Woodlot saw choices

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob621

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My old saw (Jonsereds 621) has gone to Valhalla. I bought it used 27 years ago to clear the house lot and then for bucking wood for fireplace.
Now we are burning 5-6 cords a year for heat and hot water.
The woodlot is 12-18" trees. The 16" bar on the old saw was fine. The old saw was built like a tank, but also weighed a ton, and seemed to get heavier over the years.

My dealer would like to sell me a new Jonsered 2152 ($430) or 2159 ($500). It seems that I see a lot more dealers and articles on Stihls and Huskies (plenty of local dealers, too), so I'm interested in alternatives from Stihl (260 (is the Pro worth the extra $$?, 361), or Husky (353 or 359).

I'm interested in two things:
- what saw to buy
- where to buy (e-bay, web store dealer, big box store)

Can't buy stihl online. Only ebay or dealer. As I don't have any experience with the others I won't answer to the others. Evan

For stihl a 361, for husky -- 359 (same as 2159). Any of these saws will replace your old jonsered well, be lighter, and have more power. They are all good choices. Seems like the old jony never did you wrong.

The prices the dealer shot you aren't bad. I would stay away from e sales. Buy it from your dealer and use that warranty.

For stihl a 361, for husky -- 359 (same as 2159). Any of these saws will replace your old jonsered well, be lighter, and have more power. They are all good choices. Seems like the old jony never did you wrong.

I have a Jonsereds Raket 621 from the first year (1970), that is still going strong. It was my father-in-laws wood lot saw, until he got too old, and donated it to me. The saw performs amazingly good, for a 56cc saw of that age.

Imo, the perfect replacement will be the MS361, closely followed by the Husky 357xp and the Jred 2156 (basically the same saw as the Husky).

For a stock saw, I would lieve the 2159/359 alone - they have quite a bit less power, and you will probably be hard pressed to get one without a cat muffler, into the bargain.

I will second the MS361. Great pro saw with the bells and whistles.

From Husky look at the 357, or 359.

Good Luck and let us know.

For a stock saw, I would lieve the 2159/359 alone - they have quite a bit less power, and you will probably be hard pressed to get one without a cat muffler, into the bargain.

Nothing wrong with a 359. They can be had cheaper than a 361 or 357. Mod the muffler............cat or not this is easy!!!

361 is a very good dependable saw, cant speak on the pup:cheers:

Thank you all

Thanks to all. I get a consensus that I should drop the smaller saws off my list.

I paid a visit to my local hw store - they carry Huskies and Stihls. The Stihl 361 runs $100 more than the Husky 359, and $80 more than the 'red 2159. Sounds like the latter two saws are actually the same saw except for color and the straight handle. After all the years with a straight handle, I wonder if the Husky would just feel weird.

A couple of folks have suggested sticking with a dealer rather than mail order. Seems reasonable to me, for the $30-40 I would have saved.

I am interested in the suggestion to swap out the muffler - how hard is that to do? (just unbolt part A and replace with part B?)

Next question is to pick chain type /width to match the saw.

Thanks to all. I get a consensus that I should drop the smaller saws off my list.

I paid a visit to my local hw store - they carry Huskies and Stihls. The Stihl 361 runs $100 more than the Husky 359, and $80 more than the 'red 2159. Sounds like the latter two saws are actually the same saw except for color and the straight handle. After all the years with a straight handle, I wonder if the Husky would just feel weird.

A couple of folks have suggested sticking with a dealer rather than mail order. Seems reasonable to me, for the $30-40 I would have saved.

I am interested in the suggestion to swap out the muffler - how hard is that to do? (just unbolt part A and replace with part B?)

Yup, the 2159 would be an easy bolt-and-swap on the muffler, possibly with a bit of re-tuning afterwards. You might also wish to open up the non-cat muffler just a bit so it breathes a bit better, in which case some retuning of the carb would be necessary (possibly requiring you to trim the ends off of the limiter caps so you can richen it up enough...easy enough to do with a razor knife, a dremel, or whatever).

Get a 16" bar and run regular 3/8" pitch chain, and you'll have a SUPER firewood saw that is also capable of pulling a longer bar (up to 24" with skip chain) from time to time, if necessary. As for chain gauge, the choice of .050, .058, or .063 will largely be based on what your local shops tend to stock. Areas where .050 is popular tend to have less .058 around, and vice versa.

Ford vs. Chevy - AGAIN

I am going to unique and offer you a very unbiased opinion. Not to say that I am not biased, but we all have different needs and opinions. Buy the best you can afford, something with good dealer/warranty support in your area. If the saw you buy has the quality that it should, and you take good care of it, you should not ever need the warranty, but we are all human. I personally run two saws (yeah I know, only two for now), one is about a year old, the other was built in '84. They both run great with only a little tweak of the carb from time to time.
Bottom line is this, buy the best you can, and take good care of it. Husky, Stihl, Dolmar, Echo, Jonsered, they all make good saws, they all make a lemon once in a while. Even the best model has a bad piece now and then. Arguing brands is like fighting over Ford and Chevy. Whatever you choose, you will either love it or hate it.

"Arguing on the internet is like running in the special olympics, even if you win, you are still retarded" - Saw this on a poster a while back, just seems appropriate.

Bailey's carries a non-cat replacement for the 357/359 about $50 when you add the shipping. It's secured by 4 metric socket head screws (2 different sizes).

I must warn you the cat muffler contains components better not inhaled. If you insist on modding it PLEASE wear a respirator with purple cartridges.

Last edited:
bob621, if you like the straight handle bar, look at the 2156. :biggrinbounce2:

Agree, hopefully those are still sold without the cat muffler (make sure before you buy, they are about 30-40 USD, I believe).

Btw, the handlebar on my 621 isn't quite streight across, and the angle on the MS361 isn't that much different - not like a Husky.......:D :biggrinbounce2:

Also take note that the MS361 has an inboard clutch, unlike the Husky/Jreds in this class.

Last edited:
Modding

Thanks for the cautions on handling the cat muffler. Think I'll leave the modding until after the warranty runs out, if the heat of the cat is a problem.

Thanks for the cautions on handling the cat muffler. Think I'll leave the modding until after the warranty runs out, if the heat of the cat is a problem.

I have never run mine with the cat installed. It is an air cooled engine and running with the cat installed is like trying to cool it in a campfire IMO. Search some of the threads you'll see discolored and distorted plastic due I think to the cat.

Search for fuel threads too, seems no saw likes ethanol in the fuel/oil mix. I have posted a couple links to "Trick Racing Gasoline", probably others also.

Back