Wood ID

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This was in some free scrounge I got and was cut south of my home range so I've never seen it before. Smells similar to the mockernut hickory I cut out east but totally different bark. I'm just referring to the piece on top, the others are identified.

image.jpg image.jpg

Definitely not either of those.
4ce7.jpg

Black locust with a cherry on top, oops on bottom.

Northern black locust and southern are very different looking wood.
Your picture looks identical to black locust in my firewood stacks.

Not much in the way of bugs bothers it in stacks in the north so it is happy to stay that way drying for 20 or more years and have seen 50 year old fence posts burn like it did after year 2.
Once in a while an outbreak of yellow dry rot mold will start up on a black locust stack and that is the time to burn it before it looks like yellow snow.

IMO rates right up with the best of the best firewood.

Oh man... it's always hard to ID from just a couple pictures.
Have you split any of it?? Is it stringy?? Smell musty??
'Cause I gotta' tell ya'... that bark, dark center, looks wet... I'm seein' Siberian Elm.
I'll try splitting it.

It smells "salty". Like I said it smells similar to the mockernut hickory that I've cut out east. But the bark is way different.

Got a thread started over in Chainsaws if I could get you folks opinions on a saw. Y'all know a heap more than I do about 'em. I'd appreciate the input/advice. Thx.

Back