Wood that wont burn?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

komatsuvarna

Arboristsite MVP
Reaction score
Ive seen alot of questions, and ive asked a few to about burning different types of wood. Most ever body knows that oak, hickory, and osage orange is among the top most wanted. So i was wondering if there is any kind of wood that wont burn, or isn't worth the time to cut and split to burn.:cheers:

Ive seen alot of questions, and ive asked a few to about burning different types of wood. Most ever body knows that oak, hickory, and osage orange is among the top most wanted. So i was wondering if there is any kind of wood that wont burn, or isn't worth the time to cut and split to burn.:cheers:

Any wood will burn. If you can get coal to light from a wood fire, you can get wood to light from a wood fire. ;)

Any wood will burn. If you can get coal to light from a wood fire, you can get wood to light from a wood fire. ;)

Thats kinda what i was thinking. Ive been told by a few people that certain wood wont burn, but i figured that if you let it dry out about any wood will burn. Them people probably wait till winter to start cutting and wonder why green sweet gum wont burn good.:dizzy: Ive spent most of my life on a track hoe or dozer and ive figured out that any wood will burn green or not, expecially if you got enough diesel.lol But i know this isnt the case with a wood stove.:cheers:

As has been said, wood is wood, and it all burns, but there are differing elements to getting the most bang for your buck. I hate having to clean out my stove, so I go for woods that leave little ash. Sycamore seems to leave more ash than there was wood to begin with. Also it's hard to split and doesn't give off much heat, so I'll never burn it again. Other softwoods don't seem worth the trouble either, but for some of us, it's better than nothing. For those of us who have access to good wood, we can afford to be picky. Check out the sticky thread at the top of the page under "The Ultimate BTU Reference." That'll be of some help, but there are other factors in making a wood desirable than just BTU's. How well does it split, how much spark and pop does it give off, how much smoke, and how much ash left over.

As has been said, wood is wood, and it all burns, but there are differing elements to getting the most bang for your buck. I hate having to clean out my stove, so I go for woods that leave little ash. Sycamore seems to leave more ash than there was wood to begin with. Also it's hard to split and doesn't give off much heat, so I'll never burn it again. Other softwoods don't seem worth the trouble either, but for some of us, it's better than nothing. For those of us who have access to good wood, we can afford to be picky. Check out the sticky thread at the top of the page under "The Ultimate BTU Reference." That'll be of some help, but there are other factors in making a wood desirable than just BTU's. How well does it split, how much spark and pop does it give off, how much smoke, and how much ash left over.

For a man with a grandiose mustache, glasses and a silly wink (looks like a guy who loves his Scotch), you make a lot of sense. :D :D

I'm a fan of the club named: Love What You Burn, But Try to Pursue the Best Love. ;)

komatsuvarna said:
Ive been told by a few people that certain wood wont burn, but i figured that if you let it dry out about any wood will burn.

You got it. Some wood actually is best burned wet. I know a coupla guys with OWBs who have new and energy efficient 2,000-square-foot homes who lay in 4 cords of fresh-cut aspen each fall. They have no alternative heating source, and they chuck in that wet aspen and get a fairly long even burn. Stoke er in the mornin and stoke er in the evening, and it's all good. Wish I could say the same with aspen for my basement wood furnace. :(

Last edited:
Native to the CNY area in this house we'll burn anything that's seasoned.

For years I've harvested rotten, punky dead trunks we couldn't drive over just to make an areas passable and improve drainage.

That wood I used for campfires cause my daughter has them all the time and I cringed at her using my prime wood.

Anyway no matter how crappy/punky it is, once its split and dried it it burns good.

Of course if your scrounging you want to go for prime wood but for those that live by the woods it's worth considering.

That crud wood makes a wicked excellent shoulder season wood...no bugs. Also it's an easy take and you're cleaning up an area at the same time.

EDIT to add...the best thing about this processing this dead punky crap wood is that its seasoned good to burn in less than a month and will improve after that.

My only complaint is that we have stack this junk wood, our prime wood is piled as its split.

Another thing...you might want to wear rubber gloves handling wet rotten wood or you could get mites under your skin between your fingers. LOL...

...that usually turns folks off but it hasn't stopped me from going after this niche wood. btw I'm deadly serious about those mites so use rubber gloves.

Last edited:
I used to be a bit of a wood snob, but then realized that nearly any wood has its use and will burn when dry. I'm burning junk wood now because I want to preserve my better BTU wood for winter. Also, I can have a low fire burning without opening a window because of the low BTU value. A lot of crappy wood lights fast and burns fast, which is perfect for taking the chill off.

All wood burns, you just have to figure out when to burn it for the best effect.

ipe,aka brazilian walnut. i believe it has the same fire rating as concrete.

I've wondered - at least theoretically - about some of the tropical stuff like ebony, teak, etc.

As far as what around in the lower 48, this is about the only kind of wood I know of that won't...though it certainly would have long ago...

petrifiedwood380.jpg

I've wondered - at least theoretically - about some of the tropical stuff like ebony, teak, etc.

As far as what around in the lower 48, this is about the only kind of wood I know of that won't...though it certainly would have long ago...

petrifiedwood380.jpg

I would be "petrified" to sink my maul into that round. :)

Kyle

Yah, basswood is just something better off leaving for the woodpeckers. I don't burn willow but have some for fall. I will burn pine, spruce and popple though. I have a tree cutting place where I can drive in and take what they don't want. If I don't have to split or cut it so if it's already in my hands half the work is done, so I keep it.

I used to be a bit of a wood snob, but then realized that nearly any wood has its use and will burn when dry. I'm burning junk wood now because I want to preserve my better BTU wood for winter. Also, I can have a low fire burning without opening a window because of the low BTU value. A lot of crappy wood lights fast and burns fast, which is perfect for taking the chill off.

All wood burns, you just have to figure out when to burn it for the best effect.

Right on!

Green wood will not burn. That means wood that is cut green and sitting on 40% moisture content or more. Even the fastest drying species need time to dry before you can burn them successfully. Water is a lousy fuel and renders useless both matches and boy scout fluid.

I used to laugh at cottonwood. Forget that nonsense. Yes, it burns fast, but it has its place in your arsenal and will light the slow-burning woods perfectly.

Latest posts

Back