Woodpiles

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crofter

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
There is about 20 face cords here to split and that much already drying in the lean to on shop.
The power for the splitter is the backhoe hydraulics; wouldnt want to tackle that dry maple with a splittin' maul!

You got some wood there! I've always struggled the criss-cross stacking like you have shown under the lean to.

It looks like that snowblower on the tractor can move a bit of snow.

Wood Piles II

Have not had a chance to cut this stuff up yet. I know what you mean about haveing a splittr Crofter.............would not want to do any firewood without one!

Toneman; yep that is a bit gnarly to split. dont think you have to worry about Gypo higrading your pile for green gold veneer logs!

I think your right Crofter, Gypo would probalby have a lot better stuff to pick from.

Hi Frank, hold off till Feb., I will be thru the Sault in Feb on the way to the Yukon. I will help you split if you pilot.
Here's some outdoor furnace wood I cut. The log trucker says I have a heart attack and production goes up! Go figure.
Pictured is approx. 50 cords which was the bodywood from 72 trees. There are approx. 30 cords in the tops but the woodlot owner can have that.
John

John, you cut your stove wood too long for my stove. She was snapping cold here this morning so will go and split a bit by hand to warm up. I spend a fair bit of time waiting for my heart and lungs to catch up.
I park my log truck close to the front door to plug it in

Now we're loggin'

what trees are they in that cordwood?be worth good moola here. some good burning here. http://arborist.************/attachment_19029.php

Aussie, I dont think much of that wood of John's is going to firewood. Them's peelers!

Here is where my logs go.

What's that on your stove, Frank? You drying some welding rod? Do people still use that stuff? hahaha!

Glen

Crofter said:
Aussie, I dont think much of that wood of John's is going to firewood. Them's peelers!

Here is where my logs go.

just wondering what logs were on the truck,i dont even burn wood, my gas bill for the year hot water, cooking, heating is $200

That looks like hickory to me, but here in northern Ontario, we only see it when it gets turned into axe handles or hockey sticks. No leaves or bark left on it at all. Good looking wood.

The first picture is either ash or black locust, I can't tell.

In the second, I can't see enough to say what it might be except "wood".

Frank, you'd like my stacks. I've got hard maple, black cherry, red oak, white oak, bitternut hickory, shagbark hickory, white ash, green ash, black locust, honeylocust, and pecan. A half-cord minimum of each except the last two, a couple cords each of some of the others, and better than half of it all has been split and stacked for better than a year, thank you very much!

Glen

Last edited by a moderator:
Glen, you're not worried it is too dry and will burn up before you get a chance to get all the heat out of it? Lol!
Some of mine was from dying trees and it seems it doesn't want to give up its moisture. Would go to mushrooms if left in the round.

To me, wood doesn't start to season until it's been split. I normally don't keep stuff that isn't worth while to split at least once and have decent-sized pieces result, but did end up with some 2" round stuff in a couple of the stacks. Those pieces have shrooms growing on them while the rest is clean.

With the recent cold snap here, wood burners have been getting alot of attention. This load of wood is for one of my large stove customers, that is just down the road from us, he uses the wood to heat his shop. This is the way I like to do firewood cut it 18" to 2' and split it just enough to fit in a 12" door, big and coarse is the way they like it, doesn't matter what kind of wood it is as long as it is a good mix of Oak and other woods, doesn't need to be real seasoned, either. I make out better time and money wise, as it helps the wood pile shrink quicker of low grade wood plus I can unload the seconds, and I don't have to be fussy like I do with that 16" sissy wood for fireplaces.

Frank,

Is that log splitter you got in the first picture run off a tractor with live hydraulics off the rear end??? That is a beefy splitter for sure, giving me some ideas for the future on a bigger one.

I wasn't paying any attention the first time I looked at the picture. This is the first time I have uploaded a picture since the site over haul and comparing notes so to speak, to your pic, I resized mine but it doesn't seem to matter, at least at this end anyway, don't want to ruffle Glens feathers about oversized pictures, maybe it doesn't matter anymore.

Latest posts

Back