WoodlandPRO 20RC vs Stihl 23RS chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Sport"??? Really??? Its based on information the mfg supplies. Send it back if its no good. Tell baileys what they sent you is junk. Like i said 5 posts ago. Ill go grab a random roll of stihl chain that has imperfections on it and say that all stihl chain is junk and complain abount how bad it is but keep it on the shelf? For what purpose does it serve to keep junk around?

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Blame it on the canadians apparently.

I do not claim to be a pro, but my buddy averages in the hundreds of cords a year in firewood he sells or burns himself. I got him setup with the woodland pro chain and he loves it for the price.
I've only used their 3/8 .050" chain, but I've used 20" full chisel, 24" full chisel, 24" ripping, and have some .325 on back order. All have been great and take to sharpening both my file or grinder very well.
We're not saying you're wrong, but you're awful close-minded if you let one sample make your mind up without even seeing if they will make it right...

Yep I've run all three, Stihl RS, Oregon LPX and WP...in 3/8"......it's just like everything else...the more you pay the better it gets....I really like RS but the price is to high, so only buy that when in a pinch....really like it though. Oregon is next....like it too.....price way better....generally my choice....now we get to WP... Cheapest of the lot...and it's visible.....the cutters themselves are no where near as smooth as either of the others......looks like they were shot peened.....and as Mark stated......out of the box...hopelessly dull.....useless...MUST be sharpened before use. That said the 3/8" has given good service once tuned. Wears fairly good....in the end the few $$$ you save in buying WP is used in time spent to make a new out of the box chain cut decent......and it will.....but you have to know how to do that and have less money than time to waste.....which was where I was when I bought my first loops of WP....it isn't that it's bad.....it just isn't good....YOU have to make it good....

To each their own. My woodlandpro chain hasn't been any worse than the others out of the box. At half the price I think I'll stick with it. I can't say I spend any more time sharpening it than the others, either.

At least it's not Chinese, right?!

"Sport"??? Really??? Its based on information the mfg supplies. Send it back if its no good. Tell baileys what they sent you is junk. Like i said 5 posts ago. Ill go grab a random roll of stihl chain that has imperfections on it and say that all stihl chain is junk and complain abount how bad it is but keep it on the shelf? For what purpose does it serve to keep junk around?

You really know don't you. Who says I never sent that roll of chain back? I never said that and I never said that is the only time I have found manufacturing problems with that chain. Who says I don't still buy that chain? Who said I buy my chain from Baileys? Your doing a lot of speculation.

That roll I pictured was bought not too long ago, I said before that the Semi Chisel isn't as bad as the others and I keep that here for a reason but that reason is not for me to use it.

You got stock in Carlton? You act like I insulted your mother, I said before that its ok to have your own opinion and buy what you want, I laid out the case why I don't use it myself and that's it.

You talk like you know whats going on, show some proof, I showed one thing that proves you were wrong.

You keep this going, why? Let it go, the world now knows you like Carlton chain.

To each their own. My woodlandpro chain hasn't been any worse than the others out of the box. At half the price I think I'll stick with it. I can't say I spend any more time sharpening it than the others, either.

At least it's not Chinese, right?!

At this point do we really know its not Chinese? :laugh:

Use what you want it what I said before.

And I will use what I like. Again, for me it's 95% of the performance for 50% of the price.

Romad props to you for being a JTAC. 181st?

I do not claim to be a pro, but my buddy averages in the hundreds of cords a year in firewood he sells or burns himself. I got him setup with the woodland pro chain and he loves it for the price.
I've only used their 3/8 .050" chain, but I've used 20" full chisel, 24" full chisel, 24" ripping, and have some .325 on back order. All have been great and take to sharpening both my file or grinder very well.
We're not saying you're wrong, but you're awful close-minded if you let one sample make your mind up without even seeing if they will make it right...

More speculation on your part as well , if you think I'm closed minded and only experienced one sample.

"I bought a roll of that stuff once"

That's what you said, with no further elaboration at first. We can only go off what you say dude. No need to get so damn defensive over it. Thanks for elaborating with your experience once pressed.

That's what you said, with no further elaboration at first. We can only go off what you say dude. No need to get so damn defensive over it. Thanks for elaborating with your experience once pressed.

Go back and read it again, there was no period at the end of the quote you posted.

At this point do we really know its not Chinese? :laugh:

Use what you want it what I said before.

