Wood question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aarolar

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am getting a chainsaw mill for Christmas to allow me to cut my own blanks for turning, making knife scales ect and am curious what causes the different type of figures in wood. Burls are simple but what about curly, birdseye ect is there anything to look for when looking for figured wood?

I am getting a chainsaw mill for Christmas to allow me to cut my own blanks for turning, making knife scales ect and am curious what causes the different type of figures in wood. Burls are simple but what about curly, birdseye ect is there anything to look for when looking for figured wood?

Quarter sawing renders highly figured grain but is more work and renders less lumber. Google "quarter sawing diagram" to see examples of how to quarter saw.

Bark that has ripple ,the base of a big maple is common place to see it, then you can spot it easier when you know what to look for. Youll neaver look at trees the same .

Back