WoodlandPRO 20RC vs Stihl 23RS chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rustyb

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
The price, for a 16" chain, is $13.19 for the WoodlandPRO compared to $24.65 for the Stihl 23RS...at Baileys.

Is the Stihl chain worth that much more for the non-professional who is watching his pennies?

Will my Husqvarna roller guide sharpener, modified slightly to fit on my Stihl 23RS, fit on the WoodlandPRO? If not, it would cost me less to just buy the Stihl chain rather than the WoodlandPRO and another Husqvarna file guide to fit it.

Woodland pro is carlton chain. Made in USA!. I use it exclusively and sell it exclusively. It is awesome chain . stihl is way too proud of their stuff. And noone here that I deal with in southern indiana can afford stihl.. Once they cut with WP chain and see how awesone it is, they never go back to Stihl. When you sharpen WP you will see how good it is and the hardness that it is made with. Hope that helps.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Carlton is dam good stuff, I get mine through Ahlborn. I've also been using Archer chain which has been really good for the money, it's on eBay. Stihl chain is cost way too much for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, guys. Does anyone know if the Husqvarna roller guide (modified to fit my existing RS23 chain) will work with the WoodsmanPRO?

Thanks, guys. Does anyone know if the Husqvarna roller guide (modified to fit my existing RS23 chain) will work with the WoodsmanPRO?

I do not understand what you are referring to. What do you mean that its been modified to fit RS23 chain? Please give more details of what kind of saw you have and what kind of bar you have... I am lost... :/

are you running .325 chain? .063? please advise.

Woodland pro is carlton chain. Made in USA!. I use it exclusively and sell it exclusively. It is awesome chain . stihl is way too proud of their stuff. And noone here that I deal with in southern indiana can afford stihl.. Once they cut with WP chain and see how awesone it is, they never go back to Stihl. When you sharpen WP you will see how good it is and the hardness that it is made with. Hope that helps.

I strongly disagree with your opinion of that chain, especially the .325 stuff. Maybe they send you better chain to southern Indiana then they do to me in northern Indiana.

It can be made to be decent but out of the box it sucks. Crude chain to begin with and quality control must be a after thought. I have found the .325 to be the worst of all.

I bought a roll of that stuff once and about 8-10 ft of it had cutters that were flat, not even sharpened. I also come across cutters that have been hardened and a file won't touch em, maybe 5-6 of them on a 72DL chain. I have to take the damn thing to the grinder and cut through the case hardening just to file them.

Just done one like that again the other day, PITA and then find raker's were all over the place not even at all.

Like I said, if you want to take a brand new chain off the roll or out of the box and have to sharpen it and set the rakers to make it decent, then by all means have at it. Not me. No matter what you do to that .325 Carlton it still won't cut with Oregon 20LPX.

I do find the Carlton semi chisel to be much better but still not up to par with Oregon or Stihl.

If the filing guide fits to the end of the slot & doesn't rock around it will be OK if it moves around you will need a replacement

I do not understand what you are referring to. What do you mean that its been modified to fit RS23 chain? Please give more details of what kind of saw you have and what kind of bar you have... I am lost... :/

I presume what the OP is referring to is the same as I found with Husky guide & Stihl PS/PS3 Lo Pro chain, the side plates on the Stihl chain must be thicker than Blount products as the guide would not fit right down to the end of the slots a couple of swipes on the slot sides with a thin flat file fixed that. In it's before mod state the file would have been to high on the cutters

You have convinced me to try it next time I need chain!!!

You are going to save yourself a ton of money and thumb your nose at stihl ;)

I'm running Stihl RS23....050 (I believe) on the NE MS261, 16" Stihl bar. I purchased a Husqvarna roller guide to sharpen it but the guide was too narrow to fit over the Stihl chain (the Husqvarna chain is more narrow than the Stihl)...so I had to modify said guide to fit.

That Husqvarna roller guide is the best $14 I've spent! I had lackluster results with every other sharpening method. This guide makes me feel like a pro....though of course, I'm still just a hack.

Oh. Your talking about that sharpening guide. Fear not.. You will be ok...

I strongly disagree with your opinion of that chain, especially the .325 stuff. Maybe they send you better chain to southern Indiana then they do to me in northern Indiana.

It can be made to be decent but out of the box it sucks. Crude chain to begin with and quality control must be a after thought. I have found the .325 to be the worst of all.

I bought a roll of that stuff once and about 8-10 ft of it had cutters that were flat, not even sharpened. I also come across cutters that have been hardened and a file won't touch em, maybe 5-6 of them on a 72DL chain. I have to take the damn thing to the grinder and cut through the case hardening just to file them.

Just done one like that again the other day, PITA and then find raker's were all over the place not even at all.

Like I said, if you want to take a brand new chain off the roll or out of the box and have to sharpen it and set the rakers to make it decent, then by all means have at it. Not me. No matter what you do to that .325 Carlton it still won't cut with Oregon 20LPX.

I do find the Carlton semi chisel to be much better but still not up to par with Oregon or Stihl.

I assure you I've received quality woodland pro 3/8 .050 chain here in northern IN. Full chisel 72 drive link loops- a buddy and myself have about burned through our first batch of 10. Definitely can't beat the price, and I think it's about 95% as good as Stihl.

I've never seen such a thing with carlton chain as posted above....

I'm sure if you have low expectations of your chain and only looking at the bottom dollar, or don't know any better then you will be quite happy with your Carlton chain.

I can assure you what I have said has happened, and I'm pretty sure I posted pictures of the unsharpened cutters on that roll on this site when it happened.

Like I said, if you want to have to take the time to make the chain good, then by all means carry on.

Personally I don't have time to overhaul a brand new out of the box chain and refuse to have to do it. I can buy great Oregon chain most times for very, very little more money and its ready to cut out of the box or off the roll and it is better all around performing chain.

You guys can have your opinion of this and I can have mine.

Send it back. Mfg defect. Very very very strange to say the least since they are all made by machine.

I have been a professional logger for 30 years, paid by how much I get done. Tried Carlton once, probably never again. I will stick to Stihl RS or Oregon LPX.

Oregon is made in same facility. Owned by same company, blount. Would not make any sense that one chain is good and one is not. . im not refuting your claim, just saying that it doesn't make sense that it is a normal issue.

Oregon is made in same facility. Owned by same company, blount. Would not make any sense that one chain is good and one is not. . im not refuting your claim, just saying that it doesn't make sense that it is a normal issue.

You know all this for sure that both brands of chain are made in the same building, same machines setup by the same people? How do you know that?

If that's the case why is the WP/Carlton priced cheaper? I have my opinion on that.

It's obvious you really don't know as much about this stuff as your trying to let on. You don't even know where its all made.

I got a couple reels of WP and Carlton chain here, guess what sport, it says right on the box where its made. 100_9942 (Custom).JPG 100_9943 (Custom).JPG

Latest posts

Back