Well I can tell ya right now that even though WP is perhaps made by Carlton...it is nothing like Carlton branded chain.....a lot of Carlton branded chain comes through my shop on clients saws and it looks comparable to Oregon in fit and finish......WP...not so much....just plain cruder looking....if you don't know any better it's probably great.......I don't buy it any more......been there done that......now I have more $$$ than time to waste......

Romad props to you for being a JTAC. 181st?

I served from 1994-2007... 19th ASOS (Fort Campbell), then off to the 1st ASOS (Germany).. Got tired of going to war (Iraq) and doing something different.

Well I can tell ya right now that even though WP is perhaps made by Carlton...it is nothing like Carlton branded chain.....a lot of Carlton branded chain comes through my shop on clients saws and it looks comparable to Oregon in fit and finish......WP...not so much....just plain cruder looking....if you don't know any better it's probably great.......I don't buy it any more......been there done that......now I have more $$$ than time to waste......

I agree with that Robin, we sold Carlton at the shop I worked at back in the 70's and it was decent, but most guys still bought the Oregon and we quit selling the Carlton.

The WP chain gets worse all the time, the last full chisel I had in here had rakers varying from like .020 to .030. Like you said, it used to be just dull now its just too much work filing back cutters to match a bunch of .030 rakers.

I'll tell you why I still have it here, it's because its cheap and I keep it for the hillbillies and nitwits that bring saws in here for me to work on or sharpen their chains that are so screwed up I won't spend the time to sharpen them.

They don't know any better and you can't tell them much. I charge a good buck for it and send them on there way to trash it anyway,

I agree with that Robin, we sold Carlton at the shop I worked at back in the 70's and it was decent, but most guys still bought the Oregon and we quit selling the Carlton.

The WP chain gets worse all the time, the last full chisel I had in here had rakers varying from like .020 to .030. Like you said, it used to be just dull now its just too much work filing back cutters to match a bunch of .030 rakers.

I'll tell you why I still have it here, it's because its cheap and I keep it for the hillbillies and nitwits that bring saws in here for me to work on or sharpen their chains that are so screwed up I won't spend the time to sharpen them.

They don't know any better and you can't tell them much. I charge a good buck for it and send them on there way to trash it anyway,

HaHaha.......well you know what they say about the Hoss and the water.....LOL!!!

I'm from southern Indiana myself and I can honestly say I don't know anyone who runs the W/P chain or even any dealers who sell it. I wouldn't mind trying a loop to see for myself what its like !
I have run Windsor, Carlton, Oregon and Stihl. In my opinion, Stihl stays sharper and lasts longer than the rest, so the extra $ is worth it for me.

All the timber guys and firewood cutters I know, run Stihl and Oregon.

Can someone from this area tell me a dealer who sells it so I can grab a loop to see what its like.

I'm from southern Indiana myself and I can honestly say I don't know anyone who runs the W/P chain or even any dealers who sell it. I wouldn't mind trying a loop to see for myself what its like !
I have run Windsor, Carlton, Oregon and Stihl. In my opinion, Stihl stays sharper and lasts longer than the rest, so the extra $ is worth it for me.

All the timber guys and firewood cutters I know, run Stihl and Oregon.

Can someone from this area tell me a dealer who sells it so I can grab a loop to see what its like.

You will find it on ebay sometimes if you just have to try it. Looking at your sig, I hope you ain't going for the .325.

First time I tried to cut with that stuff I had to stop the saw and look to make sure I didn't put the chain on backwards. I was disappointed when I seen I had not.

Oregon is made in same facility. Owned by same company, blount. Would not make any sense that one chain is good and one is not. . im not refuting your claim, just saying that it doesn't make sense that it is a normal issue.

I think you will find that is not 100% correct, Blount have a good few factories ranging from USA , Canada South America Europe, Asia & possibly China.you can buy a Blount chain loop that the cutters,pre sets,& tie straps could be produced in different facility's & maybe assembled in yet another factory I understand it's a factory output thing which is understandable. My take is, some years back Carlton was good chain. It sort of disappeared from our area to be replaced by Windsor, some 2 years or so ago it returned but was not of the same quality & i've found some problems similar to Mark. The N1C chain was still good but at that time some 91VXL Oregon loops suffered from " Chatter" out of the box.It appears that possibly Blount are having consistent quality problems All this depends on type & amount of use What could be thought of as OK for the occasional user would be considered not acceptable for constant usage As an aside I purchased a 3/8 Lo Pro chain from Huztl/ Farmertec & as of 3 or so weeks use it is performing /staying sharp as well as chains costing 2.5 or more times expensive

What part of Indiana are you in, I am around Muncie/Yorktown area

Latest posts

Back