Wood ID!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

e-d0uble

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Greetings all!
My town recently began felling trees along my road for (I believe) widening purposes. Lucky me, I've scored a large quantity of wood due to this activity. I'm curious as to the species of the last two trees I've bucked and brought home. Tree "1" has thin reddish brown heartwood and gray "chunky" bark. Tree "2" has finer, more colorful bark and large diameter reddish brown heartwood which was redder before it got rained on and I split it. My friend seems to believe tree "1" is some variety of maple, and tree "2" is most likely box elder. Thoughts?

#2 is definitely elm, as said by others. #1 it would be nice to see a wider angle shot of the bark. I am an amatuer ID'er but the grain looks like about 3 or 4 different possibilities. If you have or can take a wider angle shot it would help the pros on here a lot.

The elm is good stuff, as long as you have a splitter and don't have to do it by hand.

Here are some more pictures of #1's bark (the already identified elm is in the photos for contrast). Judging from other photos I've seen, by the grain, and by the thin darker heartwood does sugar maple (as coog suggested) seem feasible? Thanks again.

Tree #1

looking at the bark in both the close up and not so close up shot of tree #1 it looks like ash. not sure what kind of ash but if you look there is the distinct diamond pattern in the bark. in the heartwood shot of #1 there is also the center pin hole that runs the length of the wood which i think is also another characteristic of ash.
just my guess but i've been cutting & splitting mostly ash this winter from a job that the county did in a county park and am still splitting up the last of it.

Thanks. Interesting...
I'm absolutely no expert at identifying wood, but I've had ash logs several times before (I think they were white ash: they had very very straight grain, resembled baseball bats, had very regular diamond-shaped bark patterns and split in a jiffy.)... and they've never had any colored heartwood, even a thin pinhole.

Back