Wood ID ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeremy102579

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Picked up a small amount of wood last week. I was told it was some kind of maple.

I split some and it was a Pain to split, very stringy. This piece was not the stringiest.

Any guesses ?

Thanks

Almost sure it's Rock elm.
Nothing else has passing lane markers on the end of the bark and a darkish core together.
Rock elm 30.4 mbtu
Not 100% sure though since the pictures are not real clear and hickory has the same colors without the cream passing lane markers in the wood.
Hickory 27 mbtu.

Have fun splitting that green with a maul.
Wait for it to get some cracks in the rounds and the bark to lift then it's not to bad to split and becomes better wood than split green.

I'm going with hickory. The woods look similar but the bark looks nothing like any elm I've ever seen.

Hedgerow,

I wish we had one clear picture of the bark and the id would be simple.
Think we are all seeing what we are familiar with because the bark pictures are to fuzzy to really see well. :)

Hedgerow,

I wish we had one clear picture of the bark and the id would be simple.
Think we are all seeing what we are familiar with because the bark pictures are to fuzzy to really see well. :)

I could smell the pictures from here....
My monitor has smell-o-vision...
:bad_smelly:

Hedgerow,

Ahh you and your tech crud, always one smell ahead of everyone else. LOL
I'm old school I lick the bark and if the taste is just so it's a positive id :)

Latest posts

Back