Wood trailer brakes !!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't see any 3 point hitch on that fine John Deere so I assume you are pulling with the drawbar. If it had a lift, you could experiment with a skid (or a plow) on the front of the trailer and lower it to the ground to provide drag as needed. You could also search your area for the tongue off an M101 military trailer. It will have the surge brake set up together with a pintle ring. Although it maybe cheaper to buy a whole trailer rather than to start buying axles, etc.
attachment.php
View attachment 256279 Ron

You guys were right no hydraulics but no brake shoes or linkage either !! I took some pics that I will try to list another day when I'm up to it !!

No 3 pt on this old girl just a drawbar .

Here is a better pic with the trailer and you can see the little chrome hubcaps , the rusty linkage is for the snowplow , I need to get some paint on that !!! Tractor weight is 1500 pds probably without wheel weights that I have . Don't have any idea how heavy the trailer is when loaded but it seems a little hairy coming down those hills!!!

Last edited:
Beautiful set up! If your getting that tractor squirelly with wheel weights , chains and you on the tractor you must have one helluva load of wood on the trailer. :msp_biggrin:

I think I would load the rear tires of the tractor and try to over come the weight of the trailer. Thats probably the easiest.
Then next would be to change out axle to one with juice brakes .
Last would probably be weld a stub axle on and a tire wheel assy that has juice brake and have it roll against exisiting tire and apply brake when needed thus making he small tire slow the large tire.

I do have alot of tongue weight as the trailer axle is back at least 2/3 's of the way , I hate to drag anything in the woods and tear it up , its not my property and I want to leave it looking Like I was never there .Wonder if loading the tires would help . Thanks for all the ideas , keep them coming.Its looking like Flintstone brakes might be the answer .

Its looking like Flintstone brakes might be the answer .

I think your earlier idea of a lever to apply pressure tot he wheels is a decent idea. Like I said horse wagons did and still do use them. There is one on the road by my dad's place that has regular car tires and the brake works fine I believe.

dw

Oh, and your pic...

256282d1349738568-john-l-jpg

Thanks Harry I have always been fond of this little tractor heck I grew up on it , I'd ride on the driveshaft cover with my grand father as he did his plowing and discing , my dad was only 15 when his dad bought it . My dad did garden plowing for the neighbors and then my brother and I got on it and plowed driveways back in the early 70's when we got alot of snow , I'd be plowing one and the next neighbor would want his done and I'd be busy all day plowing , so we had three generations using this tractor really hard and after 50 years the crank is still within specs. !! Parts might be tuff to find now ,like I said main bearings weren't available when I did this one unless there was a need with all the restorations going on these days I have a pretty good JD dealer near me if you ever need parts .Sorry for all the rambling ;)

I could not find a picture, but back in the day when taking wagons downhill with the horses, we had a contraption that we used to hold back the wagons. All it was was a plate of steel, about 10 inches wide, and about 1 Foot long. the sides have 1/2 inch plate steel welded perpendicular facing up. The front edge of the base plate was bent up just bit. A lightweight chain was welded to the front as well.

When approaching the hill, the driver would hop off, and drop the plate in front of one of the back wheels, the wagon wheel would roll up onto the "Brake", and the chain would pull tight. You were now dragging this wheel on top of the "Brake", so it is sliding down the hill, instead of rolling. When you get to the Bottom, Stop, Back up a foot or so, pick up the Brake, and away you go....

It would be a pain for sure, but Cheap, Simple, and effective....

Pretty clever idea , the old timers could always come up with ideas that didn't cost alot of cash probably more out of necessity , they just didn't have the extra money laying around . I kind of want something I could use from the tractor seat easily . If its not easy to get at I might not take the time to get off the seat and set the brake !!

Back