win.

Hotter than oak? -Bonus! I'm really lucky to have a pretty endless supply of oak and burn it 80% of the time with some cherry and walnut in the mix here and there. I'll turn some of it into kindling for next year and we'll see how it does, thanks so much for the advice after looking at numerous hackberry photos there's no mistaking it for anything else but for the life of me had no idea what it was without your help.

Thanks for the input Hedgerow, it's not an easy wood to split like an oak or cherry and a bit stringy but it's not near as bad as some elms I have done in the past.

Hey it was free for the bucking and hauling on the ground already so why not? I had never cut one before and really had no idea what it was, the bark is very unique and tough as nails.

When seasoned, it makes VERY good firewood... Burns hotter and a bit faster than Ash... I like the way it "gives you everything it's got"... And I guess I better like it, cause we cleared over 250 of em out of a fence row this year...:msp_scared:

256230d1349729334-logs3-jpg

These will be going into the barn after processing due to the fact Hackberry doesn't weather in the elements as well as Hedge or Oak...

I've been cutting off of dozer piles for the last few years and I've become pretty good about calling what I'm cutting. But I found this stuff on the back side of a pile ( lots of it too ) and I have no clue to what it is. It is hell on chain, yellow tinted but not as dark as hedge or mulberry, and I've pulled a few that were 20 ft long or more with few limbs and no bigger than 18" at the thick end. My first guess was Mulberry but the more I thought about the length vs the dia I started doubting myself. Most of this wood has been down for 3 or more years and this wood still has good bark on it even tho some of the hedge is losing its bark. The wood as I said is yellowish, the bark even has a yellow/orange tint to it much like hedge. It is very dense as well.
Here is a picture of the bark
photobucket-27531-1351987780367.jpg

here it is with hedge, middle chunk
photobucket-3109-1351987659460.jpg

And here it is in comparison to hedge by color
photobucket-3991-1351987893549.jpg

Anyone want to take a guess? Oh by the way I'm in Missouri north of Kc if this helps

Lugnutz, Score!!!! What you have there is "Osage Orange" or sometimes referred to as "Horse Apple" based on the fruit the tree bears. The fruits are green balls near baseball sized, round, rough textured, an non edible. But enough about the fruit. You have found the absolute best fire wood one can burn. Equally dense with Hickory but burns @ 32.9 million BTUs per cord as opposed to hickory @ 27.7 Million BTU's p/c and Black Locust @ 27.9 mill. More dense than any oak as well. I cut this wood in my area as well. Its rare and its heck on the saw chain but well worth it! Use this wood on the coldest of nights! Heat output is amazing with excellent coaling properties for overnight banking. Covet this wood! Its the best stuff you can get hands down ;) Nice find!

Could be. I'm not real familiar with black locust, most around here are the thorny or honey with the great big thorns on them. Thanks for the help. The only other clue I forgot to give you all is it splits like hedge, stringy like.

Sounds like I made a good find.

The wood in question is undoubtedly black locust. Great stuff. Grows everywhere here. Just reference my profile pic for a peak of my locust stash :hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited:
Any ideas on this wood?

View attachment 263209

Just trying to figure out can anyone eyball this stuff and tell...a friend of mine came home with some crazy looking wood that had sparks flying everywhere as he was sawing & flailing away with his Friskars!:laugh:

He also said they are trying like hell to push off on folks who take the "free wood", about a half a cord of "devils walking stick" to boot!:msp_thumbdn:

Just needing some feedback.

View attachment 263209

Just trying to figure out can anyone eyball this stuff and tell...a friend of mine came home with some crazy looking wood that had sparks flying everywhere as he was sawing & flailing away with his Friskars!:laugh:

He also said they are trying like hell to push off on folks who take the "free wood", about a half a cord of "devils walking stick" to boot!:msp_thumbdn:

Just needing some feedback.

From what i can tell, the big stuff looks like American beech. I see a long piece of what looks like red oak. It burns and its free ;) Get it!

