Wood Pole Building - How to?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To concrete or not to concrete...

The pole barn book I found said to add a "collar" or "necklace" of concrete at about the 2' level of a 4' hole. Depending on the soil, a "punch pad" is used at the bottom of the hole to set the pole on.

Thanks!

Punch Pad

No, it appears to be a flat rock or concrete in the bottom of the hole to set the post on. In some soils with a heavy building, the poles will have a tendancy to sink some.

Is this what you mean?

punchpad.gif

Do not set the pole in cement, even though that's the way it "use to be" done... It's been proven that water will get between the pole and the cement and cause early rot... The cement holds the water just like a bucket would.

You dig the hole, (code here is 48" deep) set a flat cement pad in the bottom of the hole for the pole to sit on. (make them with your sackcrete instead of buying post pads) Then set the pole and back fill it tamping it into place. You want the water to beable to get away from the pole, so the pole will last the longest it can.

BTW, i cut the bottom 3" off a plastic pail, and use it for a "form" to make post pads. Every time i have left over cement on a job, i make post pads out of it.

Rob

Last edited:
Thanks again for all your help guys, I appreciate it alot!
Sorry if I am repeating myself or not catching something you are trying to explain. I want to make sure I understand fully so I can do this correctly the first time around.

Take a look at my diagram below, does everything look correct?

polebuilding.gif

If you pour a concrete column it needs to be smooth sided for its full 40 inches. Sonotubes are cardboard forms made for this purpose. Homeo Depot or a better building supply store should be able to get them. They shouldn't be that expensive. If you could find used 15 gallon drums [plastic] that would work. Industrial cleaning fluids come in them. Try cleaning service, they might give them to you. 5 gallon pails you would need about 3 in a row. Sounds more of a PIA than it would be worth.

If you pour a concrete column it needs to be smooth sided for its full 40 inches. Sonotubes are cardboard forms made for this purpose. Homeo Depot or a better building supply store should be able to get them. They shouldn't be that expensive. If you could find used 15 gallon drums [plastic] that would work. Industrial cleaning fluids come in them. Try cleaning service, they might give them to you. 5 gallon pails you would need about 3 in a row. Sounds more of a PIA than it would be worth.

Thanks I appreciate that. I will definitely contact some local cleaning services. Great idea.

Tamping around the poles instead of using cement

Putting some old elec. company poles into the ground, we dug 4' holes but kept them as narrow as possible. About 4" gap left between the pole and the edges of the hole.
Pole goes in, temporary support sticks screwed to them to keep'em level.
Some dirt & small rocks is then put back in and tamped good with a 2X4 beam or anything heavy enough to compact the dirt. Repeat untill filled.
Primitive, takes some time, works very well.
Not for the impatient.

There was a wrong placing of one pole, had a tough time taking it out of the ground with a front loader tractor.

Just another idea.
Good luck

Tar

I set treated 4x4s in hole 4ft deep with broken pices of concrete blocks in bottom to stop settling. coated end of 4x4 with liquid tar to 6" above ground. did this 30yrs ago, post still as good as new.

Last summer I received 20 or 30 electric poles that were 24 to 28 inches dia. on the big end and 40 to 60 foot long. They were western red cedar. The oldest one was put in the ground in 1943, the poles were tagged on the bottom with a date and length and type of wood. From the ground level to the bottom of the pole it was rapped with tared felt like you use on roofs. When I took it off the pole to saw it the pole under the felt looked like it was cut yesterday, no cracks or rot. These poles make very good lumber as they don't looked to have been treated. On the picture on the building you should put bracing from each pole up to give it more strength in the wind. that is a Nice looking building. On the posts in Mich you cannot have cement around the pole but the pole must be sitting on cement. You can just throw a bag in the hole before you set the post. I went thru this last summer when I built mine. I sawed all the material except the trusses for a 40 x60 barn.

Well, I called the local contact for our electrical company twice and left voice mails. Haven't heard anything back yet and I doubt I ever will until I catch the guy answering his phone.

I won't give up though.

Back