I've been cutting off of dozer piles for the last few years and I've become pretty good about calling what I'm cutting. But I found this stuff on the back side of a pile ( lots of it too ) and I have no clue to what it is. It is hell on chain, yellow tinted but not as dark as hedge or mulberry, and I've pulled a few that were 20 ft long or more with few limbs and no bigger than 18" at the thick end. My first guess was Mulberry but the more I thought about the length vs the dia I started doubting myself. Most of this wood has been down for 3 or more years and this wood still has good bark on it even tho some of the hedge is losing its bark. The wood as I said is yellowish, the bark even has a yellow/orange tint to it much like hedge. It is very dense as well.
Here is a picture of the bark
photobucket-27531-1351987780367.jpg

here it is with hedge, middle chunk
photobucket-3109-1351987659460.jpg

And here it is in comparison to hedge by color
photobucket-3991-1351987893549.jpg

Anyone want to take a guess? Oh by the way I'm in Missouri north of Kc if this helps

Looks like Black Locust to me

I got a bunch of that very same wood, its Locust because it basically is hard as heck to get that stuff to light off, it'll smolder all day but flame is tricky at best.

I got a bunch of that very same wood, its Locust because it basically is hard as heck to get that stuff to light off, it'll smolder all day but flame is tricky at best.

If you cant get locust to flame it must be far too wet... I get a great flame from it

If you cant get locust to flame it must be far too wet... I get a great flame from it
It doesn't feel wet, and I know its seasoned because its the first wood I started splitting last December, Could it be wet inside from rain, or do I need to stagger it when I put it in the stove instead of laying it parrell to each other?

It doesn't feel wet, and I know its seasoned because its the first wood I started splitting last December, Could it be wet inside from rain, or do I need to stagger it when I put it in the stove instead of laying it parrell to each other?

Black locust should take a hot fire to ignite. I know hedge is slow to ignite, and it shares similar traits...
High BTU wood needs to be very dry to ignite... It's very dense...

That's good to know, cause most of it is still under the tarp and I'm saving teh heaviest wood for the colder months that are coming

The Debate Is ON: The owner says the bigger wood is Hickory & small wood Walnut?

Sending pics....just trying to help an old lady who called us out to drop a small Oak...which turned out to be about 70 ft and 3ft dia...1 feller with degenerative hips & me a novice so...NOT!:msp_thumbdn:

Yet, we did clear out a dead fall and got a few rounds for fun and giggles...ANY Idea's & Help ON THE IDENTITY...the larger wood some of its limbs had a small oblong seedling fruit attached all dried up of course?:msp_confused:

View attachment 264865View attachment 264866View attachment 264867View attachment 264868View attachment 264869

Baby Shagbark or What? HELP!!

A friend asked me to clear this tree & 2 Hackberry's off his place.
He swears up and down they are "Baby Shagbark Hickory's", yet they don't resemble any that I've ever seen. :rolleyes2:
He insist that they be removed ASAP & that he burned some yrs ago that almost made him strip, cause it burnt so hot...coulda been the "Evans Williams" he is always guzzling!:wink2:

Any help on identifying or suggestions would be greatly appreciated...just not real interested in dropping a 30ft mystery tree!:msp_thumbdn:

Thanks Again,

Reg

View attachment 265319

View attachment 265320

A friend asked me to clear this tree & 2 Hackberry's off his place.
He swears up and down they are "Baby Shagbark Hickory's", yet they don't resemble any that I've ever seen. :rolleyes2:
He insist that they be removed ASAP & that he burned some yrs ago that almost made him strip, cause it burnt so hot...coulda been the "Evans Williams" he is always guzzling!:wink2:

Any help on identifying or suggestions would be greatly appreciated...just not real interested in dropping a 30ft mystery tree!:msp_thumbdn:

Thanks Again,

Reg

View attachment 265319

View attachment 265320

Bottom tree is Hackberry... For sure...
Top looks like Pine... Or a mystery...

Latest posts

Back